First Jobs

DVsoxfan

Hey, I'm 17 and looking for a part-time/summer job so I can convince my parents to let me get a truck. I was wondering, do any of you have some good suggestions for a first job? Also, what was your first job? Thanks

QUOTE(DVsoxfan @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 08:20 PM)
Hey, I'm 17 and looking for a part-time/summer job so I can convince my parents to let me get a truck.  I was wondering, do any of you have some good suggestions for a first job?  Also, what was your first job?  Thanks

Try home depot if there is one by you, they will start you off at 10+ dollars an hour, not too shabby

First job was at a sporting goods store when I was 15 for $5/hr.

Worst job I ever had was a summer at Great America. They worked me like a slave. 6 days a week when I was 16 and pay was junk. You did get a 1 hour break and a 30 minute break which was kind of nice. Lots of good eye candy around the park as well.

I got my first job last summer at the local university working with the dining services. It is not a fun job, but hey, it's money. I got a truck last summer too after working and I love it. I'm hoping to get a better job this summer (I'm still working at the uni) so I can make some more money and get a system in my truck. One thing you should look at in your job is flexible hours. That is the best thing about my job, I make my own schedule and it really comes in handy.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 08:34 PM)
I got my first job last summer at the local university working with the dining services. It is not a fun job, but hey, it's money. I got a truck last summer too after working and I love it. I'm hoping to get a better job this summer (I'm still working at the uni) so I can make some more money and get a system in my truck. One thing you should look at in your job is flexible hours. That is the best thing about my job, I make my own schedule and it really comes in handy.

What kind of truck do you have?

QUOTE(Brian @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 09:33 PM)
First job was at a sporting goods store when I was 15 for $5/hr.

Worst job I ever had was a summer at Great America. They worked me like a slave. 6 days a week when I was 16 and pay was junk. You did get a 1 hour break and a 30 minute break which was kind of nice. Lots of good eye candy around the park as well.

Great America was my best job in High School. Ride Operations :headbang Kicking tires on Turn of the Century, Haybailer, and Sky Whirl

My first was at a golf course for $3 per hour and all the golf I could play. I quit when they cut back on the golf.

If you are looking to make a lot of money, look at a construction site, paving crew, lawn crews, etc. Hard labor pays ok.

Cool factor get Red Cross lifesaver certified and hang out at a pool.

Summer Camps need staff, one of my Scouts is spending 10 weeks as a life guard at a camp in the mountains. Food and Room plus $200 per week.

First job was doing some of that migratory-type farm work at 14 yrs of age, weeding soybean fields. Back hurt like hell! First job that actually paid me with a check, with taxes and all taken out was at a Dairy Queen, as a cook, of all things. Got to make the ice cream stuff too, which was kinda fun back then. But hey, it was all about the money, ANY MONEY, back then.

My very first job was working in a bowling alley. Really sucked. Had to empty garbage, vacuum, clean tables, etc... I quit when the were in the middle of renovations and made me shovel dirt for 8 straight hours at $4 an hour.

If I wanted manual labor I would've worked for the city...

My second job was working at a KB toy store. It was an absolute blast. I literally got paid to play with toys all day. :)

My first job was a Dunkin Donuts cashier.. My grandparents knew the owners so I got in there making cash at 14 for 2 hours a day after school and 4 hours on Saturday and Sunday mornings. My second was a teller at a bank.. that sucked .. then I waitressed which was the most awesome $$ ever. A cool K a week. Do guys make good $$ as servers..?

At my first job (I am not counting the babysitting I did from age 13-16), I started out as cashier, worked my way up to customer service desk clerk and then night manager. The job wasn't too bad, but there were some customers who were total asses.

From there I interned as an R&D engineer then I graduated and got a job as a design engineer. After laid off from that I am where I am now - applications engineer.