2005 MLB team payrolls

southsider2k5

The White Sox come in at #13, despite being #21 last year in attendance. The Yankees top 4 players salaries combined equal more than 26 individual teams entire payrolls.

New York Yankees  $ 208,306,817                                          

Boston Red Sox  $ 123,505,125                                          

New York Mets  $ 101,305,821                                          

Los Angeles Angels  $ 97,725,322                                          

Philadelphia Phillies  $ 95,522,000                                          

St. Louis Cardinals  $ 92,106,833                                          

San Francisco Giants  $ 90,199,500                                          

Seattle Mariners  $ 87,754,334                                          

Chicago Cubs  $ 87,032,933                                          

Atlanta Braves  $ 86,457,302                                          

Los Angeles Dodgers  $ 83,039,000                                          

Houston Astros  $ 76,779,000                                          

Chicago White Sox  $ 75,178,000                                          

Baltimore Orioles  $ 73,914,333                                          

Detroit Tigers  $ 69,092,000                                          

San Diego Padres  $ 63,290,833                                          

Arizona Diamondbacks  $ 62,329,166                                          

Cincinnati Reds  $ 61,892,583                                          

Florida Marlins  $ 60,408,834                                          

Minnesota Twins  $ 56,186,000                                          

Texas Rangers  $ 55,849,000                                          

Oakland Athletics  $ 55,425,762                                          

Washington Nationals  $ 48,581,500                                          

Colorado Rockies  $ 48,155,000                                          

Toronto Blue Jays  $ 45,719,500                                          

Cleveland Indians  $ 41,502,500                                          

Milwaukee Brewers  $ 39,934,833                                          

Pittsburgh Pirates  $ 38,133,000                                          

Kansas City Royals  $ 36,881,000                                          

Tampa Bay Devil Rays  $ 29,363,067         

Edited by southsider2k5

It's surprising to see that the "stingy, cheap" White Sox are spending 6 million more in payroll than the "aggressive, willing to pay for the top free agents" Detroit Tigers.

Once you get past the recent FA's like Percival, Rodriguez and Ordonez, and then the second-tire guys like White, Urbina, Higginson and Young, they must have a LOT of minimum or near-minimum guys.

Something else interesting from USA today...

Sox payrolls the last 3 years

2005 $75 mil

2004 $65 mil

2003 $51 mil

The payroll has gone up $25 million or 50% in the last two season. Which is real interesting when you look at our attendance #'s.

2002 1.67 million

2003 1.94 million

2004 1.93 million

Now I know ticket prices have gone up, but not nearly that much. I will be interested to see the Forbes P/L figures for the Sox this year. The payroll jump is huge vs the attendance levels we have had.

Yeah JR and company are really lining their pockets on this team.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 09:08 AM)
I found the Cubs # interesting.  Maybe that doesn't include the Sosa obligation?

I am pretty sure it does not. In the accompanying article it talks about how the Yankees payroll dips below $200 mil when the ARod payments from Texas are included.

While the players on the Yankees’ opening-day roster totaled $205.9 million, cash received by New York in trades, notably last year’s deal to acquire A-Rod from Texas, cut the team’s payroll to $199.77 million.

So with that in mind, it doesn't look like it.

Yeah JR and company are really lining their pockets on this team.

Hmm.. raise ticket prices by about 25% .. and wow you can increase the payroll by about 25%..

When I got my season tix in 03, they were about 1400.. The next year they wanted 1650...do It was only a 18% increase in 04..Now this also doesn't take into account the increase in parking, concession stand, and beer prices.. and wow.. there comes the increase in payroll.

Still The owners are not putting anything into this team..We are..Until the owners show they that care as much about this team as we do I don't see us getting any top FA.. down the line.. I still think Mags is right.. they don't care about winning, they care about money.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 09:19 AM)
Hmm.. raise ticket prices by about 25% .. and wow you can increase the payroll by about 25%..

When I got my season tix in 03, they were about 1400.. The next year they wanted 1650...do It was only a 18% increase in 04..Now this also doesn't take into account the increase in parking, concession stand, and beer prices.. and wow.. there comes the increase in payroll.

Still The owners are not putting anything into this team..We are..Until the owners show they that care as much about this team as we do I don't see us getting any top FA.. down the line.. I still think Mags is right.. they don't care about winning, they care about money.

Seriously? You want owners to go into debt? Look at the Diamondbacks...I can't believe you would say that. If you owned the team, would you put a ton of extra money into it? I doubt it, also, we're in the top half of salaries, what is wrong with you people?

QUOTE(SuperSteve @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
Seriously? You want owners to go into debt? Look at the Diamondbacks...I can't believe you would say that. If you owned the team, would you put a ton of extra money into it? I doubt it, also, we're in the top half of salaries, what is wrong with you people?

Consider the source. :rolly

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 10:07 AM)
Consider the source.  :rolly

No kidding. This one acts like everything raised and those that perform the services continued to work at 1955 wages.. :rolly

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 12:19 AM)

Let's go from the Kotex Boy view here - Sports Owners should be in it to win, and not care about wasting money and making losses.

A Business Person - You want to get a return on your investment.

And the increases in concessions, you can put that down to inflation. If payroll keeps rising the way it is, in 3 years we could have over $100 million. And Maggs is just pissed he didn't get his original deal, even though it was the right decision to let him go.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)
Worst bang for the buck...Phillies?

I'm going to put in a vote for the Giants. There is no way they have a $90 million team. Bonds and Schmidt are worth it and the newly acquired Benitez and Alou (think they overpayed, but he's productive) are okay, but the rest of their contracts are pretty brutal. For $90 mil they somehow have only one above average starter, a mediocre lineup that Bonds is carrying, and a less than stellar pen. I really don't see them hanging around with Bonds out, he's been propping that team up for the last couple of years. Yeah, the Phillies, Mets, and Orioles also underachieve, but I think the Giants have the fewest productive players and the least balance of that group.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
So Carlos Lee is about 20% of the Brewers payroll?  That seems obscene to me.  I just dont believe that you can put 20% of your payroll into one player

I believe we will see a gradual increase in the Brewers payroll. They have to start somewhere if that's the plan.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
They are in today's Trib is where I saw them.  USA today has a great database that has historical figures.

Thanks. I also found that USA Today and ESPN have differing figures on the Sox this year ($75,178,000 vs. $77,903,000, respectively).

Oh yeah, anyone email this to Mariotti??? I swear, someone needs to completely call out this jagbag. The Sox could have the best 10 year run for any team winning the WS in all 10 years and he'll still have 5 bad things to say everyday. Hell, why isn't he talking about the Cubs being 1-2? By the way he writes his column, it makes it seem like we've lost both games by a total of 14 runs.