Rowand says there's no selfish players on the Sox

Jabroni

http://www.suntimes.com/output/slezak/cst-spt-carol05.html

"I like seeing home runs as much as everyone else,'' Konerko said. "But I'm enjoying this team because lots of guys are on the same wavelength as far as how they feel about their teammates. These guys play the game the right way.''

Rowand took the discussion a step further.

"We don't have anybody on this team that's selfish,'' he said. "We have one common goal, and that's to win. I can honestly say that about guys 1 through 25. Not one guy is worried about his stats. We're only worried about winning.''

Rowand didn't name names. He didn't have to. We know which players have been purged from the roster -- Lee, Ordonez, Jose Valentin ... guys who weren't necessarily into the team concept.

"It's common knowledge on this year's team that our goal is winning,'' Rowand said. "We had a great time [during spring training] on and off the field. My hat's off to [general manager] Kenny Williams for bringing these kind of guys in here.''

So now Ordonez is/was a bad guy in the clubhouse?

Geez-- I realize that Mags didn't do a good job as far as his knee and being honest with us, but why badmouth him as far as the clubhouse? I thought he was the quiet guy who did everything, or most everything, right...

This is getting out of hand. Let's move on...

Edited by CWSGuy406

I'll bet we could put 25 unselfish, team orientated, whose goal is winning, right here from Soxtalk. But they would have less talent than necessary. Attitude is nice, but the talent has to be there are well. I think we have a decent blend of both.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)

Geez-- I realize that Mags didn't do a good job as far as his knee and being honest with us, but why badmouth him as far as the clubhouse?  I thought he was the quiet guy who did everything, or most everything, right...

This is getting out of hand.  Let's move on...

Rowand didn't say s*** about anyone ... the writer jumped to that conclusion.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)

Geez-- I realize that Mags didn't do a good job as far as his knee and being honest with us, but why badmouth him as far as the clubhouse?  I thought he was the quiet guy who did everything, or most everything, right...

This is getting out of hand.  Let's move on...

I missed that quote from Rowand.. can you post that part..?

Thanks.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
Glad to see that Slezak has been getting some writing tips from her collegue at the Sun Times on how to make something out of nothing. :chair

No doubt...he's just complementing the current roster on its team attitude. He's not trying to knock anyone.

Basically ... what we are saying here is that the Sox are talking about playing together as a team, having the right attitude, wins are all that matters ... and the media is trying to put a negative spin on that. So f***ing typical.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
Glad to see that Slezak has been getting some writing tips from her collegue at the Sun Times on how to make something out of nothing. :chair

LOL. :D Actually I think we may be making more out of it. Didn't we have a Lee attitude thread a month or two ago? And I know we discussed Jose and his power numbers and lower average. If the shoe fits . . .

But let's give her kudos for not mentioning Frank. That's the writers first reflex for the past 15 years.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
LOL.  :D Actually I think we may be making more out of it. Didn't we have a Lee attitude thread a month or two ago? And I know we discussed Jose and his power numbers and lower average. If the shoe fits . . .

But let's give her kudos for not mentioning Frank. That's the writers first reflex for the past 15 years.

Knocking Frank is so last year. :rolly He is on the cool list again, because he is Mr Anti-Roid. Now it is the selfish and the drug users who must burn :bang

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
Basically ... what we are saying here is that the Sox are talking about playing together as a team, having the right attitude, wins are all that matters ... and the media is trying to put a negative spin on that.  So f***ing typical.

Makes no sense, but it sure did get a reaction from us...

I agree. Let's not read too far into it just because of what the media is trying to imply.

"Rowand didn't name names. He didn't have to. We know which players have been purged from the roster -- Lee, Ordonez, Jose Valentin ... guys who weren't necessarily into the team concept."

How can you turn in a story with a sentence like that with a straight face? "We know"? What the hell? And beyond that, what kind of editor looks at that and says, "great go with that."?

Kinda on a similar note....

I can't remember where I read a quote by Raines recently. He was asked about the new make up of the team and the 'small ball' approach. His reply was something like: "at least people can't say we're a team of steroid users".

I try not to read between the lines, but I found that interesting. Anyone?

QUOTE(Spiff @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
How can you turn in a story with a sentence like that with a straight face? "We know"? What the hell?  And beyond that, what kind of editor looks at that and says, "great go with that."?

Apparently, real easy. I mean seriously.. paper sales would suck if they didn't manufacture some controversy, right..?

QUOTE(Spiff @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 07:47 PM)
How can you turn in a story with a sentence like that with a straight face? "We know"? What the hell?  And beyond that, what kind of editor looks at that and says, "great go with that."?

...one that is trying to create a story where there isn't one.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 07:03 PM)
I missed that quote from Rowand.. can you post that part..?

Thanks.

Yas and Steff, I misinterpreted/misread it. And, Yasny correctly stated that the writer implied that about Maggs/Valentin/Lee, not Rowand. Sorry for the confusion...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
Yas and Steff, I misinterpreted/misread it.  And, Yasny correctly stated that the writer implied that about Maggs/Valentin/Lee, not Rowand.  Sorry for the confusion...

I can't speak for YAS.. but I was just given ya some crap.. :P

The fact the writer called Valentine a bad "team" guy is an absolute travishamockery...Valentine was always a GREAT team leader in the clubhouse, so to call him a bad team player is just plain dumb. :bang

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
Apparently, real easy. I mean seriously.. paper sales would suck if they didn't manufacture some controversy, right..?

It was more rhetorical, but I get what you mean.

Since Rowand didn't say it, I will say that I thought that some guys (ie Lee, Maggs, Valentin) were selfish in the fact that they often swung for the fences in situations where they just needed to move a guy over.

It was so refreshing to me yesterday to see Jermaine get Paulie over and then his quote after the game was even more impressive.

"We have to do the little things to win ballgames," Dye said. "Late in the ballgame, I know as a veteran player how to play the game. I know what it takes to get him over. I'm not trying to drive the ball or hit a homer."

This one game made me a huge Jermaine fan.