2005 MLB team payrolls

southsider2k5

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)

Excellent timing for that.

The Sox payroll went up $10 million for 2005, while making an $8 million profit for 2004. Add in the $2 million the Yankees are sending us for Jose Contreras and once again, the Sox are rolling all of their profits into the payroll, just like clockwork.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
So what the hell are the Braves paying for??? They have Hudson, Chipper, Smoltz and Jones. The rest of the guys from what I know, dont make much or at least don't deserve to.

Aren't the Braves paying a hefty contract to Mike Hampton as well??

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
Aren't the Braves paying a hefty contract to Mike Hampton as well??

Hampton's payroll figure is included with the Braves, even though the Rockies and Marlins are paying a chunk of it. (which doesn't show in the totals)

You're leaving out revenue though. The WSox revenue doesn't necc reflect there attendance. Revenue wise they earned $30M less than the Cubs. At least that's what was reported. That was good for middle of the pack.

They are keeping the payroll in line with revenue. But that doesn't tell the whole story either. The WSox rank in the top 12 in local media revenue. But that's the pot the league grabs out of for revenue sharing. The gate revenue is all theirs. That's why attendance is very important.

When JR says they have lost a few million a year over the last few years the numbers tell me he's not lying. Unlike other teams which own their stadiums (SFG, NYY, CHC) the WSox only rent US Cell. So the increased value of the Cell doesn't impact the value of the WSox as much. It's why the WSox are not ranked in the top 15 in franchise value.

I tend to believe for the most part that the WSox books are legit & JR does what is within reason to try & win. I don't think the same can be said for all the other teams. The Cub easily have a franchise value, revenue gate, & media revenue to rank them in the top 5 in MLB capable of a $140M payroll. Yet they only spend $103M, 13 of which is playing for BAL. If you want to call someone cheap they sit at the top of the list.

I wanted to add that what makes things worse for the WSox is that every team in their division gets a bigger chunk of the local media rev pot then they do. The pots divied up based on who has the least local media rev. It ignores the gate rev completely. So that puts the WSox at an even greater disadvantage. Pohlad of course is always accused of pocketing that $.

Again the Cubs don't care because they cook the books to hide a great portion of their local media $'s with the WGN tie-ins. So since the big Wrigley craze started they've always had the $ advantage in the division.