ACT Advice?

CWSGuy406

Anyone have any advice? Besides the obvious of getting a good night's rest, having a bite to eat in the morning?

I took a practice one a couple months ago (which my buddy told me is actually a lot harder than the actual ACT, anyone care to comment on that?), and got a 22 -- I know that doesn't look real stellar, but I was sick through the whole test and by the time I got to the last part of it (Science or English/Grammar), I was basically circling in 'C' for all of 'em, at that point I wanted to go home and puke.

Also, what should give me a chance to get into some good schools? I'm not aiming for Harvard or Yale, but -- let's just say, Illinois and Marquette. I figure a 25 and I should be in good shape (top 10 % class rank, 23 out of 315), but -- is that true?

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated...

My advice would be not to worry or think about it to much, honestly. As far as the practice ones go, I did better on the real one compared to the practice one. I took it last year, I bought one of those act study books and looked over some things like a week before the test and scored right where I wanted to and I'm not a very good test taker. As far as getting into a good school a 25 should be absolutely fine for you

Don't freak yourself out. On the ACT I think you are supposed to answer everything even if you're guessing (as opposed to the SAT).

Go into it with the attitude that you're a really good student--and that will be reflected in your ACT score.

And in the end, don't worry too much about it. I know a kid who got a 35 and flunked out of school. And I know someone else that got a 19 and is on dean's list....

If you have a strong overall application that will speak to your credit even with a mediocre ACT. But you'll be fine, so don't worry.

IIRC (things may have changed over the past 5 years,) you only need to know up to trig for the math section. The science part is actually "Science Reasoning" which means you don't have to know dick about science, you just need to draw reasonable conclusions from the data they give you.

I had trouble with the reading part (I'm Math/science oriented) because there were 25 questions that you had to answer in 20 minutes. I suggest looking at the questions first, then going through the article knowing what you are looking for.

Edited by santo=dorf

I took it twice.

I took it in april my junior year, got a 26.

Took it in june that same year, got a 28.

All i can tell you is to try and stay focused. If you let your mind wander, your screwed for the reading part.

Don't get yourself worked up over it. It usually will show how much you know, it's not going to be a fluke. If you keep calm and stay focused, you'll do as well as you think you can.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 06:00 PM)
IIRC (things may have changed over the past 5 years,) you only need to know up to trig for the math section.  The science part is actually "Science Reasoning" which means you don't have to know dick about science, you just need to draw reasonable conclusions from the data they give you. 

I had trouble with the reading part (I'm Math/science oriented) because there were 25 questions that you had to answer in 20 minutes.  I suggest looking at the questions first, then going through the article knowing what you are looking for.

that's correct. The science part is all about observing and drawing conclusions.

Based nothing on previous knowledge.

I believe i got a 35 on the reading my 2nd time, 28 on english, and 25's on math and science.

Something along those lines.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 05:00 PM)
IIRC (things may have changed over the past 5 years,) you only need to know up to trig for the math section.  The science part is actually "Science Reasoning" which means you don't have to know dick about science, you just need to draw reasonable conclusions from the data they give you. 

I had trouble with the reading part (I'm Math/science oriented) because there were 25 questions that you had to answer in 20 minutes.  I suggest looking at the questions first, then going through the article knowing what you are looking for.

Correct. I will say the reading section was definitely the hardest part imo, not because the questions were hard but just because you get very little time to do that section, other then that like santo said the science is just science reasoning, the english section is pretty simple and the math section goes up to trig.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 05:58 PM)
Don't freak out about it and personally, I'm a fan of the ACT for Dummies.

Ide be taking that one... i got a 21 on the ACT.. but I still got into every college I applied to

I took it twice and got a 29 both times (though with different scores for different sections each time i took it - if i could take the better section from each test, i would have had like a 31).

Soxnbears is right, just say focused and calm. It's not fun taking standardized tests, but give yourself some sort of motivation to do well. Like after the test maybe you'll reward yourself with a real nice lunch or something. That might sound weird but i think it works sometimes.

Don't wander, and use all the time you have. Check your answers if you have some time too, you'll never know what you'll go back and fix.

You'll be fine as long as you can focus that day.

Im also a junior in HS. I already took the ACT in september and got a 26. The biggest suggestion I have is not to worry. Its easier said then done, but try not to get too worked up.

I honestly think the whole sleep thing is overated too. The night before the ACT in sept. I was at a NIU game and didnt get home until midnight. Good luck Saturday, Ill be taking it too (shootin for a 30).

you probly shoulda gone to those classes with me

UGH, people in those ACT classes are the biggest ASS KISSERS in the school, its sick... The one night I wanted to watch Duke/UNC and the class lasted an extra hour cause this girl had to ask questions she knew the answers to, just to make herself sound smart. I hate the ACT and I havent even taken it yet. April 9th cant get over fast enough.

Edited by Pauly8509CWS

The science section is stupid. They show you some graphs or tell you about the results of some experiment and then ask you a few questions about it.

The math and English (I think it's divided into reading and writing sections) parts will be more trouble. If one -or both- give you some trouble, just review them a bit. They're not going to throw you any curveballs on the math section, but you should know how to do a lot of different types of problems. For English, study where commas go or some s*** like that.