New Brackets

LowerCaseRepublican

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 09:14 PM)
I think the best shot of an American Pope was buried with Cardinal Bernadin.

You are most likely right. And with America's standing in the world, it will be a long time if ever, that we see an American pope. Good money would be bet on Italian or Latin American. I really doubt the Catholic church is advanced enough for a black pope, so that eliminates a whole continent.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
You are most likely right.  And with America's standing in the world, it will be a long time if ever, that we see an American pope.  Good money would be bet on Italian or Latin American.  I really doubt the Catholic church is advanced enough for a black pope, so that eliminates a whole continent.

With America's standing in the world -- and the fact that the Popes need to speak multiple languages, be very diplomatic etc. etc., it'd be difficult seeing an American Pope with the political climate that is dominating the country at the current time.

It'd be really cool to see a Latin American Pope although they would probably pick somebody who is quite moderate and not a follower of liberation theology. But whomever the Pope is, they've got a lot of work ahead of them since J2P2 didn't do too much to handle the priest rape scandal or the 3rd world AIDS/HIV crisis due to his severely ailing health at the time.

And an odd aside about the Pope -- when other major world entities came out against the war, it was chic to bash the French, the Germans, etc. etc., but nobody said s*** about the Pope and the Vatican's anti-war position. Why weren't the feverish demands to boycott Catholic churches and the such until a more pro-American pope came to power like the boycott (albeit a very unsuccessful one since imports from France have gone up since the start of the Iraq war) of France?

Now's as good of time as any to release the pairings for Soxtalk's greatest Admin/SuperMod. The winner of the matchup between LCR and Capn12 will face Spiff as the twelve seed. I seeded myself lowest of the admins to prevent favortism and all admins were aherad of global mods, with the original big 4 seeded highest. Got some good matchups, people.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
Now's as good of time as any to release the pairings for Soxtalk's greatest Admin/SuperMod. The winner of the matchup between LCR and Capn12 will face Spiff as the twelve seed. I seeded myself lowest of the admins to prevent favortism and all admins were aherad of global mods, with the original big 4 seeded highest. Got some good matchups, people.

SS2k5 should be seeded higher than Jas, actually. ;)

And an odd aside about the Pope -- when other major world entities came out against the war, it was chic to bash the French, the Germans, etc. etc., but nobody said s*** about the Pope and the Vatican's anti-war position. Why weren't the feverish demands to boycott Catholic churches and the such until a more pro-American pope came to power like the boycott (albeit a very unsuccessful one since imports from France have gone up since the start of the Iraq war) of France?

Simple answer. This is what anyone would expect from the Pope.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 09:58 PM)

A Six seed? :chair Who the heck makes these brackets, Dicky V?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
You are most likely right.  And with America's standing in the world, it will be a long time if ever, that we see an American pope.  Good money would be bet on Italian or Latin American.  I really doubt the Catholic church is advanced enough for a black pope, so that eliminates a whole continent.

There have been Popes from Africa. Just saying.

QUOTE(mreye @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 08:03 AM)
There have been Popes from Africa. Just saying.

I know JPII was the first non-Italian pope in 455 years, so I had to say that any African popes were not from recent memory. :)