New Brackets

LowerCaseRepublican

Black

There were three African Popes who came from a region of North Africa where the people were predominately Negro and are still Negroid today. Although there are no authentic portraits of these popes, there are drawings and references in the Catholic Encyclopedia as to their being of African background. The names of the three African Popes are: Victor (189-203 A.D.), Gelasius (492-496 A.D.), and Melchiades or Miltiades (311-314 A.D.). All are saints.

Pope St. Victor

African by birth. He condemned and excommunicated Theodore of Byzantium who denied the divinity of Jesus Christ. In a council held in Rome in 196, he fixed the Feast of Easter for the Sunday after the 14th day of the moon of March. He suffered martyrdom under Servus. He was the Church's 14th Pope.

Pope St. Gelasius

St. Gelasius was born in Africa and reigned as Pope from 492 to 496. He decreed the Canon of Scripture with which the Tridentine Canon agrees. His theory on the relations between the Church and the state are explained in the Gelasian Letter to the Byzantine Emperor Anastasius. Gelasius was active in rooting out the last vestiges of paganism in Rome.

Pope St. Miltiades or Pope St. Melchiades

St. Miltiades was one of the Church's Black Popes. He was born in Africa, but died in Rome in January, 314. Little is known of Miltiades except that during his reign as pope, the Emperor Constant decreed toleration for Christianity. The classical era of persecution came to an end and the Church had to meet more subtle trails. St. Augustine praised St. Miltiades as a man of moderation and peace. His feast day is December 10th.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
This would be crazy to do. We may have to run a contest....

I suppose we could set up an NIT for you whiners.....um....forum mods...

A popularity contest for the title of Mr./Ms. Soxtalk? I was never popular in high school so I don't like my chances. :crying

Betting on the next pope, latest odds...

Punters Bet on Old, European, Conservative Pope

By Paul Hoskins

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Gamblers are betting on two elderly cardinals from France and Germany to be the next pope, according to Irish bookmaker Paddy Power.

Odds on Germany's Joseph Ratzinger, who prior to Pope John Paul's death was the number four choice, have shortened to 4-1 and France's Jean-Marie Lustiger has come from nowhere to join him at the top of the list.

"Lustiger was at 20-1 two weeks ago but they've started betting for him in just the last three or four days," a spokesman at Paddy Power said.

He said a bet of 1,500 euros ($1,931) on Lustiger at 10-1 was one of the biggest so far. To date, the company has taken 7,000 bets worth a total of 150,000 euros on the next pontiff.

Lustiger, like Ratzinger a favorite of the late pope and sharing his conservative views, is the Archbishop Emeritus of Paris and the only Jewish born Catholic prelate of modern times.

A flurry of bets on Thursday helped boost Ratzinger, who turns 78 this week, after Italian media reported he had initial support of 40 to 50 cardinals and a church official told Reuters on Wednesday that support for him looked strong.

POLITICAL MANEUVERING

The conclave to elect a pope, where early favorites often lose out in later rounds, begins on Monday with a two-thirds majority -- 77 out if 115 voting cardinals -- needed to win.

Feedback on Paddy Power's Web Site showed those having a flutter expect the next pope to be older, ensuring a shorter papacy that could allow a current cardinal to succeed him.

"People think there's a bit of political maneuvering going on among some cardinals in order to give themselves a fighting chance next time round," the Paddy Power spokesman said.

Cardinal Carlo Maria Martini, 78, is the ailing former archbishop of Milan who is said to be winning symbolic support from moderates. He is the third choice at 9-2 followed by the Brazilian archbishop of Sao Paulo, Cardinal Claudio Hummes, 70.

Among the relative youngsters to lose ground, Martini's successor as archbishop of Milan, Cardinal Dionigi Tettamanzi, 71, has sunk from poll position on April 3 to number six while Nigeria's Cardinal France Arinze, 72, dropped from two to five.

Honduran Cardinal Oscar Andres Rodriguez Maradiaga, at 62 one of the youngest men voting for the pope, has also fallen from grace among punters slipping from third to eighth at 14-1.

That puts him level with the relatively unknown Chilean archbishop of Santiago, Cardinal Francisco Javier Errazuriz Ossa, 71, whose odds shortened from 50-1 after a good few bets.

($1=.7767 Euro)

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
You know what?  That really figures.  As anti-American as Europe seems to be these days, having a French or German pope would be right up their alley.  Hell, I'd almost bet on it.

