The thank you Illini

Sorry guys, I couldn't resist. I know were all hurting right now "not you Palehose fan."lol But I just wanted to thank the Illini for an absolutely TREMENDOUS season. The memories they've provided for me will stay with me forever. From the Wake Forest thrashing, to the unbelievable road wins against Wisconsin and Msu, to the amazing come back against Arizona, this has been a fantastic season. :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers

Like MJ and the Bulls said after their 72-10 reg season in 96. It don't mean a thing without the ring. The same applies here. Even though I'm a huge Illini fan, you don't get a 37 wins banner or rings or trophy. The one game that mattered, they didn't win, so I can't give them propz. It's killing me too.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 11:06 PM)
Like MJ and the Bulls said after their 72-10 reg season in 96. It don't mean a thing without the ring. The same applies here. Even though I'm a huge Illini fan, you don't get a 37 wins banner or rings or trophy. The one game that mattered, they didn't win, so I can't give them propz. It's killing me too.

You are an idiot, that is all.

I'm dying here. But, I want to also say that that was an incredible season but like every other chicago team we couldnt finish the deal. This loss will have a more long term effect than any because half of our team is leaving. I still think it was a heck of a ride.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 04:06 AM)

Perhaps no 37 wins banner, but they do get a Final Four banner. You'll learn to look back on this season with fondness soon enough.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
You are an idiot, that is all.

Nice constructive criticism. You get stuck with a bad english teacher??? A Final Four is nice, but unless you get a couple in a row or 3 in 4 or 5 years, you really can't get your program rolling. Does anyone think this team is going to make it that far next year with the losses of Powell, Luther and DeRon??? I certaintly don't. I'll give them an applause for making it that far, but at the end of the day, it won't do much for this program. That's not the sadness in me talking, it's the realism. I'd be surprised if the Illini start next year ranked in the top 10.

I think Brock will replace Luther's scoring as he's 6-4/5 and is supposed to be known for his explosive scoring, but who's going to replace Powell and Deron??

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 11:31 PM)
Nice constructive criticism. You get stuck with a bad english teacher??? A Final Four is nice, but unless you get a couple in a row or 3 in 4 or 5 years, you really can't get your program rolling. Does anyone think this team is going to make it that far next year with the losses of Powell, Luther and DeRon??? I certaintly don't. I'll give them an applause for making it that far, but at the end of the day, it won't do much for this program. That's not the sadness in me talking, it's the realism. I'd be surprised if the Illini start next year ranked in the top 10.

I think Brock will replace Luther's scoring as he's 6-4/5 and is supposed to be known for his explosive scoring, but who's going to replace Powell and Deron??

I'm upset, and I was nearly in tears after the game tonight. But your post was a joke. I know you are venting, but to say you can't give a team that went 37-2 and was basically one of those wide open threes away from winning a title any props is ridiculous.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 10:37 PM)
I'm upset, and I was nearly in tears after the game tonight.  But your post was a joke.  I know you are venting, but to say you can't give a team that went 37-2 and was basically one of those wide open threes away from winning a title any props is ridiculous.

I said I'll give them an applause, but I don't think they deserve anything more than MSU or Louisville received.

Thanks for keeping it even with DePaul (we've had 2 1-loss seasons and a Final Four too) so that I don't have to hear the constant bragging from my illini friendswho haven't bragged and rubbed it in my face all season.

A Final Four is quite an accomplishment.

Edited by SleepyWhiteSox

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 10:31 PM)
Nice constructive criticism. You get stuck with a bad english teacher??? A Final Four is nice, but unless you get a couple in a row or 3 in 4 or 5 years, you really can't get your program rolling. Does anyone think this team is going to make it that far next year with the losses of Powell, Luther and DeRon???

Yeah I agree with your statement here but it has nothing to do with your previous point basically saying "it don't mean a thing without the ring". Are you trying to say if the Illini won the game tonight, they would have a better chance of making the Final Four next year?

