How's the water?

mreye

Many people think April is meaningless, but I disagree. I think the first few games of the season set the tone for the rest of the season. It'll be interesting to see how to respond after a game like yesterday.

Side note: After 3 games last year, we were 1-2, right now we are 2-1.

To be honest I saw so many positives out of yesterdays loss that I can't be too irked. The club is 2-1 and the offense looked solid. I really think this club is going to have a better offense then most say and a superior bullpen to pretty much anyone in baseball (say for a few games here and there, but thats part of baseball).

It stinks to lose a game where for 8 innings this club played quite well. But Contreras pitched fantastic, the offense looked solid (although they did fail a few times with runners on, but the team also executed and seemed to do the little things). You had Hermy look awesome. From what I've seen Cotts is throwing strikes. Marte I'm still curious about to see if he could get back to his form of 2 and 3 years ago.

Bottom line, Shingo got roughed up. He lived with the fastball too much, but thats not what really got him, he didn't have command. Last year Shingo didn't have command early on as well, so maybe its a trend with him.

I know one thing, when Shingo is throwing strikes and has command (usually he does) he's hella tough to hit. And if Shingo fails as closer, thats why the Sox have Hermy. Hermy can come in and close if necessary and with the way he's looking I'd have zero worries about that.

The Sox would still have Viz, Marte, Shingo, Cotts, and Politte behind those two as well.

The other thing that bugs me about the game is, that now El Duque is going to need to pitch deeper (or at least I'd like him to) because Ozzie out did himself with the pen (what an awful job in terms of using 3 pitchers in the same inning....I'm just not a fan of it, never have been really).

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 08:36 AM)
Many people think April is meaningless, but I disagree. I think the first few games of the season set the tone for the rest of the season. It'll be interesting to see how to respond after a game like yesterday.

Side note: After 3 games last year, we were 1-2, right now we are 2-1.

Remember though, a lot of teams have struggled early and went on to have fantastic clubs. The year the Angels won the series they were absolutely brutal the first month. Most of those Oakland clubs the past few years would start off slow and then get on this huge runs late in the season. Minnesota has done the same the past couple years if I recall (getting to the break around .500 and then just pulling away after that).

Were 2-1, over .500 and frankly I can't complain. If Contreras pitches even close to the way he did today and Freddy and Mark are themselves I'd already be feeling light years better about this team. I'm already confident in JG to give the club 14 wins or so and a 4.6 ERA out of the 5 spot. Now its time to see what El Duque can do.

Unfortunately the freaking game is on CIU and for whatever reason Xtra innings isn't picking up the Twins feed.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 11:13 AM)
To be honest I saw so many positives out of yesterdays loss that I can't be too irked.  The club is 2-1 and the offense looked solid. I really think this club is going to have a better offense then most say and a superior bullpen to pretty much anyone in baseball (say for a few games here and there, but thats part of baseball).

Agreed...But to a degree. Those positives will only stay positives if the team can learn to not make these mistakes early. I think this happened at the best time of the season, instead of in the middle of a pennant race down the home stretch. If the Sox can keep this past game in the back of their memories, they can maybe score another run or two in the later innnigs (as they should've done in the 8th) so that, even if Shingo loses control, they'll have enough runs to offset it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
Remember though, a lot of teams have struggled early and went on to have fantastic clubs. The year the Angels won the series they were absolutely brutal the first month.  Most of those Oakland clubs the past few years would start off slow and then get on this huge runs late in the season.  Minnesota has done the same the past couple years if I recall (getting to the break around .500 and then just pulling away after that). 

Were 2-1, over .500 and frankly I can't complain.  If Contreras pitches even close to the way he did today and Freddy and Mark are themselves I'd already be feeling light years better about this team.  I'm already confident in JG to give the club 14 wins or so and a 4.6 ERA out of the 5 spot.  Now its time to see what El Duque can do.

Unfortunately the freaking game is on CIU and for whatever reason Xtra innings isn't picking up the Twins feed.

Yes I see what you're saying. I just think that for this club, having a good April and May is the key to our success. I'm just afraid of our traditional slump where we go 2-8. We can't have that this year. I think if we get off to a hot start, it's less likely for that to happen.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 12:24 PM)
Yes I see what you're saying. I just think that for this club, having a good April and May is the key to our success. I'm just afraid of our traditional slump where we go 2-8. We can't have that this year. I think if we get off to a hot start, it's less likely for that to happen.

With our starting rotation, that is less likely to happen.