Garcia.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

He struggled with his control, but as the game went on his fastball starting looking pretty darn good. Much like the Garcia of old. WGN didn't have the radar on, but I'd guess he was hitting 94 on more then one ocassion with some good life on it.

Not his best outing, but he battled through and looked like he started to losen up. Kind of like Colon did yesterday for the Angels.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 07:00 PM)
Slow start, solid finish.  Nice to see the veteran pitcher able to settle down and give us some innings dispite the bad start.

That's good to hear. We knew Garcia and Burhle would be good to go, now lets see how the middle and bottom of the rotation fare. This is where it gets interesting from a pitching standpoint.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 12:56 AM)
6 innings and only 2 earned runs seemed pretty good to me.  Not as good as MB but seems like he held it down pretty well. 

Anyone who actually saw the game.......howd he look?

I was there, he struggled bigtime early. He ran the count to 3-0, 3-1 what seemed like a dozen times in the first few innings but made his pitches when he needed to and got some big outs. He did his job, gave the team a chance to win the game which is ultimately what you want from your starting pitcher. The gun at the park had him at 101 sometimes, so obviously that was wrong, I would say he was more around 92-95 with his heater, and it seemed to get stronger throughout the game which was a good sign.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)
Anyone who gives up only 2 runs in 6 innings of worked deserves to win IMO. Quality start = good outing.

I guess a win is a win. Judging by what I've heard from here maybe he could tighten things up just a little next time. Still, a good outing though.

:gosox2: :gosox3:

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 07:39 PM)
How old is Garcia?  I want to say 29, but...?

Correct. I was extremely impressed by Freddy today, I say that because he really was struggling threw the first 3 innings yet he worked and worked and only let up 2 runs threw those first 3. He then started to look better and better and dominated his last 3 innings. That's an indicator of a very good pitcher when he can struggle yet hold a great offense to 2 runs. Great job Freddy :headbang

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)
Anyone who gives up only 2 runs in 6 innings of worked deserves to win IMO. Quality start = good outing.

Especially against an offense as potent as Cleveland's. But like somenbody mentioned earlier, we know Garica and Buerhle will be solid. Time to see what the rest of the rotation looks like. Crosses fingers.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2004 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
Especially against an offense as potent as Cleveland's.  But like somenbody mentioned earlier,  we know Garica and Buerhle will be solid.  Time to see what the rest of the rotation looks like.  Crosses fingers.

4/7 Probables: C. Lee Vs Contreras

:bringit

Lets find out.

I didn't really follow Garcia closely when he was wiith Seattle. Since he's been with the Sox, it seems like his final numbers for each game look better than if you watched the game. He seems to get into a lot of jams and puts a lot of runners on and gives up the long ball a lot, but also strikes out a lot of hitters to get himself out. Has he always been that way, or is it just since he got here?

I didn't really follow Garcia closely when he was wiith Seattle. Since he's been with the Sox, it seems like his final numbers for each game look better than if you watched the game. He seems to get into a lot of jams and puts a lot of runners on and gives up the long ball a lot, but also strikes out a lot of hitters to get himself out. Has he always been that way, or is it just since he got here?

Agreed, it seems like many of his outings are like that. He had a much easier time pitching in Safeco since it is one of the worst hitter's parks in baseball.

early on it was pretty evident that FG didnt have the best accuracy on his fastball. Yet he worked through it, got out of a couple jams, and put us in a position to win, which is all we can ask for when the bats arent working early on in a game.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 04:01 AM)
Agreed, it seems like many of his outings are like that.  He had a much easier time pitching in Safeco since it is one of the worst hitter's parks in baseball.

.....but he rarely, if ever gets blown out. Maybe I just have to get used to expecting it from him.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
6 innings and only 2 earned runs seemed pretty good to me.  Not as good as MB but seems like he held it down pretty well. 

Anyone who actually saw the game.......howd he look?

He didn't pitch as well as his numbers suggest. Was constantly falling behind hitters for the first three innings and even balked in a run (inexcusable for a veteran pitcher). Despite the fact that his command was way off, he did a very good job of pitching out of jams and did only allow two to cross the plate in six innings. I'd give his performance a B-.