21 members have voted

1. 1. Who should not have gone?

• President George W. Bush
    • Laura Bush
    • President George HW Bush
    • President Clinton
    • President Carter
    • Condoleeza Rice

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
He'll think of something.  It is obvious that he wants to do SOMETHING.  I have no doubt he will pick a cause.

I agree, but doesn't it seem that Human Rights picked Carter? I've come to believe that Clinton is intellectually deep but shallow of character.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)
I agree, but doesn't it seem that Human Rights picked Carter? I've come to believe that Clinton is intellectually deep but shallow of character.

You may be right. But I believe in most cases that when a man is faced with his own mortality, that tends to lead to some character adjustments. He is intellectually deep and very charismatic (Wait! He's from Arkansas?) and I really think any president would be smart to put Clinton into a position like the UN Ambassador.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)

And because of that he would make an incredible spokesperson for just about anything. He could go on TV and in front of millionaires to try to get us to help the poor (insert cause here)'s of the world.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
You may be right.  But I believe in most cases that when a man is faced with his own mortality, that tends to lead to some character adjustments. He is intellectually deep and very charismatic (Wait!  He's from Arkansas?) and I really think any president would be smart to put Clinton into a position like the UN Ambassador.

He would be great for the UN. The nightmare scenario for a GOP President would have Clinton as head of the UN and the UN at odds with the US (Like Iraq) Clinton is all the things you mentioned and a PR battle between Clinton as head of the United Nations and a sitting President would not be good. Which is why I doubt a GOP President would ever nominate him.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
He would be great for the UN. The nightmare scenario for a GOP President would have Clinton as head of the UN and the UN at odds with the US (Like Iraq) Clinton is all the things you mentioned and a PR battle between Clinton as head of the United Nations and a sitting President would not be good. Which is why I doubt a GOP President would ever nominate him.

Who would understand the importance of the office of the POTUS than a former president, and the need for the appearance of a united front. They may disagree on things behind closed doors, but I cannot imagine Clinton demeaning the office in the eyes of the worlds.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
Who would understand the importance of the office of the POTUS than a former president, and the need for the appearance of a united front.  They may disagree on things behind closed doors, but I cannot imagine Clinton demeaning the office in the eyes of the worlds.

It also helps that Bill is generally liked and listened to overseas (at least in Europe, not sure about areas though).

Edited by Queen Prawn

I'm looking at this in a purely politics light. Although it'd be nice for President Carter to make the funeral, it's more important for the Secretary of State to be at the funeral of a head of state (because, if you remember, that's what the Pope is). Although Powell was in many respects considered a good man by many world leaders, his ability to be a good sec of state was hampered by the fact that he didn't travel and didn't really want to either. Having Condi at the funeral is a good move for the Bush administration because its another step towards a perceived internationalization of the administration's foreign policy. Something which is crucial to acheive the administration's foreign policy goals over the next 4 years.