Latest Frank update

aboz56

CHICAGO -- Wednesday marks a milestone for Frank Thomas, which the White Sox slugger hopes is a bit more uplifting than the rare occurrence he encountered on Monday.

With Wednesday reading April 6 on the calendar, it shows six months since Dr. Richard Ferkel performed surgery on Thomas' left ankle to repair a fractured left navicular bone suffered in mid-June of last season. Debris was removed from Thomas' ankle, a bone graft was performed and two screws were inserted into the area.

The six-month mark becomes significant because Thomas has been cleared to go 100 percent during his ongoing physical rehabilitation process. It's a date that also should help Thomas clear his mind in terms of reinjuring the ankle as he fights to get back to the White Sox as soon as possible.

"I'll feel, mentally, a little bit better," said Thomas, in talking with a reporter in Tucson, Ariz., on Tuesday, after going through another day of rehab. "I'll be able to get on that thing a little better.

"Hitting-wise, I feel great, but the running has been the problem. I just have to get over this hurdle of running the bases because instinctually, I don't want to get out there and not do anything that isn't natural.

"It's the natural instinct stuff that I'm working on right now -- crossing over, taking leads. It's doing normal stuff that you do on the baseball field."

Thomas continues to fight through painful scar tissue on a tendon near where the screws were inserted in his left ankle. It's this scar tissue, in part, that is hampering Thomas from running at full speed and preventing him from taking the next big step of an injury rehab assignment at most likely Triple-A Charlotte.

Jogging freely doesn't bother Thomas at this point, according to one of the franchise's greatest hitters. But the "speed thing" is next on Thomas' running agenda, an especially important factor with the big man getting on base so frequently via walks.

"I have to be able to score for my teammates. That's important," said Thomas, who has walked 1,450 times, to go along with 2,113 hits, during his 15-year career.

"I'd love to be back tomorrow because this stinks, being down here when everyone's gone," Thomas added. "It's totally different. I just have to get healthy. I hope to play three or four more years, so in order to (play that long), you have to do the right thing when it comes to serious injuries like this one."

The specter of hitting 500 career home runs drives Thomas, who sits at 436 for his career. But early last week, the 36-year-old right-handed slugger mentioned that his love of the game and desire to win a World Series ring with the White Sox are even stronger guiding forces behind his intense rehab.

Maybe the desire to get out of Tucson is also pushing Thomas. He said that watching the White Sox on Opening Day would be on his agenda, and according to Thomas, he viewed his team's 1-0 victory over Cleveland from a sports bar.

While seeing his team win had to be gratifying, especially a victory exemplifying the new "small-ball" style of baseball the White Sox plan to feature in 2005, it didn't make the day any less personally painful for Thomas. It was a milestone moving in the opposite direction of Wednesday's important date, with Thomas missing his first Opening Day in 15 years.

"It was painful to watch," Thomas said of Opening Day. "It's the first one I've ever missed, and just that rush you get on Opening Day, I totally missed it yesterday.

"But I've played so long, I know what to expect. I know what's going on. I know where the guys are at. So in that sense, I'm not too dejected. It's easy for a younger guy to get down, who is up one year and gets sent down the next. I know what I have to do, and that's get healthy to help this team win."

An expected timetable for Thomas' return falls somewhere around mid-May, with the first series against the Cubs on May 20 seemingly a fitting time. It was the final game against the Cubs, on the Fourth of July at Wrigley Field, when Thomas last faced live pitching in 2004.

Manager Ozzie Guillen said as early as the Winter Meetings that he didn't expect Thomas back until the beginning of June, but Thomas has his own private return date in his mind. He's jumped one hurdle, so to speak, with the six-month recovery mark.

It remains to be seen if Thomas will be prepared enough to be in a White Sox uniform before his 37th birthday on May 27.

"I do have a timetable, but it's not good to tell anyone because you could have setbacks and everything else," Thomas said. "You don't want to get everyone fired up that you're going to be there and you have a setback and you can't get it done.

"With me, I've got to go out two straight weeks, run good, run freely and be able to bounce back that next day. Then, I'll know I'm ready.

"You can go out two days and feel great, then you're set back for a day and you can't do anything because of soreness. Then, you're able to pick it up by the end of the week. I'm at that point now where I'm trying to have consecutive days where I'm pain free."

Forget the running, Frank is just gonna have to go long ball every at bat. :headbang

Since running the bases requires making left turns, is it worse that it is his left ankle, since it would seem to put even more stress on it? I'd think running in a straight line would be less stressful.

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
I dont see why Frank cant play for 4 more years... The man looks like hes in great shape, and if he wants to play that long.. why wouldnt he take a pay cut? I dont think thats out of the question

I'm with you on that. He is still hitting the ball real well and getting on base. I want to always see him in a Sox uniform.