Pictures of JP Deuce in Procession/Funeral

LowerCaseRepublican

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4415947.stm

They have come to pay their final respects, so is taking a mobile phone picture of the Pope's body disrespectful or just a sign of how times changed during his 26-year papacy?

To some it is distasteful, inappropriate and plain disrespectful. To others it is recording an historic moment to share with those who cannot be there.

--

Its an interesting debate -- and learned something new (Pius XII deathbed photos were sold by his doctor in 1958) Thoughts?

On monday morning when i was waiting around to go to the sox game i was watchin that procession and outside people were holdin up video cameras and stuff and recording and i thought it was disrespecttful. It like taking pictures at a wake, i dont like it but whatever.

The Catholic Church paraded him out in front of everybody and every television camera and professional photographer had their lenses focus on the Pope's corpse. Why average people taking pictures is controversial and media organizations doing so is not is beyond me.

I don't think it's disrespectful. If people that are there, using video cameras is disrepectful, then am I the same because I popped a tape into the VCR last night and recorded the funeral?

BTW, LCR, I like your usage of "an" with "historic." Nobody does that anymore.

I'd say it's disrespectful if you ask one of the Bishops or somebody to get a picture of you and the family WITH the Pope.

"Oh great...Bob's got pictures of his trip to Rome...oh...is that you and Judy with John Paul??? Oh, that's a nice picture, you don't get opportunities like that everyday now then, do you?"

QUOTE(mreye @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 07:57 AM)
I don't think it's disrespectful. If people that are there, using video cameras is disrepectful, then am I the same because I popped a tape into the VCR last night and recorded the funeral?

BTW, LCR, I like your usage of "an" with "historic." Nobody does that anymore.

I taped it also. I really want to see it because I have never seen anything like a Papal funeral in my lifetime. I have a curiousity of the traditions.

I woke up to watch the funeral this morning (didn't think to record it). I don't think it is disrespectful in the least. I watched the procession in from work and clicked print screen (and created jpgs from it) several times. I want something to show my kids about what happens after a Pope dies. Also to show them how much Pope John Paul II was loved.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
I taped it also.  I really want to see it because I have never seen anything like a Papal funeral in my lifetime.  I have a curiousity of the traditions.

I got up and watched it.. it was amazing. Even in Latin it was clearly understood.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)
I'd say it's disrespectful if you ask one of the Bishops or somebody to get a picture of you and the family WITH the Pope.

"Oh great...Bob's got pictures of his trip to Rome...oh...is that you and Judy with John Paul??? Oh, that's a nice picture, you don't get opportunities like that everyday now then, do you?"

:lolhitting :ph34r: