1. 1. Who should not have gone?

• President George W. Bush
    • Laura Bush
    • President George HW Bush
    • President Clinton
    • President Carter
    • Condoleeza Rice

BUSH PASSED OVER CARTER IN POPE FUNERAL PICK

President Bush selected his father and Bill Clinton over Jimmy Carter for the official delegation attending the funeral of Pope John Paul II, the Carter Center claimed Late Tuesday.

"President Carter expressed to the White House a desire to attend the Pope's funeral," an official said.

Carter "was informed that the official delegation would be limited to just five people, and there were also others who were eager to attend."

"The Carters always relish the memories of Pope John Paul II being a delightful personal guest at the White House in 1979, on a pope's only visit to our nation's capital city. Subsequently, they visited with His Holiness in the Vatican."

One senior GOP official said that Carter wanted to take his wife Rosalynn along, but was informed that would be impossible. It was unclear if Clinton asked to take along his wife, New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton.

WASHINGTON - U.S. Sen. Jim Bunning will join a delegation of 14 senators on a trip to Vatican City this week for the funeral Mass of Pope John Paul II.

The group led by Sen. Bill Frist, R-Tenn., will leave for Italy on Wednesday night, returning late Friday evening. The funeral for the pontiff, who died on Saturday, is scheduled for Friday.

Speaker Dennis Hastert of Illinois will lead a House delegation of about two dozen members. Congress will be out of session Thursday and Friday.

Bunning, R-Ky., a Catholic, met the pope five years ago and attended a Mass in the pontiff's private chapel.

"Pope John Paul II has been a beacon of hope for so many of us in the Catholic Church. He was a moral man of strong character and conviction, and we will greatly miss his leadership," Bunning said.

The Senate on Tuesday considered a resolution mourning John Paul's death and calling him "one of the greatest spiritual leaders and moral teachers of the modern era."

Millions of pilgrims are descending on Rome to pay tribute to the pope, and hundreds of dignitaries from around the world are expected to attend.

President Bush will lead a five-person delegation that includes his wife, his father, former President Clinton and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)
First time in the history of the USA that a President has attended a Popes funeral.  Now we send 3 and it isn't enough. :lol:

I was thinking the same thing. Po, po peanut faaamer from Joeja.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
For a " Po, po peanut faaamer from Joeja"  he's done alot of work for peace and human rights.

He was a turd for a president and has done waaaay more then just about any other ex-president for his country.

That's actually a compliment. :bang

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)
First time in the history of the USA that a President has attended a Popes funeral.  Now we send 3 and it isn't enough. :lol:

Anything to b**** about...

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 08:38 AM)
For a " Po, po peanut faaamer from Joeja"  he's done alot of work for peace and human rights.

Look at their post President lives and it would seem that Carter, of all our ex-Presidents, would be the best representative to send to the funeral of a major religious figure. Certainly ahead of Clinton, and I would even place him ahead of Bush Sr.

Teaching Sunday School, Building homes for the poor, supervising elections, his books all witness to his belief in Christ.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 07:42 AM)
Teaching Sunday School, Building homes for the poor, supervising elections, his books all witness to his belief in Christ.

Exactly! He's to busy to attend!

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 07:38 AM)

That wasn't a shot. I agree with Kap. He may have been the worst President in a generation, but he made up for it with his good works since then.

I think we needed Nixon's last year, Ford, and Carter, to have Reagan. After nearly a decade of indecisiveness and public plans like WIN (Whip Inflation Now) and the 444 Day Hostage Crisis, The stage was set for a tall, confident, cowboy like Reagan.

Carter is histories greatest ex-President. I think if Reagan's health and age hadn't been working against him, he too could have done a lot of good, just in different ways.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
I think we needed Nixon's last year, Ford, and Carter, to have Reagan. After nearly a decade of indecisiveness and public plans like WIN (Whip Inflation Now) and the 444 Day Hostage Crisis, The stage was set for a tall, confident, cowboy like Reagan.

Carter is histories greatest ex-President. I think if Reagan's health and age hadn't been working against him, he too could have done a lot of good, just in different ways.

I believe Clinton will fall into that catagory eventually.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 11:09 AM)

needed him to set up Bush, or a great ex-President?

I don't see him with a great cause or passion beyond being himself. Carter seems to be able to take pleasure in doing things without being in the limelight. I think his (Clinton's) Presidency may improve with age. I hope you are right about his future.

Edited by Texsox

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)

I can agree with that. I think he's changed from the "Me me me" kind of guy since the heart attack, et al.

Edited by mreye

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
needed him to set up Bush, or a great ex-President?

I don't see him with a great cause or passion beyond being himself. Carter seems to be able to take pleasure in doing things without being in the limelight. I think his (Clinton's) Presidency may improve with age. I hope you are right about his future.

Actually, I believe Clinton will turn into a good will ambassador for the US. Whether in an appointed position (UN Ambassador?) or as a private citizen.

QUOTE(mreye @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
I can agree with that. I think he's changed from the "Me me me" kind of guy since the heart attack, et al.

I hope you are right. For what we are paying these guys, it is nice to see that they are still contributing to society.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
I hope you are right.  For what we are paying these guys, it is nice to see that they are still contributing to society.

Considering what they make from public speeches and the like, I'd like to see one of these guys either refuse or donate their pension.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
Actually, I believe Clinton will turn into a good will ambassador for the US.  Whether in an appointed position (UN Ambassador?) or as a private citizen.

I think he would make a great UN Ambassador. I also doubt a GOP President will nominate him, and I don't see a DEM winning for another couple terms, so that may never happen, or happen too late for his best years.

Carter has Human Rights as a cause, what can we identify with Clinton? That's the one problem I see with him really creating a post Presidential legacy.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
I think he would make a great UN Ambassador. I also doubt a GOP President will nominate him, and I don't see a DEM winning for another couple terms, so that may never happen, or happen too late for his best years.

Carter has Human Rights as a cause, what can we identify with Clinton? That's the one problem I see with him really creating a post Presidential legacy.

He'll think of something. It is obvious that he wants to do SOMETHING. I have no doubt he will pick a cause.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)

Clinton would be good in a foreign relation role say Ireland or maybe other countries in Europe.