UNC vs. Illinois

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 11:00 PM)
Yeah man, I remember in 2000 when we got swept away by the M's I cried a lot. I was only in 6th grade at the time, but it still sucked. I couldn't imagine if it was the WS after having the greatest season in the history of the franchise. Also, after we lost this kid, a cubs fan, called me and rubbed it in my face that we lost. I didn't become friends with him again until this year. So yeah, I took that loss pretty hard.

Yeah, after that squeeze I just ran for my room and cried. I loved that team so much and they were gone. As Hawk would say, 'Poof.'

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 11:14 PM)
Absolutely true. They are only ahead of MSU and Northwestern in recruiting in the Big Ten.

Hey, not fair, NU has no available scholarships this season! :lol: Everyone is coming back! :headbang

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 11:20 PM)
Did Shaun Pruitt become a terrible player overnight?  Have the Illini given up on him?

He wasn't ready to play this year, but he does have nice size and athleticism as well as a nice touch around the hoop. I think by his junior year he could be an all big 10 performer.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 04:29 AM)
He wasn't ready to play this year, but he does have nice size and athleticism as well as a nice touch around the hoop.  I think by his junior year he could be an all big 10 performer.

So would one not be able to say they have a pretty nice player "coming in" next year that doesn't show up on the recruiting lists??

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 10:27 PM)
Yeah, after that squeeze I just ran for my room and cried. I loved that team so much and they were gone. As Hawk would say, 'Poof.'

Hey, not fair, NU has no available scholarships this season! :lol:  Everyone is coming back! :headbang

Not Tj Parker for some stupid reason.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 11:32 PM)
So would one not be able to say they have a pretty nice player "coming in" next year that doesn't show up on the recruiting lists??

Plus they are adding Marcus Arnold who was a solid player at ISU, Brock who was the Sun Times player of the year who redshirted and Brian Randle who also redshirted.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 12:36 AM)
:huh: Where in the hell did you hear that?

Oh yeah I heard about that too, he's gone down to Texas to train with his brother. I think he hired an agent too.

QUOTE(El Piervizdyeguchansodnik @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 10:10 PM)
There you go Illinois fans.

They were interviewing an Illinois fan after the game at Joe's and right near the end some guy in the background yelled "GO WHITE SOX!!!"

So, there you go. It's not the end of the world.  :P

There was a fairly large roup of people chanting "Lets go White Sox!" on Green Street.

as for the the outcome of the game; :banghead :chair :puke :crying

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
Oh yeah, Illiniboard.com has Greg Oden listed as a possibility. It says the Illini, Indiana and WF are the teams interested.

Rivals doesn't even have him sniffing illini when it comes to being interested.

The 3 point line definitely needs to be moved back, it affects the outcome of games way too much. I've seen a bunch of games where a team gets dominated in every other facet of the game and still wins by 4 because they had a ridiculously hot night shooting, and it just frustrates the hell out of me.

Too bad for the Illini, they really played well in the second half, they just had too much of a lead to surmount. They could still be a threat next year however. Williams looks like he's gone, but Brown and Augustine should almost certainly be back, giving them two pretty solid players, and guys like Arnold, Carter, McBride, and Randle should be able to step it up a bit. They won't be as good as this year, but they would still be dangerous. They really need to start recruiting better soon though. You can get by with one or two 3-star starters, but you need some stars, or at least solid recruits to really stay on the top level. Look at this year's team. Brown was a McDonald's All American, Williams, Augustine, and Head were all top 100, and Powell was a borderline top 100. They should be able to get by for next year, but they really need to get some big timers starting next season (unless they get Rush, that would buy them some time). Not every big time recruit pans out, but a lot of them do. It's really unfair to rip on guys like Randolph though. Not only has he had a bunch of injury problems, but he also plays on a team loaded with other McDonald's All-Americans like Ewing, Redick, Williams, Dockery, and Nelson, and might have developed more if Loul Deng(another one) hadn't taken all those minutes at PF. Put him somewhere where there isn't as much competition for time and not as much pressure and he'd probably be doing a lot better.

Sorry Danman, but Parker is leaving Northwestern (saw it on ESPN, was in the Daily Herald too). He's going to take a shot at the NBA draft, and go play in Europe if that doesn't work out. Kind of sucks, but they might get by as long as Vedran doesn't do the same thing.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)
Dee was high school NHS, Engram is an engineer and I believe Nick Smith is a grad student in either accounting or finance.  So we've got some brains on our team.

Dee's going to need that brain of his to make money because he's not going to do it via the NBA. Great college player, but too short for the pros.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 11:27 PM)
On ESPN, they were talking about this and Digger Phelps said he would be surprised if it wasn't moved back by next year. I agree, it is too easy.

LOL! They're going to move back the three-point line because it's "too easy" to make baskets??? Are they going to move the hoop up one foot as well because it's "too easy" to dunk?

Yeah, that's exactly what we need: Less excitement in basketball. The scoring should be comparable to hockey. :rolly

Man I am so pissed about the game last night.. If Augustine wouldnt have dissapeared we would have won, no question about it

0 points and fouled out IIRC with plenty of time left.. That is why we lost the game last night

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 06:14 AM)
LOL!  They're going to move back the three-point line because it's "too easy" to make baskets???  Are they going to move the hoop up one foot as well because it's "too easy" to dunk?

Yeah, that's exactly what we need: Less excitement in basketball.  The scoring should be comparable to hockey.  :rolly

When guys like even Roger Powell could step out and shoot a 3, yes it is too easy.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 11:21 AM)
When guys like even Roger Powell could step out and shoot a 3, yes it is too easy.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. Your typical big guy should not be able to step out and hit 3's.

19'9" is too close. I would rather see them go to the international line of 21'6".

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 11:25 AM)
That's pretty much how I feel about it.  Your typical big guy should not be able to step out and hit 3's.

19'9" is too close.  I would rather see them go to the international line of 21'6".

Powell is only like 6'5 and even so still shot about 39% from 3pt so I dont think using Powell as an example of a "big man" shooting is accurate

More like if Augustine was hitting 3's... but Powell is capeable of shooting and making the 3pointer