Europe doesn't have enough cardinals, iirc, to vote in a pope without others going in with them.

And I can assure the next pope can do much more to harm 3rd world countries (no birth control) than Americans....

Plus, with the recent scandals of sex abuse I don't think an American pope would be seemly or fitting (actually, since Law has been celebrating masses and active lately my respect for the whole institution has gone waaaaaaaaaay down).

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
Europe doesn't have enough cardinals, iirc, to vote in a pope without others going in with them.

And I can assure the next pope can do much more to harm 3rd world countries (no birth control) than Americans....

Plus, with the recent scandals of sex abuse I don't think an American pope would be seemly or fitting (actually, since Law has been celebrating masses and active lately my respect for the whole institution has gone waaaaaaaaaay down).

Oh, I agree. There won't be an American pope. No way. Perhaps I'm not giving the Catholic Church enough credit. Surely they won't let current politics affect their decision. :rolly

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
Oh, I agree.  There won't be an American pope.  No way.  Perhaps I'm not giving the Catholic Church enough credit.  Surely they won't let current politics affect their decision.  :rolly

Well, they haven't so far. AIDS leaving millions orphaned, dead, etc in Africa and still saying no to condoms (and saying that they don't stop sti's).....

Believe me, Yas, you are not alone in not giving much credit to the Church....

Can anybody provide a link to Super Religious Guy ranks? I'm a little lost on what is higher on the Catholic Totem Pole. I know that Pope is the highest (unless you count Saint and God, then I think we know the Power order there), but what is the rank down? How does one go from being a Priest to a...whatever?

I am also amazed. I had no idea Popes went back as long ago as they do! I guess it makes sense, but ya know, to actually read the little bit of history on those Popes from WAY back in the year 126 or so...that is crazy. Is there a Pope site that tells you the history of Popes and lists them all? Maybe www.pope.com or something?

Thanks!

OH!!! And where the heck do Monks fit in, and what is their purpose...besides making GREAT beer?

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Can anybody provide a link to Super Religious Guy ranks? I'm a little lost on what is higher on the Catholic Totem Pole. I know that Pope is the highest (unless you count Saint and God, then I think we know the Power order there), but what is the rank down? How does one go from being a Priest to a...whatever?

I am also amazed. I had no idea Popes went back as long ago as they do! I guess it makes sense, but ya know, to actually read the little bit of history on those Popes from WAY back in the year 126 or so...that is crazy. Is there a Pope site that tells you the history of Popes and lists them all? Maybe www.pope.com or something?

Thanks!

OH!!! And where the heck do Monks fit in, and what is their purpose...besides making GREAT beer?

First, you and I both know that monks don't need any other purpose than making great beer. :drink

Seriously, monastic orders from all denominations have more strictures on them than other holy orders, including cloistersed life, living off of your own hard work in God's name, etc. Not all monastaries require a vow of silence, but several of the Trappist brewing monastaries including Chimay do. Brother Theodore and his hand-selected brewery monks are the only ones that don't take the vow, because they must interact with the outside world to sell their beer.

As for a pope site, here's my favorite - although it only focuses on the bad popes of history. Damn, if there haven't been a bunch of them, too. Informative reading.

http://www.geocities.com/paulntobin/papacy.html

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
First, you and I both know that monks don't need any other purpose than making great beer.  :drink

http://www.geocities.com/paulntobin/papacy.html

LOL!!! Yeah, tomorrow night I believe I might be partaking in some holy liquid. :D

I have a monastery just down the road from me, and the Monks all dress like they fell out of The Matrix with long black coats. I think if I was to become a Monk, I would either get into the brewing chapter, or the ones that dress cool.

Thanks for the link! I will be checking it out. Bad Popes...could be a cool band name... :)

Edited by Kid Gleason

Interesting that they place a certain Pope we have all been talking about ALOT as of late in with the "Bad Popes", when so many people in the world are talking about him going down as a Saint and being one of the greatest human figures (next to Jayne Mansfield...heh) of our times. I guess it depends on which side of the Catholic religion you stand, and on which side of the ideals you walk. Much like how some people call ol' Ronnie one of the best Presidents ever.

I scrolled down that website for a quick look and of course looked at the Anti-Popes. I remember that vaguely from World Civ. freshman year. :lol: Anyway, there were 2 Popes from 1378-1414 (aka Great Schism) and this gem caught my eye "Pope Urban had six cardinals tortured for daring to plot against him". Wow, and you wonder why the Church has lost popularity through the many years it has been around. :headshake