UNC vs. Illinois

What a matchup this will be, two great teams, lots of great players, two of the classiest coaches in all of sports. Felton and McCants should pretty much cancel out with Williams and Brown, so it should come down to how Illini handles May down low, and how UNC handles Head on the perimeter. What a treat this will be for even the casual fans, two beautiful passing teams and lots of grit from guys like Roger Powell and Jawad Williams. Needless to say, I'm more than excited.

(hopefully my nails grow back by then because DAMN they hurt right now)

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Apr 3, 2005 -> 04:12 AM)
What a matchup this will be, two great teams, lots of great players, two of the classiest coaches in all of sports. Felton and McCants should pretty much cancel out with Williams and Brown, so it should come down to how Illini handles May down low, and how UNC handles Head on the perimeter. What a treat this will be for even the casual fans, two beautiful passing teams and lots of grit from guys like Roger Powell and Jawad Williams. Needless to say, I'm more than excited.

(hopefully my nails grow back by then because DAMN they hurt right now)

I saw a lot of really great basketball tonight. Plays that made me say wow. I really appreciate that kind of basketball and it was a pure joy to watch. Monday night should be more of the same.

It should be a damn good game, both teams played very well in the second half tonight. I think in the end, as I've said in every big game for the Illini, it'll come down to outside shooting. They depend heavily on the three and jump shooting, and excluding the second half tonight, haven't been getting a whole lot of easy baskets in the later part of the season (which is weird because they did that so well early in the year). I expect UNC to be able to do a lot of the same things Arizona did inside, so outside shooting and fast break opportunities will be huge.

I'm indifferent to who wins, but on my way home from church I had The Score on, and the two calls I heard were from UNC fans, giving other good UNC fans a bad name. Saying stupid stuff like, "Every team that beat UNC was good and went on to the tourney while Illinois lost to a team that went nowhere." Completely neglecting SANTA CLARA and the fact that Illinoi was beating OSU for 39 minutes and 55 seconds.

Here is to a good game but after hearing those ignorant UNC fans, I have to pull for Illinois.

QUOTE(Brian @ Apr 3, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
I'm indifferent to who wins, but on my way home from church I had The Score on, and the two calls I heard were from UNC fans, giving other good UNC fans a bad name. Saying stupid stuff like, "Every team that beat UNC was good and went on to the tourney while Illinois lost to a team that went nowhere." Completely neglecting SANTA CLARA and the fact that Illinoi was beating OSU for 39 minutes and 55 seconds.

Here is to a good game but after hearing those ignorant UNC fans, I have to pull for Illinois.

I was just checking out a Carolina board and they are slamming the hell outta Weber, saying he is the poster child as to why you shouldn't smoke...

:headshake

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 3, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)
I was just checking out a Carolina board and they are slamming the hell outta Weber, saying he is the poster child as to why you shouldn't smoke...

:headshake

f*** UNC. Webers better than their f***in loser ass coach williams who will never win s***.

This game is going to be intense. Aside from the game my interest is piqued as to what these campuses will be like after the game (since I'm at UIUC), the win against Louisville was the beginnings of pandemonium.

Reports say that there were 5,000+ people out. I can only imagine what's going to happen after this game is over.

From yesterday after the game against Louisville

312449848PvEAez_ph.jpg

What board were you reading? InsideCarolina.com is the best board, and even the non-premium has more than its fair share of "trolls" posing as UNC fans. Don't think just because some UNC fans are dumb, that all of UNC is like that. UNC has tons of bandwagon fans right now, and ignorance comes with that. These are alot of the same people that were UConn fans last year, Syracuse the year before etc. UNC fans have a dislike for Weber's voice because it sounds very similar to our arch rival NC State's football coach, those that make fun of him for it just can't find anything else to bash him about.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Apr 3, 2005 -> 06:24 PM)
Don't get me wrong either, there are more than enough arrogant UNC fans around the nation. It pisses me off just as much as other fans, I HATE arrogance. I was looking around on the Illini boards at Insiders and found this great link.

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/sportsnews.wmv

ROFL yeah I saw that on there

:lolhitting Poor guy

Alright i'm back from St Louis, albeit for a short time. Heading back tomorrow around noon.

What an atmosphere the final four is. People are just everywhere, everyone is pumped up, talking, drinking, high-fiving...it's just awesome. St Louis is nice in that you can walk around everywhere...like Illini headquarters is behind Busch Stadium, and the Dome is still walking distance from it.

I spent much of the day at the headquarters, only had like 2 beers (for having a beer sake) because there's no point being drunk for a game. Hell, i'm drunk on emotion anyway at that point. Anyway, one pretty cool thing that happened was i met Chris Fowler of ESPN within 5 minutes of parking my car. He was crossing the street and approaching me while on his phone (with a nice suit on, might i add) and i'm like "Hi Chris Fowler and he said hi and shook my hand. Pretty sweet. Oh i also saw Phil Martelli, St Joes coach just walking around. St Louis has really done a good job with this final four.

The game...it was pretty damn orange in there, and the whole msu/illini cheering section was pretty cool, kind of a unique thing. What an atmosphere inside the place.

Powell...what a game. He made the difference, that and Deron on Garcia. 4 pts? That makes 2 in a row for Deron...Salim and now Garcia. Solid job by Deron tonight on defense. It was nice to relax for the final few minutes. Dribbling the clock out is one of my favorite things in sports.

So it all comes down to one game. The matchup everyone wanted is here. Both teams belong to be here...they've both played some tough games along the way. In my mind, it's a 50/50 game. Complete tossup. It may sound stupid, but whoever shows up and makes more plays is going to win. I'm confident in my team, but nervous as hell, if that makes any sense. UNC is good, real good. I'd say they even have more talent than we do...not that it makes a huge difference. But wow, what a game this will be.

I'm trying to just relax tonight, and as funny as this sounds...not even think about it. Good luck with that, right? I can't handle being nervous for another full day, i need to try to put it off til i wake up tomorrow. I'm gonna be there at the game. The most important game of my life to date and possibly for the rest of my life. I'm gonna enjoy this experience to the fullest.

Palehose, good luck and may the best team win. We win, you won't find me rubbing it in to anyone (whenever i get back). I don't even look at opposing team's fans after the games, i know exactly what that feeling is like, you just look for orange people and high five them.

Anyway...less than 24 hours til tip. A national championship. It's kind of hard to fathom. One game season. One game for everything. And i'm there. This is just a dream. Let's just hope the dream doesn't end here.

Oskee Wow Wow

Palehose, good luck and may the best team win. We win, you won't find me rubbing it in to anyone (whenever i get back). I don't even look at opposing team's fans after the games, i know exactly what that feeling is like, you just look for orange people and high five them.

Classy post IK, I will do the same about not rubbing it in to anyone. Good luck to the Illini, you guys have a very classy program and a hell of a team. Here's to hoping this run will greatly improve your recruiting so you guys can be back many many more times in the future, I have a very hard time ever rooting against the Illini. Classy coach and great fans, great team play, whats not to like? :cheers

lol, Felton was a good shooter in high school, but he had a funky angle with his elbow when shooting and somehow it didn't translate into the college game. But he changed his elbow to where its straight up and down instead of at an angle and took 600-700 shots a day during the summer, which thankfully translated into much better shooting this year from outside. He still has alot of work to do on FT's though at 69%.