Sox fans will love this

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone is watching the game (comcast cable has free league pass for the first 2 days of the season, and mlb.tv is working for me for free) is that Billy wearing the D-Ray jersey right behind the bud sign?

edit:

Nevermind, thats behind homeplate. I saw a bald guy with a foam finger.

Edited by chimpy2121

I can't wait to see these pictures.

What a funny thing to do.

As bad as Koch was for the Sox, I never felt any animosity towards him. He always seemed to be working hard and it appeared he really wanted to get things right. It's a shame he was never able to get on track on the SouthSide.

In his return to the Jays this spring, Koch allowed eight hits and five runs in three innings and was roughed up in an intrasquad game.

Koch picked up his children at school after he was released and "a couple of teachers came over and said they were sorry," Koch said. "I said 'it's their call.' "

Then, the kids piled in and Koch asked: "What would you think if I didn't play this year?"

The kids cheered.

The next day, Koch pulled up in front of the school and a child yelled 'Billy Ball Player, Billy Ball Player, are we still going to the game next week?'

"Not only are we going," Koch said, "but I'll be sitting with you and we'll be holding up signs reading 'Go Devil Rays!' "

:lolhitting

If this is true he's an ass. Billy can b**** all he wants about lack of opportunity, but Toronto is paying him almost $1 million to sit on his ass. The way he's pitched the last 2 seasons and in spring training this year, he should thank his lucky stars and offer to do the Blue Jays' laundry.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
someone posted it on a different message board that was getting the d-rays game on tv. I don't have a dish but I think it was the Tampa telecast

What message board?

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
Apparently Billy Koch is so bitter about his release from Toronto that he bought a seat behind the Blue Jay dugout and is decked out in D-Rays gear with a foam finger. I wish I was making this up

I watched the game for a few innings over supper. For me it was the Bule Jays telecast. I was a bit occupied, but I thought the announcer described it as Billy keeping a promise made to a bunch of kids when he was signed by the Jays. He lives in the Tampa region, so when he signed he made a promise to get a bunch of kids some tickets. then poor old Billy gets cut. He kept his promise and showed up in a Tampa shirt with a large foam finger. The Toronto anouncers thought it was pretty funny. Everytime they focused on Koch he seemed to be having a great time yapping it up with some fans. The general feeling was not one of seriousness by anyone. :bang

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 01:39 AM)
If this is true he's an ass. Billy can b**** all he wants about lack of opportunity, but Toronto is paying him almost $1 million to sit on his ass. The way he's pitched the last 2 seasons and in spring training this year, he should thank his lucky stars and offer to do the Blue Jays' laundry.

apparently you didnt actually read the whole thing.... he bought all the tickets for the kids b4 he was released and was pissed because of being released after only 4 relief appearances...... Would it be better if he told all the kids that they wont go to the game because he hates Toronto? And would you root for the team that just released you after just 4 short appearances.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 08:10 PM)
apparently you didnt actually read the whole thing.... he bought all the tickets for the kids b4 he was released and was pissed because of being released after only 4 relief appearances...... Would it be better if he told all the kids that they wont go to the game because he hates Toronto?  And would you root for the team that just released you after just 4 short appearances.

The Blue Jays drafted him and gave him a closer role. They are also paying him almost $1 million this year, and he couldn't get anyone out. He is still being paid by the Blue Jays. He doesn't want to hook up with another team because he wants Toronto to have to pay his entire salary. Or is it that no other team is interested in his services? Perhaps all the batting practice pitching positions are taken. Its ok, they don't pay that well anyway. Its decent of him to take the kids to the game, but if he's decked out in Tampa gear, its not only a shot at Toronto management, but also an insult to every player in their dugout. If the Sox released Koch last year, and he showed up in Tampa at a Sox/DRay game decked out in Tampa gear with a foam finger, you wouldn't think its so funny. What it is is pathetic. The guy needs to grow up. Its a lousy example for those kids.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 02:22 AM)
The Blue Jays drafted him and gave him a closer role. They are also paying him almost $1 million this year, and he couldn't get anyone out. He is still being paid by the Blue Jays. He doesn't want to hook up with another team because he wants Toronto to have to pay his entire salary. Or is it that no other team is interested in his services? Perhaps all the batting practice pitching positions are taken. Its ok, they don't pay that well anyway. Its decent of him to take the kids to the game, but if he's decked out in Tampa gear, its not only a shot at Toronto management, but also an insult to every player in their dugout. If the Sox released Koch last year, and he showed up in Tampa at a Sox/DRay game decked out in Tampa gear with a foam finger, you wouldn't think its so funny. What it is is pathetic. The guy needs to grow up. Its a lousy example for those kids.

ok but the difference is Koch knows we gave him a chance to be on our team... Toronto released after 4 appearances in spring training..... he said b4 i dont care if you say my stuff is s*** but to release me after only 4 appearances is bs.....

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 07:35 PM)
As bad as Koch was for the Sox, I never felt any animosity towards him.  He always seemed to be working hard and it appeared he really wanted to get things right.  It's a shame he was never able to get on track on the SouthSide.

Agreed. He was a class act in Chicago. Never made excuses for his failures and was a good clubhouse guy on top of it. :cheers

I'm sorry that things didn't work out with him and the Jays, but WTF were they thinking when they signed him to a $1 million deal? Had they not looked at his past three years' stats? :wacko: