Empty stadium

FlaCWS

It's day 2 of the season after a thrilling opening day win, against a division rival on a nice day... and the join is absolutely barren. What am I missing here? Is it a built-in reluctance of this fan base to believe in the team this early? Or is this what we can expect the rest of the year?

Seriously, I thought the fan base was a little energized after this offseason.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(winodj @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
Maybe if we had 26 championships and played a division rival who just won the World Series, we'd sell out that whole series too.

The Cubs have neither and still have drawn 30,000+ on day games in April over the past few years.

Not trying to play devil's advocate, but it's true. Reinsdorf really killed this team's fan base in '94.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
They work in NYC too. I have the Yanks-Boston game on MLB TV and it's packed.

They also have a huge season ticket base. The Sox don't.

They are playing their historical biggest rival. The Sox aren't.

They are also looking at a rematch of a playoff series from last year. The Sox aren't.

They both are expected to contend for the WS. The Sox aren't.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
The Cubs have neither and still have drawn 30,000+ on day games in April over the past few years.

Not trying to play devil's advocate, but it's true.  Reinsdorf really killed this team's fan base in '94.

The Cubs have one of the most revered ballparks in the majors, a neighborhood that people actually think is nice (despite the reality of the situation), and twenty years of good marketing.

We have none of those things.

QUOTE(winodj @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)
The Cubs have one of the most revered ballparks in the majors, a neighborhood that people actually think is nice (despite the reality of the situation), and twenty years of good marketing.

We have none of those things.

We also have an idiot owner who lead a charge to force a strike in '94 while our team was in first place and who traded away our two best pitchers at the July 31st deadline three years later while we were 3 games out of first. That's the most significant factor, IMO.

QUOTE(winodj @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
And by that you mean, our owner has a face that fans can identify when they need a reason to show that the ownership is not committed to winning.

Like the Cubs had been real aggressive at getting the postseason in the 90s. What did all their fans do, buy the Sun Times?

No, that's not what I mean. Whether the owner is a single person, the chariman of a board (as is the case with us), or a national media conglomerate, fans are going to boycott when said owner pulls the plug on two competitive teams down the stretch not once, but TWICE.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)
It's day 2 of the season after a thrilling opening day win, against a division rival on a nice day... and the join is absolutely barren. What am I missing here? Is it a built-in reluctance of this fan base to believe in the team this early? Or is this what we can expect the rest of the year?

Seriously, I thought the fan base was a little energized after this offseason.

Please tell me the "Fla" in your sig doesn't mean you're talking s*** from Florida. And if you are in Chicago, why are you talking smack on here and not at the game? The Sox have never drawn well during weekday afternoon games unless it's Opening Day, the recent Fri. Cubs game, or a playoff game. And NY has twice the population of Chicago AND it's a Yankee town.

Like Lee Elia said, 85% (Sox fans) of the f***ing world's working, the other 15% (Cub fans) are out here!

QUOTE(CubKilla @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
Please tell me the "Fla" in your sig doesn't mean you're talking s*** from Florida. And if you are in Chicago, why are you talking smack on here and not at the game? The Sox have never drawn well during weekday afternoon games unless it's Opening Day, the  recent Fri. Cubs game, or a playoff game. And NY has twice the population of Chicago AND it's a Yankee town.

Like Lee Elia said, 85% (Sox fans) of the f***ing world's working, the other 15% (Cub fans) are out here!

:notworthy

QUOTE(CubKilla @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
Please tell me the "Fla" in your sig doesn't mean you're talking s*** from Florida. And if you are in Chicago, why are you talking smack on here and not at the game? The Sox have never drawn well during weekday afternoon games unless it's Opening Day, the  recent Fri. Cubs game, or a playoff game. And NY has twice the population of Chicago AND it's a Yankee town.

Talking s***? Are you friggin kidding me?? I was just stating a fact because I am very disappointed by it and trying to understand.

Yes, I am in Florida. And I'm a big Sox fan. If you're going to be so sensitive, stay off my thread.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
Talking s***? Are you friggin kidding me?? I was just stating a fact because I am very disappointed by it and trying to understand.

Yes, I am in Florida. And I'm a big Sox fan. If you're going to be so sensitive, stay off my thread.

Not a good start. Just saying.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
No, that's not what I mean.  Whether the owner is a single person, the chariman of a board (as is the case with us), or a national media conglomerate, fans are going to boycott when said owner pulls the plug on two competitive teams down the stretch not once, but TWICE.

I agree with you. When the Cell first opened it was packed. After 94 the fanbase dwindled and now on the 2nd game of the season there should be alot more people. I understand people have work, but there is absolutely no one there. I could drop a pin and I probably would hear it. No team in the majors minus the Rays(if them) had or are having this bad of attendance problems. Not even the Twinkies and they play in a dump. They need to do something about this. I suggest they allow people from the upperdeck to the lower deck. It looks discouraging when even along the first baseline is empty.

I don't know what park you guys were attending but back then I went to nearly every home game and games in April, and sometimes into May depending on the weather, other than OD were never full. This has been the way since before the old park closed.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
I agree with you. When the Cell first opened it was packed. After 94 the fanbase dwindled and now on the 2nd game of the season there should be alot more people. I understand people have work, but there is absolutely no one there. I could drop a pin and I probably would hear it. No team in the majors minus the Rays(if them) had or are having this bad of attendance problems. Not even the Twinkies and they play in a dump. They need to do something about this. I suggest they allow people from the upperdeck to the lower deck. It looks discouraging when even along the first baseline is empty.

I believe the White Sox have sold more tix so far at this point in '05 than they did at the same point in '04.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)

The Sox outdrew the Twins by 1000 people a game last year. The Twins won the division for the 3rd year in a row. The Sox were 21st in attendance, so I would hardly say that only one team was having worse problems...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance?s...04&seasonType=2

QUOTE(CubKilla @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
I believe the White Sox have sold more tix so far at this point in '05 than they did at the same point in '04.

As of the start of spring training Boyer was quoted as saying they had sold their 1 millionth ticket, where as they had only sold about 800,000 at that time in 2004.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
As of the start of spring training Boyer was quoted as saying they had sold their 1 millionth ticket, where as they had only sold about 800,000 at that time in 2004.

Cool. Let's stop worrying about weekday Cell attendance and get to the real issue..... how to put an end to CorpseBall :chair .

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)

Nice to know that they're on a rebound, but they still have a ways to go.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
Nice to know that they're on a rebound, but they still have a ways to go.

Winning games is the only thing that is going to change any of that. Brooks can market the s*** out of this team, and Sox fans are only going to go when we win. His only chance is to try to turn casual entertainment fans into fans of attending games here.