9/11

LowerCaseRepublican

Apu, do you really love this country? Id like to be an optimist and say you do but sometimes you just seem to be rather anti-American. Which is it?

I love the basic tenets that this country is supposedly built on. What I don't appreciate is the destruction of free speech (see Emma Goldman, Eugene V. Debs, Doves during Vietnam, etc. etc. etc. etc.) and the destruction of human rights that the United States has done on the homefront and abroad.

I'd expect something better from the country touted as "the world's only superpower"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of times, people say there free speech is being violated, but they are wrong. When there was a large backlash against Danny Glover, he said, 'oh what about free speech, I can hate america'. Well, obviously he does not understand that if we are just as free as he is and we can have the right to boycott him if we disagree with him. And you can't blame mci for getting rid of a spokesperson that nobody likes.

A lot of times, people say there free speech is being violated, but they are wrong.  When there was a large backlash against Danny Glover, he said, 'oh what about free speech, I can hate america'.  Well, obviously he does not understand that if we are just as free as he is and we can have the right to boycott him if we disagree with him.  And you can't blame mci for getting rid of a spokesperson that nobody likes.

1549, I am talking about things like the Espionage Act during World War I that gave people 10 year PRISON TERMS for speaking out at rallies against the war. Just for speaking. Emma Goldman being arrested and deported for being against US imperialism. The Heymarket affair and the following Palmer Raids, the union busting of the early industrialized United States, etc. etc. etc. There are things too many to mention.

A lot of times, people say there free speech is being violated, but they are wrong.  When there was a large backlash against Danny Glover, he said, 'oh what about free speech, I can hate america'.  Well, obviously he does not understand that if we are just as free as he is and we can have the right to boycott him if we disagree with him.  And you can't blame mci for getting rid of a spokesperson that nobody likes.

Tis a shame. I used to think Danny Glover was a pretty good actor. But that was when I was like five and a total optimist, I couldnt criticize anyone. Now, he can go to hell...

1549, I am talking about things like the Espionage Act during World War I that gave people 10 year PRISON TERMS for speaking out at rallies against the war. Just for speaking. Emma Goldman being arrested and deported for being against US imperialism. The Heymarket affair and the following Palmer Raids, the union busting of the early industrialized United States, etc. etc. etc. There are things too many to mention.

Don't cite the heymarket affair as an example, 1886 Chicago justice is completely irrelevant to any problems in todays society. The damn anarchists that were convicted probably had something to do with it anyway. As for WWI, this was the first time there actually were people speaking out against war as they did. Obviously things have changed because I don't recall protesting landing anybody in prison for 10 years during this war that just passed. Emma Goldman was a skank, she complained about everything from the russian revolution to a draft. She just wanted attention. there is nothing wrong with union busting, if I owned a business and the workers went on strike I would want to break it up too. the only unfair tactics were yellow dog contracts and black lists.