Don't blame Canada for terrorists

KipWellsFan

http://www.canada.com/fortstjohn/story.htm...98-ef04204578d5

Cristin Schmitz Sound Off

The Ottawa Citizen

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Frank McKenna, Canada's new ambassador to Washington, came out swinging yesterday in a toughly worded letter to the New York Times, challenging that newspaper's allegation that terrorists are entering the U.S. from Canada.

In an editorial titled "Our Terrorist-Friendly Borders," published two days before Prime Minister Paul Martin met President George W. Bush March 23 to discuss broadening co-operation on border security, the Times charged that "suspected terrorists have long been entering the country from Canada."

The newspaper called it "shocking ... how little progress has been made in securing our borders. Terrorists may well be entering the country by crossing from Mexico or Canada."

In a letter to the editor on behalf of Canada, Mr. McKenna fired back.

"We take issue with your statement that 'suspected terrorists have long been entering the country from Canada,'" he wrote.

Mr. McKenna pointed out that in 2001, then-U.S. attorney general John Ashcroft acknowledged that none of the Sept. 11 hijackers entered the U.S. through Canada -- a fact recognized in the New York Times editorial. He also pointed out Canadian authorities assisted the U.S. in apprehending Ahmed Ressam in 1999.

"Since then, our two countries have implemented a 'smart border action plan' as well as national security policies, including almost $10 billion in security investments and the creation of a department similar to the Department of Homeland Security, that help keep North America closed to terrorists and open for business," Mr. McKenna wrote.

"Earlier this month, Michael Chertoff, the new (U.S.) secretary of homeland security, visited Canada and stated that together we are 'keeping terrorists out.'"

Concluded Mr. McKenna: "In open societies such as ours, we all know that no security arrangement can be 100-per-cent effective. But between Canada and the United States, the record is clear: our co-operation has reduced the threat of terrorism in both our countries."

I recently saw someone write that terrorists were coming through Canada and I'm just wondering where they got their information from?

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 07:10 PM)
http://www.canada.com/fortstjohn/story.htm...98-ef04204578d5

I recently saw someone write that terrorists were coming through Canada and I'm just wondering where they got their information from?

Terrorists have already been arrested coming in through Canada. IIRC, one was arrested trying to enter Washington state right before New Year's eve of 1999. Apparently he planned to set off a bomb in LA during the New Year celebrations.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)
Terrorists have already been arrested coming in through Canada.  IIRC, one was arrested trying to enter Washington state right before New Year's eve of 1999.  Apparently he planned to set off a bomb in LA during the New Year celebrations.

I need more information than that and since 9/11 things have tightened up. I think we're doing a pretty good job on our border.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 08:18 PM)
I need more information than that and since 9/11 things have tightened up.  I think we're doing a pretty good job on our border.

I think you guys still have a ways to go especially since you just recently let back into Canada the guy who recruited the LAX Millenium bomber.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,151541,00.html

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 10:49 PM)
I think you guys still have a ways to go especially since you just recently let back into Canada the guy who recruited the LAX Millenium bomber. 

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,151541,00.html

Well it sounds like they are probably keeping track of him and besides assassinating him there's probably nothing much else they can do. Fact is there is no perfect solution to terrorists, you can't kill em all, you can't expose em all. You need creativity.

Edit: even then this is coming from the O'Reilly Factor and I'm instantly skeptic about anything from that show.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
Well it sounds like they are probably keeping track of him and besides assassinating him there's probably nothing much else they can do.  Fact is there is no perfect solution to terrorists, you can't kill em all, you can't expose em all.  You need creativity.

Edit: even then this is coming from the O'Reilly Factor and I'm instantly skeptic about anything from that show.

The guy who brought it up was from Newsweek magazine.

I do give you guys a lot of credit for saying no to Jeremy Hinzman's claim for asylum in Canada.