im going to college

Reddy

I got into college!! I just figured i'd tell y'all that I'm gonna go to Loyola University in Chicago!! I plan to major in theatre. lol. but yeah its awesome because I'm only a few stops from the Cell on the red line so i'm freakin excited!! :headbang :gosox3:

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
I got into college!!  I just figured i'd tell y'all that I'm gonna go to Loyola University in Chicago!!  I plan to major in theatre.  lol.  but yeah its awesome because I'm only a few stops from the Cell on the red line so i'm freakin excited!! :headbang  :gosox3:

You live in one of the best college towns in America, yet you want to go to Loyola???

(UI grad, class of '97) ;)

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 08:55 PM)
You live in one of the best college towns in America, yet you want to go to Loyola???

(UI grad, class of '97) ;)

cuz i wanna be an actor, and the program at iowa sucks for undergrads. plus being in chitown will give me a leg up and more immersion in professional theatre. Iowa just cant compare to Chicago for the things I want to do.

Just curious, was/is Northwestern an option for you? Their theatre school is pretty damn good.

Just to note, I'm not trying to be an ass if it isn't (I tried to go to NU for journalism which didn't work out, ended up at the U of I ), just saying that would be an awesome opportunity.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
I got into college!!  I just figured i'd tell y'all that I'm gonna go to Loyola University in Chicago!!  I plan to major in theatre.  lol.  but yeah its awesome because I'm only a few stops from the Cell on the red line so i'm freakin excited!! :headbang  :gosox3:

More than a few. That's like a 45 minute trip if you live up near the school.

But, congrats. :cheers

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 08:59 PM)
cuz i wanna be an actor, and the program at iowa sucks for undergrads.  plus being in chitown will give me a leg up and more immersion in professional theatre.  Iowa just cant compare to Chicago for the things I want to do.

Do you know how the Loyola theatre program compares with Columbia's?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 08:59 PM)
cuz i wanna be an actor, and the program at iowa sucks for undergrads.  plus being in chitown will give me a leg up and more immersion in professional theatre.  Iowa just cant compare to Chicago for the things I want to do.

Yeah, but it's still Loyola. It's not like you can attend a decent football game at Loyola on Saturdays. And their bars aren't any good. :P

Just kidding. Best of luck to you in Chi-town.

Congrats Reddy, best of luck at Loyola!

I still haven't chosen a college yet, I was accepted to Rutgers, U of Delaware and U of Missouri, but I haven't heard from my #1 choice, UMich.

If I get into Michigan I will probably go there, otherwise Delaware or Rutgers.

QUOTE(1549 @ Apr 2, 2005 -> 09:13 AM)

I still haven't chosen a college yet, I was accepted to Rutgers, U of Delaware and U of Missouri, but I haven't heard from my #1 choice, UMich.

Your schools choices made me stop and think. I'm kinda pulling these out of the dark recesses of my brain, so if I get them wrong forgive me.

Delaware = Blue Hens

Rutgers = Scarlet Knights

Correct?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 2, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
Your schools choices made me stop and think.  I'm kinda pulling these out of the dark recesses of my brain, so if I get them wrong forgive me.

Delaware = Blue Hens

Rutgers = Scarlet Knights

Correct?

Haha correct, I think they changed it to the "Fighting blue hens"...much more intimidating lol.

Delaware is smaller compared to Rutgers and Michigan (both massive, with over 30,000), but it is a nice campus.

QUOTE(1549 @ Apr 2, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
Haha correct, I think they changed it to the "Fighting blue hens"...much more intimidating lol.

Delaware is smaller compared to Rutgers and Michigan (both massive, with over 30,000), but it is a nice campus.

Fighting Blue Hens? WOW! That IS intimidating! ;)

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 02:53 AM)
Do you know how the Loyola theatre program compares with Columbia's?

im not too sure, i have heard that columbia has a good program as well but i havent done a whole lot of research into it. I do know that columbia, as well as loyola, is a BA in theatre as opposed to DePauls BFA which im not a huge fan of.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 1, 2005 -> 01:08 AM)
Just curious, was/is Northwestern an option for you? Their theatre school is pretty damn good.

Just to note, I'm not trying to be an ass if it isn't (I tried to go to NU for journalism which didn't work out, ended up at the U of I ), just saying that would be an awesome opportunity.

Well I did apply there and got rejected. lol but honestly it probably wasnt the best place for me anyway. NU is really good for theatre but in my opinion i feel like they ride mostly on reputation... and since they have this reputation they dont really have to have as good a program ya know what im saying? Also there's just this attitude of, 'i'm going to northwestern i'm better than you' up there... no offense meant to anyone that goes to NU thats just my impression of the theatre department. so thats my reasoning there. for what its worth.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Apr 2, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
Well I did apply there and got rejected. lol but honestly it probably wasnt the best place for me anyway.  NU is really good for theatre but in my opinion i feel like they ride mostly on reputation... and since they have this reputation they dont really have to have as good a program ya know what im saying?  Also there's just this attitude of, 'i'm going to northwestern i'm better than you' up there... no offense meant to anyone that goes to NU thats just my impression of the theatre department.  so thats my reasoning there.  for what its worth.

Unless you can get a significant scholarship, NU is a waste of money, IMO. Sure, their academic programs are great, but you're going to be making $400 monthy studen loan payments for the 15 years following graduation. Plus, the cost of living in Evanston is rather high and there's not much to do socially if you're outside the Greek system.

QUOTE(whitesoxmurph @ Apr 2, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
Reddy - I was just curious to see if you considered any of the schools without all the prerequisites, such as Julliard (NYC), ACT (San Francisco) or the American Academy of Dramatic Arts (NYC & LA).

i really didnt want to get a BFA which all of those offer because i think that you need to have a broader frame of reference to be an actor that a BFA doesnt give you. Plus I didnt want to be in such a cut throat environment while we're all still learning.

QUOTE(1549 @ Apr 2, 2005 -> 09:13 AM)

How did you decide on those schools? Very unique choices when viewed as a group.