Empty stadium

FlaCWS

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
I'm telling you.. all this stupid ass ignorant generalization s*** is really starting to piss me off. How many games do you go to...?

I live in Plainfield.. it's 60 effing miles home. 50+ times a year we make that drive. You are preaching to the effing choir here.. go b**** at the ones that do make excuses. Clearly.. they don't post here.

Damn straight.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
How much do you think the jump in early sales has to do with the fact that tickets went on sale about a month earlier than they used to?

I think that has to play a small part in the numbers sold so far. I do think people are a little more excited about the moves the team has made, but the earlier on-sale date is also a factor IMO.

As for the Cubs, they have practically ZERO walk-ups. Hell, most of their entire season's seating was sold on the first day.

If the Sox sold out every game, you just KNOW we'd hear complaints about "fair-weather fans" and parking nightmares and scalpers, so I'd just as soon have 20-25K a night and not worry about it.

That could be, but by that logic the games in September should be sold out, because they have much, much longer to buy tickets.

I think selling tickets at Soxfest was a duh moment stroke of genius. You get 30,000 people to come and do nothing but think about the Sox, and then you used to leave them with nothing to channel that outlet to. To have tickets available for them was a great idea. I think even if the fest had been later, the mere fact of giving people a way to do something with their Sox-excitment would have jumped sales somewhat.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
That could be, but by that logic the games in September should be sold out, because they have much, much longer to buy tickets. 

I think selling tickets at Soxfest was a duh moment stroke of genius.  You get 30,000 people to come and do nothing but think about the Sox, and then you used to leave them with nothing to channel that outlet to.  To have tickets available for them was a great idea.  I think even if the fest had been later, the mere fact of giving people a way to do something with their Sox-excitment would have jumped sales somewhat.

Good points.

As far as September games go, I think that's TOO far in advance for people to consider. Some people ( I tend to fall into this too ) think of baseball as a May to August thing. That's when I tend to go to most of my games, because to me, that's summer and summer = baseball.

September is playoff crunch time and we all know how well THAT's worked out since 2000..... :banghead , so I tend to not buy those in advance. It's like going to a wake.

and you could have just written Soxcitement and we'd all know what you meant.

HEY.....that's a catchy term there.....SOXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Good points.

As far as September games go, I think that's TOO far in advance for people to consider. Some people ( I tend to fall into this too ) think of baseball as a May to August thing. That's when I tend to go to most of my games, because to me, that's summer and summer = baseball.

September is playoff crunch time and we all know how well THAT's worked out since 2000..... :banghead , so I tend to not buy those in advance. It's like going to a wake.

and you could have just written Soxcitement and we'd all know what you meant.

HEY.....that's a catchy term there.....SOXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Head to the copyright office now and get that one reserved! :P

I go to high school still....But once i move out and im on my own and have a job that actually pays me some good money... i plan to make like 30-40 games a year no matter how bad they are... im just a fan of baseball in general, a course the white sox are my favorite though.

When I'm an adult and have a family I am going to buy season tickets for sure as long as I don't live incredilbly far from the stadium. But right now, I would like to settle in the Chicago suburbs so that shouldn't be a problem. And now that I have my license and a car I'll be going a lot more, but it sucks because my parents don't want me driving into the city or I would go at least once every homestand.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
When I'm an adult and have a family I am going to buy season tickets for sure as long as I don't live incredilbly far from the stadium. But right now, I would like to settle in the Chicago suburbs so that shouldn't be a problem. And now that I have my license and a car I'll be going a lot more, but it sucks because my parents don't want me driving into the city or I would go at least once every homestand.

I lived in Alsip previous to Plainfield.. straight shot down the Dan Ryan was simple.. my grama lives in Oak Lawn and still goes to 40+ games a year. And like I've said before we make it to 50+ living in Plainfield. The drive home is about an hour on weeknights.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
I lived in Alsip previous to Plainfield.. straight shot down the Dan Ryan was simple.. my grama lives in Oak Lawn and still goes to 40+ games a year. And like I've said before we make it to 50+ living in Plainfield. The drive home is about an hour on weeknights.

That's awesome that your grandma still goes to that many games. My grandmas yells at me for watching and playing too many sports. :lol:

I'm about an hour away from the Cell as well. But the only bad thing is 80-94 and the Indiana tollroad are both under heavy construction. Hopefully they become more leinant later this summer when school is out.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
I'm telling you.. all this stupid ass ignorant generalization s*** is really starting to piss me off. How many games do you go to...?

