Empty stadium

FlaCWS

So, do we know this for a fact or is it just speculation?  I'm not challenging the validity of this, but am just curious, as it seems like nobody really knows.  Is there any documentation of the purchase from Veeck that corroborates this story?

To answer your question, or should I more accurately say give you a resource, check the local Barnes and Noble for a book by Richard Lindberg which is titled something to the effect of, "Stealing First: 2nd Team in a Two Team City". It will be with all the baseball books. Lindberg is one of the most prominent White Sox historians alive ... maybe the foremost.

In there, he outlines Veeck's efforts to sell the team, Reinsdorf and Einhorn, and much more. It's a very interesting read. In addition, if you care, there is an entire chapter devoted to the Chicago Cardinals NFL team (now AZ Cardinals) and the factors that caused them to leave town for St. Louis.

That book will give you an excellent historical background. Suffice it to say that all of those guys listed on the board of directors are huge money guys, and there are other investors not on the board who are also huge money guys ... big time insurance guys, owners of law firms, real estate guys, etc. There are many more investors than are shown on the board of directors list on the White Sox site.

Simply put, when people say "Reinsdorf should just sell", it isn't that simple. He is extremely influential with the entire board, as is Einhorn, but it's run like a corporation with directors. One guy doesn't have full say so ... it's much more complicated.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)
To answer your question, or should I more accurately say give you a resource, check the local Barnes and Noble for a book by Richard Lindberg which is titled something to the effect of, "Stealing First: 2nd Team in a Two Team City".  It will be with all the baseball books.  Lindberg is one of the most prominent White Sox historians alive ... maybe the foremost.

In there, he outlines Veeck's efforts to sell the team, Reinsdorf and Einhorn, and much more.  It's a very interesting read.  In addition, if you care, there is an entire chapter devoted to the Chicago Cardinals NFL team (now AZ Cardinals) and the factors that caused them to leave town for St. Louis.

That book will give you an excellent historical background.  Suffice it to say that all of those guys listed on the board of directors are huge money guys, and there are other investors not on the board who are also huge money guys ... big time insurance guys, owners of law firms, real estate guys, etc.  There are many more investors than are shown on the board of directors list on the White Sox site.

Simply put, when people say "Reinsdorf should just sell", it isn't that simple.  He is extremely influential with the entire board, as is Einhorn, but it's run like a corporation with directors.  One guy doesn't have full say so ... it's much more complicated.

Thank you. I will definitely check it out.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
Not at all.  Actually I was just talking to Kap, and Soxtalk has put up its two biggest single day hit counts in the last two days (560k, 600k), along with almost 4500 posts, and everything is running awesome on the server end.

It's here.. I was having trouble on another site also.