Glenn Robinson

Bringing new meaning to the odd couple if ever I saw one;

The San Antonio Spurs have announced that they have signed forward Glenn Robinson. Per club policy terms of the deal were not disclosed. At the same time the Spurs waived Dion Glover.

Robinson has averaged 20.8 points and 6.1 rebounds in his 679 game NBA career. The two-time All-Star spent the entire 2004-05 season on the injured list before being waived by New Orleans on 3/2/05. Robinson began the season with the Philadelphia 76ers before being dealt to the New Orleans on 2/24/05 in exchange for Jamal Mashburn and Rodney Rogers.

Glover, who signed his second 10-day contract on 3/30/05, appeared in seven games for San Antonio. He averaged 3.6 points and 1.6 rebounds in 9.7 minutes.

That 94-95 draft class was supposed to be really good. Though they are good, they haven't really lived up to the expectations. Robinson was the first pick and he's had a good career, but they probably expected better. Kidd's been doing fine. Donyell Marshall was either the 3rd or 4th pick and while he's been decent, I'm sure the T-Wolves expected more out of him. Juwan Howard was the 5th pick and his career started off pretty good. But since then it's been down hill. And speaking of Hill, Grant Hill started off great, then had a series of injuries, but is finally back and performing.

The 1994 Draft was horrendous....easily one of the worst ever. Outside of Jason Kidd and Brian Grant, you just can't find any defense. Put it this way. How many players from this draft have appeared in the finals as starters, or are capable of starting for a championship squad?

Players (in their prime) who could start on a championship squad marked in bold:

Round 1

1 MIL Glenn Robinson Purdue

2 DAL Jason Kidd California

3 DET Grant Hill Duke

4 MIN Donyell Marshall Connecticut

5 WA1 Juwan Howard Michigan

6 PHI Sharone Wright Clemson

7 LAC Lamond Murray California

8 SAC Brian Grant Xavier (OH)

9 BOS Eric Montross North Carolina

10 LAL Eddie Jones Temple

11 SEA Carlos Rogers Tennessee State

12 MIA Khalid Reeves Arizona

13 DEN Jalen Rose Michigan

14 NJN Yinka Dare George Washington

15 IND Eric Piatkowski Nebraska

16 GSW Clifford Rozier Louisville

17 POR Aaron McKie Temple

18 MIL Eric Mobley Pittsburgh

19 DAL Tony Dumas Missouri-Kansas City

20 PHI B.J Tyler Texas

21 CHI Dickey Simpkins Providence

22 SAS Bill Curley Boston College

23 PHO Wesley Person Auburn

24 NYK Monty Williams Notre Dame

25 LAC Greg Minor Louisville

26 NYK Charlie Ward Florida State

27 ORL Brooks Thompson Oklahoma State

Glenn Robinson and Juwan Howard are good for laughs, and not much else. Drafting those players is a good way to get stuck in suck mode.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
The 1994 Draft was horrendous....easily one of the worst ever.  Outside of Jason Kidd and Brian Grant, you just can't find any defense.  Put it this way.  How many players from this draft have appeared in the finals as starters, or are capable of starting for a championship squad?

Players (in their prime) who could start on a championship squad marked in bold:

Round 1

3 DET Grant Hill Duke

20 PHI B.J Tyler Texas

Glenn Robinson and Juwan Howard are good for laughs, and not much else.  Drafting those players is a good way to get stuck in suck mode.

Why is pike not in bold?

Charlie ward is one of the best athletes in basketball history in my opinion.

Heisman trophy winning-qb who led the seminoles to the 1993 national title.

Also won the sullivan and maxwell awards, and was named college football player of the year by the sporting news, along with being mvp at the orange bowl.

Drafted by two mlb teams (the yankees and brewers) in 1993 and 1994, after not playing any baseball in college.

Drafted in the first-round of the 94 nba entry draft by the knicks.

Yinka f***ing dare is one of the funniest players. What a bust he was. I know that he was a center but come on, four assists in his nba career which lasted 110 games or 1002 minutes.

Rose is a cancer and robinson is one for sure. How is good for laughs like you said and while i like marshall he has not lived up to expectations. Not even close.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
Why is pike not in bold?

Charlie ward is one of the best athletes in basketball history in my opinion.

Heisman trophy winning-qb who led the seminoles to the 1993 national title.

Also won the sullivan and maxwell awards, and was named college football player of the year by the sporting news, along with being mvp at the orange bowl.

Drafted by two mlb teams (the yankees and brewers) in 1993 and 1994, after not playing any baseball in college.

Drafted in the first-round of the 94 nba entry draft by the knicks.

Yinka f***ing dare is one of the funniest players. What a bust he was. I know that he was a center but come on, four assists in his nba career which lasted 110 games or 1002 minutes.

Rose is a cancer and robinson is one for sure. How is good for laughs like you said and while i like marshall he has not lived up to expectations. Not even close.

Charlie Ward has always been a good defensive PG. I like him off the bench, kinda like Lindsey Hunter.

You used to have guys like Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, DJ Dozier, Charlie Ward, etc. Nowadays, we have Joe Borchard and Drew Henson. :bang

I know that Ricky Williams was a high pick for the Philadelphia Phillies or whatever. There's another guy with unreal athletic skills.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
Charlie Ward has always been a good defensive PG.  I like him off the bench, kinda like Lindsey Hunter. 

You used to have guys like Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, DJ Dozier, Charlie Ward, etc.  Nowadays, we have Joe Borchard and Drew Henson. :bang

I know that Ricky Williams was a high pick for the Philadelphia Phillies or whatever.  There's another guy with unreal athletic skills.

Don't forget Chad Hutchinson!

I think these guys have had solid to great NBA careers.