To all you Illini fans that are down and/or pissed about losing to UNC. I have been watching all of you just giddily happy and excited all season long. The Illini took you to unprecedented heights (for Illini fans ;) ) and you guys have had a whole lot of joy, fun, excitement, happiness all year long. This team did that for you. Do not disrespect them or be too down about what happened. It was great great season to be an Illini fan .... I know because you guys told me as much all season long.

Edited by YASNY

I'm an Iowa alum and it feels almost unnatural to say this, but congrats on your great run this season. I'd been pulling for you guys right after Iowa got knocked out and was rewarded with some of the most exciting college hoops I've seen in a long time. You should be proud of what the Illini accomplished this season. :cheers

Congrats to you guys. I speak from experience when I say that you will remember this season for the rest of your lives even with the title game loss. This was a special season, and even though it hurts now, time will smile upon this team more than you will ever know.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)
Yeah I agree with your statement here but it has nothing to do with your previous point basically saying "it don't mean a thing without the ring".  Are you trying to say if the Illini won the game tonight, they would have a better chance of making the Final Four next year?

I think guys like Brandon Rush would be wanting to come here more than ever. It would really help us in next year's recruiting class though.

I concur that Nitraine is a moron. Anyways. this is as unforgettable team as you are going to have in your life. It's kind of like the 2000 Sox team where even though you don't win it all, you wouldn't trade the memories for anything.

Edited by Punch and Judy Garland

While it would have been great to win it, it doesn't diminish a great run that fans can remember forever.

Teams are judged on championships, but when I look back on this year, I will definitely remember a lot of great things about Illinois, even though I am not an Illini fan.

Best of luck to them in the future as coach Weber continues to build an elite program.

Rather than analyze the game or the things the Illini did (for better or for worse), I'm just going to say we were beaten by a superior team last night.

That said, I will never forget what these guys did for me and the University of Illinois. It was the most fun ride I've ever been on and I was awfully proud to be a part of it.

Oskee-Wow-Wow fellas!

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
Rather than analyze the game or the things the Illini did (for better or for worse), I'm just going to say we were beaten by a superior team last night.

That said, I will never forget what these guys did for me and the University of Illinois.  It was the most fun ride I've ever been on and I was awfully proud to be a part of it.

Oskee-Wow-Wow fellas!

I wouldn't expect anything other than this type of classy post from you Addy.

:headbang

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
I concur that Nitraine is a moron. Anyways. this is as unforgettable team as you are going to have in your life. It's kind of like the 2000 Sox team where even though you don't win it all, you wouldn't trade the memories for anything.

coming from someone who can't get even a part of my username right when it's listed, I don't think I'm the moron. I said it was a nice season. You want me to get down and start sucking off every player that was on the team?? That ain't happening.

Thank you Illinois! This year was such a trip, in one of college basketball's greatest seasons ever I will always remember the Illini. This team was the most inspiring and heartful team I have ever seen, they just refused to give up, no matter how bad they were down they just kept coming to the bitter end. When I look back I will always remember this team as one of the greatest, and maybe the greatest never to win a title, college basketball TEAMS ever. Thank Illini!

:cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers

QUOTE(orangekrush88 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
Thank you Illinois! This year was such a trip, in one of college basketball's greatest seasons ever I will always remember the Illini. This team was the most inspiring and heartful team I have ever seen, they just refused to give up, no matter how bad they were down they just kept coming to the bitter end. When I look back I will always remember this team as one of the greatest, and maybe the greatest never to win a title, college basketball TEAMS ever. Thank Illini!

:cheers  :cheers  :cheers  :cheers  :cheers

I will say that. In my opinion, it was the most cohesive team not to win a title. They also went farther than Stanford and St. Joe's did last year. They did play with heart. I won't forget them, but also with the memory of the great season, the fact that we couldn't close the job will sit in the back of my mind.