Kids agree: It oral isn't sex

Texsox

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 06:07 PM)
How scientific is this though?  I would also guess that boys are more likely to admit to performing oral sex and even lying about it than girls.

I would guess more guys would lie about receiving than giving.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
I did NOT see that coming.

Me neither..... :ph34r:

But I don't understand how oral isn't sex...I mean, hi, just wow. Honestly speechless....

ChiSoxy, isn't some of this more a linguistic issue than a sex act definition? Look at words that have sexual connotation and how this generation has altered the meanings

gay and pimp come to mind. Could the research actually be pointing to a narrowing of what the word "sex" means, and not a narrowing of what the sexual act is?

There may not be an lessening of moral boundaries, this doesn't necessarily mean that oral sex has become any more common. I know I'm not being clear.

Look at the word gay. At one point, it meant happy and cheerful. Then it was used to describe a homosexual. Now in some corners it is used to mean stupid. A "gay" act could mean throwing a party, same gender sex, or doing something stupid. If researchers published a study that adolescents are reporting not being as gay as they previously where, it could have very different meaning depending on what year the survey was conducted. But it might not mean they were any less happy, stupid, or sexually active.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 07:05 AM)
ChiSoxy, isn't some of this more a linguistic issue than a sex act definition? Look at words that have sexual connotation and how this generation has altered the meanings

gay and pimp come to mind. Could the research actually be pointing to a narrowing of what the word "sex" means, and not a narrowing of what the sexual act is?

There may not be an lessening of moral boundaries, this doesn't necessarily mean that oral sex has become any more common. I know I'm not being clear.

Yeah, I'm sure it's one of those semantic issues that people always use. Is it narrowing the definition of sex? I don't know--I feel like older people (even in their twenties) lean more to the fact that it IS sex. If it is a linguistic change I, for one, am SHOCKED by how quickly the definition changed--like within a generation (or half a generation). I think that's a little quick. Essentially because oral IS penetration (at least most of the time)--and I guess that's much more how I definite sex...

I think the problem probably lies in two parts: inadequate sex education (by parents and/or school). A lot of these kids don't think it's sex--and a lot also think you can't get an STI from oral. Ignorance is bliss, until you get chlamydia....

I also think that, and I'm totally expecting the flame for this, but I think that this kind of definition of sex is very heterosexist. Oral isn't sex, anal isn't sex, but plain old missionary is. So, essentially, this kind of definition of sex means only a man and a woman can have it--which is also a double standard.

As far as oral sex becoming more common--I have no idea. Possible, maybe even probable--if it isn't sex then it's much less of a job to do it, less guilt afterwards. But I can't even conjuncture on the sexual patterns of teens across time....

Interesting point regarding the narrowing of the definition places homosexual acts out side of what sex is. I guess we are heading towards a definition that sex is the act that could result in pregnancy. Perhaps penetration with a condom will someday not be sex? Will a new word spring up to describe acts that lead to an orgasm that do not involve penis~vaginal contact?