UNC vs. Illinois

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
Powell is only like 6'5 and even so still shot about 39% from 3pt so I dont think using Powell as an example of a "big man" shooting is accurate

More like if Augustine was hitting 3's... but Powell is capeable of shooting and making the 3pointer

You are quoting the wrong guy about Powell. I didn't mention anyone specifically.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
Powell is only like 6'5 and even so still shot about 39% from 3pt so I dont think using Powell as an example of a "big man" shooting is accurate

More like if Augustine was hitting 3's... but Powell is capeable of shooting and making the 3pointer

6-7.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 12:56 PM)
6-7.

Powell is listed at 6-6 and i am not sure if they do it with their shoes off or not. I know they do it when they are scouting them... but if that listing is with his shoes on he is even shorter.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
Powell is listed at 6-6 and i am not sure if they do it with their shoes off or not. I know they do it when they are scouting them... but if that listing is with his shoes on he is even shorter.

Without, that's why I said 6-7. I remember Jay Bilas and Billy Packer also having him as 6-7 with shoes.

I think a better example would be Kevin Pittsnoggle, a 6'11" white guy, nearly carrying his 7 seeded team to the final four because of where the 3 point line is. I know he is a pretty good shooter, but there is no way a guy who wasn't even a starter on his team for a good chunk of the year should be able to hit 6 3's in a game and average 3 made per tourney game.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 11:51 AM)
You are quoting the wrong guy about Powell.  I didn't mention anyone specifically.

Yes I know I was just quoting your statement about the line and big men and talking to the other poster.. I didnt mean to seem like I was talking to you, my bad

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 06:49 PM)
Powell is NOT 6'7

He is 6'6 MAX

I'm just going by what the analysts are saying. But whoever came up with the Pittsnoggle example is right. That is a better example. A 19 foot jumper isn't hard. If it was at least the international line, that would be a little bit harder, but I suggest moving it to a legit 22 feet away from the rim. Then you wouldn't have guys who shouldn't be able to hit 3's hitting them.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 07:03 PM)
I'm just going by what the analysts are saying. But whoever came up with the Pittsnoggle example is right. That is a better example. A 19 foot jumper isn't hard. If it was at least the international line, that would be a little bit harder, but I suggest moving it to a legit 22 feet away from the rim. Then you wouldn't have guys who shouldn't be able to hit 3's hitting them.

Yesterday Jay Bilas was talking about it and said hes more like 6'5.. I never heard anyone say he was 6'7, or even close..

And I dont think its fair to hate on the big men who have the touch to shoot the long ball.. Its the style they play in Europe, the big men arent just stuck on the inside they can pop the three.. I like the 3 point line where it is

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
Yesterday Jay Bilas was talking about it and said hes more like 6'5.. I never heard anyone say he was 6'7, or even close..

And I dont think its fair to hate on the big men who have the touch to shoot the long ball.. Its the style they play in Europe, the big men arent just stuck on the inside they can pop the three.. I like the 3 point line where it is

I could understand if it was a legit 3 point shot. If it was at least international, I wouldn't have anything to say about big man hitting it except more power to them. But 19 feet isn't anything. Lots of people could hit that shot consistantly. My cousin who's a girl and has never played any sport that involved a ball can hit is consistantly with a guy's ball. Especially from the two wings. And no, I didn't see her play just once, she plays with me and a bunch of guys at my school at least twice a week. I just tell her to stay at a wing and if she's open just to hit it. It goes in about 50% of the time. It's way to easy of a shot.

A quick NBA/college comparison concerning 3 pointers. There are 20 college teams that make more than 8.5 threes per game, with 8 of them averaging 9 or more (including Louisville, Duke, and Illinois). Only Phoenix makes more than that number in the pros, and only 2 teams hit more than 8, even with the extra 8 minutes per game. Also, 12 college teams shot better than 40% from the arc during the regular season. Not a single pro team did this, and only Phoenix was even close. This shows how much more of a factor 3 point shooting is in college basketball. It is clearly much easier to make a three in college and is a much bigger part of the game. It also makes up a much larger percentage of the team's scoring, considering that only Charlotte averages fewer points per game than national leader UNC. I'm not against the 3 pointer, but let's make people work to get those 3's. Keeping the line that close puts too great an emphasis on outside shooting to the detriment of other facets of the game. I love college basketball, but I'd rather see teams running plays to get good shots close to the basket than everything revolving around the 3 pointer. Some of these games have turned into giant 3 point shootouts, like the WV-Louisville game. The open 3 is the easiest shot to get because of all of the ground the D needs to cover, and the reward for making is simply too great right now. Moving the line back should drop this emphasis and also allow more room inside the arc to run plays and get better shots, and weaker shooters would have to limit their shots or draw the coaches ire. I really think it would make for a much better game to watch.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
Your cousin hits better then practically every college player if that's the case...