I live in Plainfield.. it's 60 effing miles home. 50+ times a year we make that drive. You are preaching to the effing choir here.. go b**** at the ones that do make excuses. Clearly.. they don't post here.

I'm going to 60 something. I went to Monday's and sadly I was apart of today's. Whoever asked the attendance, it was 10,000, maybe a little more. That's home game's at least. Me and my friends are also taking road trips to Comerica, Kauffman and the Bagdome. Anyway, that game was, less than stellar.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)

ALSIP

WOOO

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
My dad and I used to laugh because he could sit in our seats (144 row 2) and I could go sit in 122 and we could barely raise our voices and hear eachother across the park. Those used to be the only games my Grampa and Great Grampa would attend because they didn't like all the people.

How about a nice chicago fire through wrigelyville.

Steff In my opinion, said it all when she said, "It's been this way for the last 20 years..."

Let's just hope we play exciting ball and we get big crowds during the warm weather months. It is wild, though, that they can play two day games in April and basically nobody attended.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)
It's day 2 of the season after a thrilling opening day win, against a division rival on a nice day... and the join is absolutely barren. What am I missing here? Is it a built-in reluctance of this fan base to believe in the team this early? Or is this what we can expect the rest of the year?

Seriously, I thought the fan base was a little energized after this offseason.

Well, this certainly contradicts everything that the "spend it and they will come" crowd has been telling us. The Sox payroll is roughly double what it was in 2000, yet the attendance figures are still horrible. The simple fact is that the South Side is not a good place to have a baseball team so much so that once Reinsdorf no longer has anything to do with the team, it will likely wind up somewhere else, such as Indianapolis, where the metropolitan area is smaller than Chicago, but the fans are far more appreciative/supportive than on the South Side.

Also, this sort of thing has been going on for more than a decade before Reinsdorf ever bought the team, so its isn't his fault.

Well, I will be going to 3 games this month, and around 20 overall this season. I have no reason not to, since I'm making very good money now in my career and am a 10 minute WALK to the ballpark (or an easy 2-minute drive and park a block from the ballpark on the street).

We're getting a Bogan Block together several times this year. You all should try getting blocks together of co-workers if possible...that could be fun and bring the 'casual' co-workers back for more if they enjoyed themselves!

No way we'd ever move to Indy.

The Sox apparently are doing OK or breaking even at least or

whatever monetary wise or Dork and his co owners would sell.

They know how the attendance thing works in Chicago.

Our attendance was pretty good last year and as long as we are

.500ish it will remain that way.

If I'm wrong lemme know.

QUOTE(trexer @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 09:25 PM)
The simple fact is that the South Side is not a good place to have a baseball team

Do you realize that Bridgeport is the most up-and-comming neighborhood in the entire city right now? There are a plethora of developments that will be coming about in the next few years. Here in Bridgeport, it will be THE cool place to come very soon (as if it isn't already, according to myself, at least). It's easy access to downtown will make the development boom the commerce in this area (I can drive to the downtown area in under 5 minutes, or be a couple of orange line stops from downtown from where I live--and the reverse commute is just as easy).

Look it's early April and they are day games. Nothing to sweat about. We are already way ahead of last year's pace of ticket sales.

We will probably draw flies for the Seattle series and do OK for the Mon night Twins game. After that it will slowly build until summer.

Weekday nights in April and May - 15-20K

Weekends April and May - 20K - 25K

Weekday Day June - Aug - 20K

Weekday nights June - Aug - 20K - 25K

Weekends June - Aug - 30K

The Sox never drew to weekday day games. Ever! Different fan base. Talk to me about the attendance in August and then we'll see if the criticism is warranted.

Bridgeport

"Hiya doon?"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah ..."

"Right, right, right ..."

"Whadtha-fock-youse-talkin'bout?"

"Jeetyet?" (Translation: Did you eat yet?)

"Houseyerbrudder?" (Translation: How's your brother?)

:D

The simple fact is that the South Side is not a good place to have a baseball team so much so that once Reinsdorf no longer has anything to do with the team, it will  likely wind up somewhere else, such as Indianapolis, where the metropolitan area is smaller than Chicago, but the fans are far more appreciative/supportive than on the South Side.

Your first statement is opinion ... not fact.

Your second statement is true in the sense Indy metro is smaller than Chicago. The second part is nothing more than blowing smoke. Indy has never been seriously mentioned for MLB and in my opinion I doubt it ever will.