White House Control of Ex-Pres Schedule?

Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
Plus the religion President cannot send someone else to such a big event. He needs to solidify the GOP's mutual love fest with religious groups. This may cost him some points with fundamentalist Christians who view Catholicism as a cult, but for the most it will be popular and beneficial.

I don't think going to the funeral will cost him as much as ordering the flags at half staff. I was surprised about that.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 07:34 AM)
I know a lot of liberals who attend church.  I wasn't putting you into the "nihilist" category and don't see how you drew that conclusion. :huh:

FWIW, my grandmother (a Presbyterian) disowned two of her daughters because one married a Catholic and the other married a Jew.  I agree that Christians hating Christians (or Jews or Muslims, for that matter) is stupid.

I think the phrase that got me was "nihilist progressives on the left". I just get really frustrated hearing about how if you're left you're some kind of godless heathen.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 07:34 AM)
I know a lot of liberals who attend church.  I wasn't putting you into the "nihilist" category and don't see how you drew that conclusion. :huh:

FWIW, my grandmother (a Presbyterian) disowned two of her daughters because one married a Catholic and the other married a Jew.  I agree that Christians hating Christians (or Jews or Muslims, for that matter) is stupid.

Christians hating anyone is stupid... but then again what does the bible know.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 07:39 AM)
I think the phrase that got me was "nihilist progressives on the left". I just get really frustrated hearing about how if you're left you're some kind of godless heathen.

Just as I get sick of hearing how those who are right-of-center and attend church are affiliated with the "Christian Right." That's something entirely different.

"Nihilist progressives on the left" does describe a rather large sect of people. You just happen to not be affiliated with them. :D

WASHINGTON (AP) - Former Presidents Bush and Clinton will accompanying President Bush to the funeral of Pope John Paul II, the White House announced Tuesday. Also attending will be Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

President Bush and his wife, Laura, will lead the five-member group representing the United States at the funeral on Friday, White House press secretary Scott McClellan said.

Bush is leaving Washington for Rome on Wednesday, and was to have meetings with foreign leaders Thursday. The president planned to leave Italy immediately after the funeral to spend the weekend at his ranch in Texas.

Bush said Tuesday that his attendance at the services would "pay our country's respect to a great world leader."

"He shows that one man can make an enormous difference," Bush said during a Social Security speech in Parkersburg, W. Va. "I look forward to honoring the memory of Pope John Paul II."

Bush will be the first sitting president to attend a pope's funeral. The pontiff died on Saturday, ending a quarter-century as leader of the Catholic Church.

IIRC didn't Carter make an unflattering remark about Catholics?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
IIRC didn't Carter make an unflattering remark about Catholics?

I don't know. I also thought that he had a relatively good relationship with JP II in his last year of office? Then again, I was only 4 at the time and am relying off of today's media for my information.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)
I don't know.  I also thought that he had a relatively good relationship with JP II in his last year of office?  Then again, I was only 4 at the time and am relying off of today's media for my information.

Carter talked about differnences between Baptists and Catholics, and got himself (post Presidency) in trouble with one or the other. I've forgotten which group. It wasn't specific to the Pope.

I wonder how many ex-Presidents have attended a Pope's funeral? This is certainly a US show of strength and respect. Three Presidents attending and our Secretary of State.

BUSH PASSED OVER CARTER IN POPE FUNERAL PICK

President Bush selected his father and Bill Clinton over Jimmy Carter for the official delegation attending the funeral of Pope John Paul II, the Carter Center claimed Late Tuesday.

"President Carter expressed to the White House a desire to attend the Pope's funeral," an official said.

Carter "was informed that the official delegation would be limited to just five people, and there were also others who were eager to attend."

"The Carters always relish the memories of Pope John Paul II being a delightful personal guest at the White House in 1979, on a pope's only visit to our nation's capital city. Subsequently, they visited with His Holiness in the Vatican."

One senior GOP official said that Carter wanted to take his wife Rosalynn along, but was informed that would be impossible. It was unclear if Clinton asked to take along his wife, New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Made room for Rice by dropping a President?? Not cool.

QUOTE(winodj @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)
It's more important for our Sec. of State to be there, then President Carter.

It's ceremonial, seems like a perfect gig for a retired President. At the minimum, I would have selected Carter before Clinton.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
It's ceremonial, seems like a perfect gig for a retired President. At the minimum, I would have selected Carter before Clinton.

Ceremonial, yes. But also a place where Sec Rice can build some rapport.

QUOTE(knightni @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 09:15 AM)
Like I said earlier, Carter never showed up at Pope Paul VI's funeral in 1978, why would he want to go now, when he isn't the president.

Or at John Paul I's for that matter...

Wasn't there some kind of tiff where Carter said something about Catholics that pissed someone off?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
Or at John Paul I's for that matter...

Wasn't there some kind of tiff where Carter said something about Catholics that pissed someone off?

IIRC we may be thinking about him leaving the Southern Baptist Convention because of their views on the role of women. I believe he also offered some conciliatory words towards Catholicism that went against Baptist Theology.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
"GDub" olny has to reply with two words ... Inquisition and Crusades.

Great comeback, especially since the Inquisition and Crusades ended and are widely viewed as mistakes. :cheers

QUOTE(winodj @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 09:58 AM)
Bush, Rice, Laura, Clinton, Poppy, Cheney, Carter and everyone's favorite forgotten living president, FORD.

Ford's still alive?

Edited by mreye