Empty stadium

FlaCWS

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, an attendance thread....I've never seen one of these before....how incredibly interesting and new.... :sleep

One thing and one thing ONLY brings big crowds to USCF and that is WINNING.

As mentioned earlier, the school kids will spike attendance a bit, but the park won't fill unless the team is seriously in the race.

The attendance for the first few years of New Comiskey were a combination of a new park and a young, talented team. In my eyes, USCF is basically a new park again, and if the team wins, the park will be packed. Otherwise, expect smallish crowds on weekdays and in September....again....

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 02:14 AM)
10,000 people is just pathetic. I don't care what day of the week it is.

Then don't pay attention to taday's attendance. With the weather expected for today I would expect less than yesterday. :ph34r:

Why is attendance such an issue with everyone, especially the media. Mariotti waited only a few paragraphs to mention the attendance.

It's simple, day games have never been big draws for the Sox. I would hope next week does better and hopefully we'll sell out the Monday night game against the Twins.

Talk to me in August if we are still drawing like that. I am sure we will bust the 2million mark this year.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 08:21 AM)
I would hope next week does better and hopefully we'll sell out the Monday night game against the Twins.

Yes, I think so, especially if the forecast stays the same:

Apr 11 Partly Cloudy

64°/50°

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 09:39 AM)
I don't know if it is quantifiable, but does anyone know what kind of TV ratings numbers the Sox draw vs. the rest of the league?

I bet we are in the top 10 or so in that area. Maybe?

I don't know about nationwide, but I know our numbers are always a fraction of our northerly neighbors.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 08:42 AM)
I don't know about nationwide, but I know our numbers are always a fraction of our northerly neighbors.

Well we do seem to get a fair amount of national TV games. We are ESPN already this Sunday and for sure one more. They usually switch us to another Sunday game late in the year if we are doing well. We also are on FOX quite a bite. Much more so than say Florida, Arizona, Milwaukee, Cincy and the like.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
Or a new owner

Until the owner puts on a uniform and has an impact between the lines I don't care if Scooby Doo is the owner.. and IMO it's stupid when people use that as an excuse to not go.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 09:58 AM)
Until the owner puts on a uniform and has an impact between the lines I don't care if Scooby Doo is the owner.. and IMO it's stupid when people use that as an excuse to not go.

I'd agree with you, but .... well, I can't blame Blackhawk fans.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(Soxfan78 @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 06:09 AM)
For all of these people that are b****ing because nobody was at the park on a Wednesday afternoon...were you there?

Did it ever occur to you that some of us live hundreds of miles from the ballpark?

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
People on this board were generally excited for the team after the offseason but I wouldn't say the fanbase in general was. They all think that we lost our best players. Time will tell whose right

Agreed, although the Sox only drew something like 1.8 milllion after winning 95 games in 2000 and acquiring David Wells in the offseason.

Winning (as they have been) is always the best way to put butts in the seats, but I'm thinking that, at this point, it's going to take an AL pennant to get the season-ticket-holder base back up to the pre-strike levels.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 09:01 AM)
Care to guess how many times in the HISTORY of the Chicago White Sox that they averaged even 20,000 people before 1980?

Probably 0, but it is a new era. I just hate any attendance discussion. If we aren't drawing on weekends in August, then let's worry about it, until then, lets just worry sbout the team on the field.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
Probably 0, but it is a new era. I just hate any attendance discussion. If we aren't drawing on weekends in August, then let's worry about it, until then, lets just worry sbout the team on the field.

Actually it is 2. 1960 and 1977. If you want to be technical the 13 biggest attendance years were under this ownership as were 16 of the top 17 in team history.

And if you look at the chart attendance falls after the strike, but it falls to its lowest levels in 1998 and 1999, which just happens to correspond with the white flag years, and the years the Sox were not winning. Ownership is not the problem, winning is.

Alright i haven't read the whole thread, so maybe it's in there...but why are these games day games this week (besides opening day)? Seems logical to think that no one will show up, everyone's at work or school. So i wasn't surprised the attendance yesterday was not very high (even though the park literally looked empty when they first showed the stands). If it was a night game, the numbers probably would increase, right?

There's probably something obvious i'm missing here, so feel free to point it out.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 10:13 AM)
Alright i haven't read the whole thread, so maybe it's in there...but why are these games day games this week (besides opening day)? Seems logical to think that no one will show up, everyone's at work or school. So i wasn't surprised the attendance yesterday was not very high (even though the park literally looked empty when they first showed the stands). If it was a night game, the numbers probably would increase, right?

There's probably something obvious i'm missing here, so feel free to point it out.

Because historically it's too cold, and usually raining here at night this time of the year. It's been like this forever..

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
Makes sense...though maybe a later start time would help.

Can't do much about these April day games i guess.

Honestly, you can't. They are always on the schedule in early April.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 09:09 AM)
Ownership is not the problem, winning is.

Actually, I'd argue that it's both. In MLB, teams that can't bring in enough revenue to pay for a talented team are at a serious disadvantage when going up against the big spenders (Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Cards, Dodgers, Giants, etc.). Reinsdorf and his crew pulled the plug on TWO competitive teams down the stretch ('94 and '97) and alienated A LOT of casual fans.