Question about...

CWSGuy406

I just got the new issue of Baseball America, and there's some interesting stuff in there about college baseball. They have a top 50 or 100 (one of the two) list of all of the pitchers in baseball. I ought to follow the college ranks more, but it's really unfortunate how little they air college games on ESPN/FSN -- I'm hoping that this ESPNU makes it's way to Comcast.

Anyways -- Jason, dan -- or anyone else who follows/knows the college ranks well, I have a question about a pitcher. Ricky Romero is his name. Cal State Fullerton lefty pitcher. He's ranked as the fifth best college pitcher, yet has put up absolutely filthy numbers. 5-1, 1.70 ERA, 40 IP, 30 K's. Ranked the best lefty in college baseball. And, doesn't Cal State have a pretty good rep for turning out players? Any chance we grab this kid at #15? And, Jason, if you've seen him, your thoughts on him?

Keith I've seen him pitch many a times. The guy has been a gamer and pitched big time for the Titans last year in the playoffs as their #2 behind Winsdor.

If I were to compare Romero to anyone it would be Jim Parque. He is short, small in stature and has a fastball right around 89-91 (the times I"ve seen him clocked). He varies a bit from Parque in the sense that he has a pretty damn nasty curveball and mixes in a bit of a slider iirc.

Romero definately has good stuff and guts, but his stature would lead me to believe he would slide, plus he doesn't have that dazzling fastball scouts drool over. He's definately one of the best pitchers in college but I don't know if he grades out as a top 10 pick. Definately a guy that could do some things though, especially because he's been developing a pretty good changeup and his control has done nothing but get better.

His ERA would also be a lot lower had he not gotten a little beat up in his last outing against UCI.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 11:59 PM)
Any chance we grab this kid at #15? 

In addition to what Jason said, no, it's highly unlikely the Sox draft him at #15. Romero isn't as projectible as some of the prospects rated below him and that's not even taking into account HS kids.

Romero will be a late first, or sandwich pick in all likelihood.

With no second round pick, I'm really hoping to see the Sox make a splash with that #15 pick or take some signability guys in the mid rounds and pony up the money...

Edited by Randar68

Thanks for the report, Jason and Randar. After looking at his K's and BB's, I'm a little hesitant too -- 19 BB's in 40 IP (while a very small sample size) is certainly too much.

If you guys have a moment, can you comment on any of the following (other college pitchers)?

Luke Hochevar, Tennessee.

Craig Hansen, St. Johns.

Cesar Ramos, L-Beach-State.

Cesar Carillo, Miami

Ryan Mullins, Vandy.

Joey Devine, NC State.

J Brent Cox, Texas.

I know that's a long list, but comments on any of them would be appreciated. I chose these specific guys because they all had pretty sick K/BB ratios -- all of them seem to have good control, but I'm only looking at a statline -- you guys know a s***load more about their stuff and everything else about them. Hochevar's put up sick numbers, but would I be correct in saying he won't last till 15? Ramos might, though -- would he be a wise choice at 15? I know it's early to tell, and I'm throwing a lot at you, but if you could answer a couple of them, I'd appreciate it a lot. :cheers

Edited by CWSGuy406

I can comment on Mullins a bit. I don't remember a lot of detail about him, but I do remember liking him last year when Vandy came to the SEC Tournament. At the time I was more focused on watching Jeremy Sowers (Cleveland 1st rd pick last year) but Mullins was good. I think he was a tall lefty.

Can't comment on the pitcher from Tennessee because UT usually sux and often does not make the SEC Tourney, or when they do they bow out early.

Another SEC player to watch is Stephen Head from Ole Miss. He pitches, but I believe he is more likely to be drafted as a hitter. He should be a definite 1st round pick.

Also, you will be getting your wish. Because of the absence of hockey, ESPN has picked up several college games and will show games beginning this weekend. The SEC chose not to participate because they wanted rights fees. Only one or two SEC teams will be involved and will be shown when on the road, since they don't own rights to road games.

Check out the LSU-Tulane game on April 19. That is a huge event in New Orleans and I believe has been held in the Superdome before, drawing close to 30,000 fans. Both are currently ranked in the Top 10.

ESPN College Baseball Schedule

Head is supposed to be quite the player, I know a lot of services have him going quite high in the 1st round.

At this time of the year I can't comment on many of the SEC guys other than stuff I've read or heard. Looking forward to watching the games as more get televised, both on ESPN and on the Fox Sports college stations.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 02:24 AM)
Head is supposed to be quite the player, I know a lot of services have him going quite high in the 1st round. 

At this time of the year I can't comment on many of the SEC guys other than stuff I've read or heard. Looking forward to watching the games as more get televised, both on ESPN and on the Fox Sports college stations.

I noticed Head two years ago and was impressed then. He hits LH has pop and hits for a high average with a smooth swing. He'll do well.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)

Speaking of college players, anyone notice how well Wes Hodges has been doing? The kid's hitting at an OPS rate of 1.277 in 120 AB's.

Kid is a stud. Said from day 1 he was "the one who got away"...

Ya, he was insane. The guy breaks his hammate and just picks up hitting from the other side of the plate. Guy is going to be a very very high selection.

And I do remember you talking aboug how good he was going to be, I think its safe to say your right.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
Cesar Carillo, Miami

Throws about 90 mph, with 4 pitches, fastball, curve, change, and slider. Throws strikes, lives off his control. Second round pick, IMO. Doesn't project all that well. Could be a value pick for a stats-based org in the sandwich or early second round, otherwise, mid 2nd...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
Hochevar's put up sick numbers, but would I be correct in saying he won't last till 15?  Ramos might, though -- would he be a wise choice at 15?  I know it's early to tell, and I'm throwing a lot at you, but if you could answer a couple of them, I'd appreciate it a lot.  :cheers

This year there may only be 2 or 3 college pitchers taken in the top half of the first round. Hochevar and Pelfrey will likely be gone in the top 5-7 picks as of right now, and Townsend and McCormick in the 10-15 range, Hansen is a reliever, so mid-to-late first round, probably.

Where does Weaver go? Whoever drafts him knows they'll have to put up big money. Same with Drew.

It's pretty early, and these HS players have to get out to some of the showcases before we can really start to get a feel for where the top 10-15 picks will start dropping and have a clearer picture of who may be available at #15.

Sox with no sandwich or 2nd round picks this year, gotta make that #1 count.

Edited by Randar68