Marte beaning Lee

DBAHO

Interesting read here from Joe Cowley and the Southtown;

Damaso Marte said all the right things, simply describing it as an inside pitch that got away.

But his White Sox teammates and the coaching staff knew it was so much more.

When the left-handed reliever drilled former teammate Carlos Lee in a spring training meeting with Milwaukee on March 23, it was payback for two years worth of frustration.

Lee was a bully to Marte. He often ridiculed Marte's poor upbringing in the Dominican Republic, would sneak up and slap Marte on the back of the neck and would make Marte the butt of his jokes. In other words, Lee was a participant in the kind of selfish behavior the Sox tried to distance themselves from during the past offseason.

"We all knew it was coming," one Sox player said of the Cactus League incident, "and it will probably happen again."

Rowand refuses to publicly criticize Lee's actions, but one Sox coach said Rowand grew frustrated with trying to tell Lee where he needed to play a hitter, only to have Lee wave him off or simply ignore him. On several occasions last year, Lee was burned because he didn't listen to Rowand or the coaching staff about defensive positioning.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
Oh well. I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. If Lee was a prick then I don't blame Marte for hitting him.

Jeckle, I encourage you to check out the announcement on the new sig guidelines.

I'm glad Joe Cowley reported this. He's usually on top of these stories.

Following Lee's HBP I suspected, as did SS2k4 and several others, it was too coincidental to be "merely an inside pitch that slipped." Marte's immediate reaction did nothing to convince me otherwise.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 12:31 AM)
I'm glad Joe Cowley reported this.  He's usually on top of these stories.

Following Lee's HBP I suspected, as did SS2k4 and several others, it was too coincidental to be "merely an inside pitch that slipped." Marte's immediate reaction did nothing to convince me otherwise.

He's certainly been on top of things Carlos Lee related this off-season that's for sure.

I consider myself corrected then, I thought it was just a pitch that got away.  Although I dont know why Lee would make fun of Marte's upbringing in the DR, they have presidente, the best beer ever!!!!

Agree on the Presidente beer, great stuff.

This story is not far fetched at all IMO.

Lee is an outgoing, gregarious guy who likes to joke and have fun or poke fun. Marte is very quiet. I can see where teasing from Lee becomes overbearing for a quiet guy like Marte.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 09:38 AM)
Agree on the Presidente beer, great stuff.

This story is not far fetched at all IMO.

Lee is an outgoing, gregarious guy who likes to joke and have fun or poke fun.  Marte is very quiet.  I can see where teasing from Lee becomes overbearing for a quiet guy like Marte.

that's actually the perect reasoning behind it. I don't think carlos was a bad guy, just some people don't mix well together. I still have all the respect in the world for carlos.

I'm so tired of this crap. The Sox will blame last season on anything and everything except the fact that the pitching f'n sucked. Now apparently the Chicago White Sox are saying that Carlos Lee was a meanie. Do they need a goddam scout mother? Carlos has not been taking shots at the Sox, JUST SHUT UP AND PLAY.

This is all of a feather with these, 'no selfish players THIS year' and 'winning attitude THIS year' stories. All this ex-post rationalization. I'm just tired of reading about it. They lost not b/c of any clubhouse conflict, they lost because they couldn't get people out.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)
I'm so tired of this crap.  The Sox will blame last season on anything and everything except the fact that the pitching f'n sucked.  Now apparently the Chicago White Sox are saying that Carlos Lee was a meanie.  Do they need a goddam scout mother?  Carlos has not been taking shots at the Sox, JUST SHUT UP AND PLAY.

This is just more of the same crap from the media. They have all of these unattributed quotes that they are passing off as inside information. None of the Sox are actually talking about this stuff, but the media is still trying to push and find people to talk about this, even though no one will anymore.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
Ah the smear campaigns continue. I realize htis is Cowley and not the Sox but will the Sox writers, organization and fans just get over it? What year is it? I thought it was 2005 but you wouldn't  know it by what you read.

Just wait til Torii and the Twins come in.

Marte will bean his ass too. :headbang