Take just about any above average college shooter and put them in a typical pickup game and they would shoot the lights out. The defense played by any college team would be light years better. Watch most of these guys warm up and the better shooters can hit 75-80 percent of their 3's.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 08:47 PM)
Take just about any above average college shooter and put them in a typical pickup game and they would shoot the lights out. The defense played by any college team would be light years better. Watch most of these guys warm up and the better shooters can hit 75-80 percent of their 3's.

50% is still extraordinarily high for someone that has never played the game before.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 05:25 PM)
That's pretty much how I feel about it.  Your typical big guy should not be able to step out and hit 3's.

19'9" is too close.  I would rather see them go to the international line of 21'6".

Why not? 6'9 or 6'10 guys are now often able to dribble the ball and bring it up court. 6'7 guys are playing shooting guard. The game has changed. Whether the line is the right distance or not, should not have anything to do with a player of a certain size being able to shoot it.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 01:41 AM)
A quick NBA/college comparison concerning 3 pointers. There are 20 college teams that make more than 8.5 threes per game, with 8 of them averaging 9 or more (including Louisville, Duke, and Illinois). Only Phoenix makes more than that number in the pros, and only 2 teams hit more than 8, even with the extra 8 minutes per game. Also, 12 college teams shot better than 40% from the arc during the regular season. Not a single pro team did this, and only Phoenix was even close. This shows how much more of a factor 3 point shooting is in college basketball. It is clearly much easier to make a three in college and is a much bigger part of the game. It also makes up a much larger percentage of the team's scoring, considering that only Charlotte averages fewer points per game than national leader UNC. I'm not against the 3 pointer, but let's make people work to get those 3's. Keeping the line that close puts too great an emphasis on outside shooting to the detriment of other facets of the game. I love college basketball, but I'd rather see teams running plays to get good shots close to the basket than everything revolving around the 3 pointer. Some of these games have turned into giant 3 point shootouts, like the WV-Louisville game. The open 3 is the easiest shot to get because of all of the ground the D needs to cover, and the reward for making is simply too great right now. Moving the line back should drop this emphasis and also allow more room inside the arc to run plays and get better shots, and weaker shooters would have to limit their shots or draw the coaches ire. I really think it would make for a much better game to watch.

The lane is wider in the NBA, is it not?? FWIW, I don't want the college game being anything like the NBA, so that would not be incentive for me to change the distance.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)
50% is still extraordinarily high for someone that has never played the game before.

Yeah especially for a girl

which is why I dont believe what he said..

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
The lane is wider in the NBA, is it not??  FWIW, I don't want the college game being anything like the NBA, so that would not be incentive for me to change the distance.

I don't want them to make any changes besides the 3 point line, although they probably will. There are already too few decent post players in college, we don't need to make that any worse. We don't need a 24 second shot clock, or 4 12 minute quarters, or any of the other NBA characteristics either. I'd just like to see it be a little tougher to get a made 3 pointer. Moving the line back won't affect guys like Redick or Stoudamire, it'd just make the poor/mediocre/decent 3 point shooters either get better or stop shooting. I'd like to see more penetration, backdooor cuts, mid range jumpers, and post play, which would be necessary for more teams with a 3 point line that is more like the international one.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 08:05 PM)
Why not? 6'9 or 6'10 guys are now often able to dribble the ball and bring it up court.  6'7 guys are playing shooting guard.  The game has changed.  Whether the line is the right distance or not, should not have anything to do with a player of a certain size being able to shoot it.

And none of those guys are "typical". Those are special players at the college level.

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 08:18 PM)
Yeah especially for a girl

which is why I dont believe what he said..

I'm dead serious. She didn't even bother to play defense, she just stayed there and when she got the ball she shot. Hell she made the game winning shot from there in the 2nd game we played. It's not hard at all. I've seen Junior High Kids eat that with ease as well. Swear to God, it's not a lie.

I don't know about girls shooting, but I know I made 3/4 almost every game during my days playing AAU ball when I was younger. I actually hit 7/7 in one game, so that should tell you something. I actually saw my nemesis on the court make 17! 3's in a game, he was a ridiculous shooter, I was always the 2nd best shooter behind him because I wasn't nearly as aggressive. But I have a feeling it would have been much tougher from 22 feet every shot.

I also play 21 tip with my g/f now and she never played basketball in her life, but after only a few games she could hit 5-6-7-8 free throws in a row, I was amazed.