NO MORE COOKIES???

Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
Now I will have nightmares. That dang show STILL creeps me out, especially that dang hippo with the hanky.

Ewww.

That show was awful. Remember those weird GED programs on at like 11:30 am too? I used to watch that or Emergency before going to Kindergarten.

QUOTE(winodj @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
Ewww.

That show was awful. Remember those weird GED programs on at like 11:30 am too? I used to watch that or Emergency before going to Kindergarten.

Emergency. I am still awaiting the Series DVD for THAT one! I will be the first in line for that release. Dixie...oh Dixie...

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
I'm in my 40's now, and I'm not qualified for "AlcoholicA" either anymore, but I still like metal, so why don't they!!!  :D

I'm sure their old stuff still sounds good live, but I'm not interested in hearing anything after "...And Justice For All". It's just not the same band, and I don't like what they've become. If others do, that's cool, but to my ears it's just hideous.

I'm a loooooooong-time fan, but I also gave up on them over a decade ago. I've seen them in concert many times, the first being at Metro ( then called Cabaret Metro ) in I believe it was 1983 ( may have been 84? Raven was with them, I think it was 83....MAN, did I like Raven.... :headbang  ) and the last time being in 93 or 94 at the Allstate Arena ( then called the Rosemont Horizon ). I heard all I needed to hear of the Black Album at that show, and I didn't like it one bit.

I'd say the best show I saw them put on was with Queensryche at the UIC Pavilion ( then called the UIC Pavilion ) in 1989. THAT was a great show!

That movie Some Kind Of Monster is some of the funniest s*** you will EVER see! It's not intended to be funny, but it is. It's on VH1 this Saturday at 9pm.

You certainly were off the bandwagon early.  I've always been a big fan and always will be.  As time goes on, most bands aren't able to maintain that same sound.  THere are exceptions, but not too many.  They certainly have produced some of the best music in the metal genre.  No doubt about it.

Anyway, Metal Up Your Ass!

Edited by tonyho7476

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Isn't Metallica the band that lost to Jethro Tull for a Hard Rock / Metal Grammy? You know, the guys with the heavy metal flute, as compared to a light metal flute  :D

just asking  :ph34r:

That's obviously ridiculous...since Tull is not 'metal'...

How much Jethro Tull have you heard? If you don't knock them into the "Progressive Rock" category that they do occupy, and you look at it in the ways of much of the world (and have never heard of Prog Rock), there is no other category for Tull than Metal. Plus, much Prog falls in the Metal world and most Metalheads have a few Prog bands that they enjoy. Check out Anglagard for one.

Edit!!!!!!!!!!

Also, at the time of this happening, Metal was a MUCH different critter than it is now. Death Metal had yet to really show up outside of Napalm Death, Celtic Frost, and Slayer, and none of those really are what we now see as Death Metal. There was very little EXTREME Metal, and what there was was more of Crossover stuff from the NY Hardcore scene, and it was not recognized by the media. Frustrating thing some of us was all the "originality" being praised about with bands such as Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth and others, when in reality there were many bands such as Agnostic Front and The Cro-Mags blazing those trails first in the NY underground.

Ahem...sorry.

But yeah, in 1988, Tull was surely a "Metal" band in the eyes of much of society.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 07:28 PM)
How much Jethro Tull have you heard? If you don't knock them into the "Progressive Rock" category that they do occupy, and you look at it in the ways of much of the world (and have never heard of Prog Rock), there is no other category for Tull than Metal. Plus, much Prog falls in the Metal world and most Metalheads have a few Prog bands that they enjoy. Check out Anglagard for one.

I love Tull. I saw Ian Anderson and them at Ravinia a few years ago real cheap and it was awesome. He still puts on a great show and is a crazy guy. I'd like to see them at a better venue though.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)

Edit!!!!!!!!!!

Also, at the time of this happening, Metal was a MUCH different critter than it is now. Death Metal had yet to really show up outside of Napalm Death, Celtic Frost, and Slayer, and none of those really are what we now see as Death Metal. There was very little EXTREME Metal, and what there was was more of Crossover stuff from the NY Hardcore scene, and it was not recognized by the media. Frustrating thing some of us was all the "originality" being praised about with bands such as Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth and others, when in reality there were many bands such as Agnostic Front and The Cro-Mags blazing those trails first in the NY underground.

Ahem...sorry.

But yeah, in 1988, Tull was surely a "Metal" band in the eyes of much of society.

Jethro Tull is not metal...flutes automatically exclude them.

HEY YOU GUYS!

We're gonna turn it on.

We're gonna bring you the power

We're gonna light up the dark of night like the brightest day in a whole new way

We're gonna turn it on we're gonna bring you the power

It's coming down the lines, strong as they can be

Through the courtesy of The Electric Company

The Electric Company.

The Electric Company!

Boy: Woof! You sure gotta climb a lot of steps to get to this Capitol Building here in Washington. But I wonder who that sad little scrap of paper is?

I'm just a bill.

Yes, I'm only a bill.

And I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill.

Well, it's a long, long journey

To the capital city.

It's a long, long wait

While I'm sitting in committee,

But I know I'll be a law someday

At least I hope and pray that I will,

But today I am still just a bill.

I'm just a bill

Yes I'm only a bill,

And I got as far as Capitol Hill.

Well, now I'm stuck in committee

And I'll sit here and wait

While a few key Congressmen discuss and debate

Whether they should let me be a law.

How I hope and pray that they will,

I'm just a bill

Yes, I'm only a bill

And if they vote for me on Capitol Hill

Well, then I'm off to the White House

Where I'll wait in a line

With a lot of other bills

For the president to sign

And if he signs me, then I'll be a law.

How I hope and pray that he will,

But how I hope and I pray that I will,

Congressman: He signed you, Bill! Now you're a law!

Bill: Oh yes!!!

OK, now I'm mad. You DON'T have a conversation about Jethro Tull around here without me, got it? Good. :P

Ian was as surprised as anyone that 'Crest of a Knave' was nominated in the Metal category (let alone that it was nominated in 1989, more than a year after it's 1987 debut). The album is on the heavy side compared to the followup 'Rock Island' or the way more folksy/bluesey 'Catfish Rising' after that. But Brit progressive rock is as good a label to put on a very hard to categorize group.

That said, the Metal moniler is historically not far off the mark when you listen to the first couple of albums with Martin Barre on guitar and swaer it could be Tony Iomi at times. Consider also that Iomi was actually in teh runniung to replace Mick Abrahams as Tull guitarist before Martin got the gig, and it's fairly clear they were at least skirting the heavy metal world almost since the beginning - the debut album 'This Was...' excluded as Abrahams/Anderson were very rooted in white Brit blues cum folk-jazz on that one.

As for Metallica being a shade of their former selves after 'And Justice For All,' I would agree.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)
Yeah. I have to thank The Critic for this one. I started the dang thread and then he hijacks it into being a Metallica discussion. He knows I hate Metallica, and that is what really hurts about this.

Ahhhh, you're resilient, you'll get over it.....

:D

:P

:lol:

Old Metallica = :snr :headbang :headbang :notworthy

Recent Metallica = :sleep :puke :headshake :nono