MIL Glenn Robinson Purdue very solid

2 DAL Jason Kidd California great

3 DET Grant Hill Duke results pending...

4 MIN Donyell Marshall Connecticut very solid

5 WA1 Juwan Howard Michigan very solid

7 LAC Lamond Murray California solid

8 SAC Brian Grant Xavier (OH) solid

10 LAL Eddie Jones Temple very solid

13 DEN Jalen Rose Michigan very solid

15 IND Eric Piatkowski Nebraska decent

17 POR Aaron McKie Temple very solid

23 PHO Wesley Person Auburn solid

26 NYK Charlie Ward Florida State decent

Pretty sad only 12 players made any contributions to NBA squads, and the 2nd round was even worse. Definitely not many superstars in the class, but there are some solid double digit scoring players in the class.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)

Damn shame he ever got hurt. He is one of the truly nice guys in the nba and for a while was one of the top ten players in the nba. I am glad he came back really strong and that his surgery finally got done right.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 07:30 PM)
I think these guys have had solid to great NBA careers.

MIL Glenn Robinson Purdue very solid

2 DAL Jason Kidd California great

4 MIN Donyell Marshall Connecticut very solid

5 WA1 Juwan Howard Michigan very solid

7 LAC Lamond Murray California solid

8 SAC Brian Grant Xavier (OH) solid

10 LAL Eddie Jones Temple very solid

13 DEN Jalen Rose Michigan very solid

15 IND Eric Piatkowski Nebraska decent

17 POR Aaron McKie Temple very solid

23 PHO Wesley Person Auburn solid

26 NYK Charlie Ward Florida State decent

Pretty sad only 12 players made any contributions to NBA squads, and the 2nd round was even worse. Definitely not many superstars in the class, but there are some solid double digit scoring players in the class.

I think that the only guys you can call great are Kidd and Hill. IMO, Donny, Jalen, Big Dog, Eddie Jones, and McKie are 6th men on a championship team.

As of the begining of this year, 13 out of 27 were still in the league. I don't think that's too bad. I'm just saying that out of college, it looked like it should have been a very good class, but when you have guys that don't pan out like Montress and Wright that never panned out.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
The 1994 Draft was horrendous....easily one of the worst ever.  Outside of Jason Kidd and Brian Grant, you just can't find any defense.  Put it this way.  How many players from this draft have appeared in the finals as starters, or are capable of starting for a championship squad?

Round 1

3 DET Grant Hill Duke

20 PHI B.J Tyler Texas

Glenn Robinson and Juwan Howard are good for laughs, and not much else.  Drafting those players is a good way to get stuck in suck mode.

As already said, Charlie Ward was one when New York made the finals. I also believe Aaron McKie was a starter for Philly when they made the finals, if he wasn't, he was the 6th man. And had the Jazz made the finals again, Marshall would've been their starter, but they didn't make it.

McKie was the 6th man that year for the Sixers, I think even 6th man of the year.

I think Eddie Jones is a championship caliber starter. Heck, he might be a starter on a champion this year.

Also, for people b****ing about a lack of multisport athletes: Julius Peppers. As well as being sick in the NFL, he would have been a 1st rounder in the NBA for sure.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)
As already said, Charlie Ward was one when New York made the finals. I also believe Aaron McKie was a starter for Philly when they made the finals, if he wasn't, he was the 6th man. And had the Jazz made the finals again, Marshall would've been their starter, but they didn't make it.

You're right, there are exceptions. Let me rephrase. How many guys have been detrimental to teams that have reached the finals (Jason Kidd), and how many would be detrimental if they were on deep teams (Grant Hill)? Guys like Paxson and Longley have started on championship teams, but that doesn't mean that they were major contributors.

McKie was the 6th man on the 2000 Half Ratliff/Half Dikembe 76ers.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
Also, for people b****ing about a lack of multisport athletes: Julius Peppers. As well as being sick in the NFL, he would have been a 1st rounder in the NBA for sure.

He's 6'6, and he weighs in at 285 pounds, but he's one hell of an athlete. With good post moves being a given, if he was 3 inches taller and weighed a good 25 to 30 pounds less, he'd probably be just another freak out of the PF slot in the NBA.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
You're right, there are exceptions.  Let me rephrase.  How many guys have been detrimental to teams that have reached the finals (Jason Kidd), and how many would be detrimental if they were on deep teams (Grant Hill)?  Guys like Paxson and Longley have started on championship teams, but that doesn't mean that they were major contributors.

McKie was the 6th man on the 2000 Half Ratliff/Half Dikembe 76ers.

Yeah I see what you're saying and I agree with you. I should probably have rephrased my first comment about them being good. I was meaning that they were decent, but a lot more was expected out of them. They as a whole were underachievers. But at the time of them coming out of college, I don't remember them getting called one of the worse classes in history.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
He's 6'6, and he weighs in at 285 pounds, but he's one hell of an athlete.  With good post moves being a given, if he was 3 inches taller and weighed a good 25 to 30 pounds less, he'd probably be just another freak out of the PF slot in the NBA.

He would have cut down his weight if he intended to play basketball.

Julius actually "only" weighed 265 at UNC. He gained the extra 20 pounds once he joined the Panthers and hit the weights hard. He also had a 40+ inch vertical leap and hands the size of Elton Brand's. He didn't have much post moves, but he didn't really need them, he could smash anything home. God I loved watching him play both sports. Ronald Curry was another that would have been an amazing 2 sport star if not for a blown achilles. He was the top football player in the nation as a QB, even higher than Vick from his own state, and he also was a Mickey D's AA and won the dunk contest. But his injury and playing 2 sports really hurt his pro chances, he molded himself into a very nice receiver this year but unfortunately blew out his other achilles and is now recovering. You will NEVER see a classier athlete though, he's my favorite UNC alum of all time.