What is wrong with Joe Crede?

BridgeportHeather

It looks like Crede will fight the Mendoza Line this season long, and I don't know what's inside him right now. He seems super tense at the plate and can't shake it to become more relaxed. That's not good when you're trying to make contact. They say he worked extra hours in the batting cages in spring training, but that is far from apparent, and, sadly, I don't see him improving anytime soon. :(

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
Bold prediction:  Crede will be benched at some point during the season for Pablo Ozuna.  Crede will be playing for a different team next season.

At this rate, I don't see him even playing for a differen team next season. He has yet to have a season that has remotely impressed me...

At this rate, I don't see him even playing for a differen team next season.  He has yet to have a season that has remotely impressed me...

Crede would get a job with another team just because of his glove and pop in his bat but the drafting of Josh Fields obviously shows what kind of faith the Sox have in him. It's quite obvious that Joe is the weakest link.

Edited by Jabroni

Is there another Sox player under more pressure to perform than Mr. Joe Crede? He was suppose to be our rock at 3rd for a generation. Kids were going to grow up not knowing any other 3rd baseman. Then he stepped onto the major league field and was given a full season to perform. Then another, and another.

Now he's tinkering, second guessing at the plate, probably cannot find his old groove, and when he does, he cannot trust it. He cannot give himself to that feeling and just perform. No one has the ability to think and hit a curve ball.

I think, therefor, I'm a AAAA player with MLB talent.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 11:43 AM)
We've only played 3 games.  He's batting for a higher average than Rowand.  You can't tell much yet.

True, but we can also look at his previous two years' stats and conclude that he's probably not going to suddenly morph into a .300 hitter this season.

This is Crede's make-or-break year. He needs to step up and show us all something very soon.

Is there another Sox player under more pressure to perform than Mr. Joe Crede? He was suppose to be our rock at 3rd for a generation. Kids were going to grow up not knowing any other 3rd baseman. Then he stepped onto the major league field and was given a full season to perform. Then another, and another.

Now he's tinkering, second guessing at the plate, probably cannot find his old groove, and when he does, he cannot trust it. He cannot give himself to that feeling and just perform. No one has the ability to think and hit a curve ball.

Robin Ventura has alot to do with the high expectations for Crede but Joe hasn't even come close to being half the player that Robin was.

crede is gone after this season.  There is no doubt in my mind.  His production, his agent, and his successor are all going to contribute to this fact.  HE GONE

Another reason why Crede will be gone after this season. Uncle Jerry and Kenny seem to want to weed out all the Borass clients.

QUOTE(BridgeportHeather @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
The thing is, Rowand's actually produced for this team...Crede really hasn't!

But you said it looks like Crede will fight the Mendoza line all season long. Let's wait at least a month or two before making an accusation like that.

But you said it looks like Crede will fight the Mendoza line all season long.  Let's wait at least a month or two before making an accusation like that.

Okay, maybe the Mendoza line comment was overexaggerated. Hitting only .239 with a .299 OBP is still unacceptable. I'd rather see Ozuna at 3rd base at that point.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)

Yeah, he doesn't have confidence in himself...so how can we.

TexSox are you going minimalist with the avatar and Sig?

Stranger things have happened than Joe Crede having a good year...  Look at the first 5 years of Beltre's career in the majors, what about them said 48 hrs and 121 rbi?  Nothing.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/beltrad01.shtml

After watching Crede's ugly swing for a few years, do you really think he will ever have a Beltre-type turnaround?

Oh yeah, Beltre hit .290 AVG / .360 OBP / .475 SLG with 20 HR and 85 RBI in 2000. Joe has never done that.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)
Stranger things have happened than Joe Crede having a good year...  Look at the first 5 years of Beltre's career in the majors, what about them said 48 hrs and 121 rbi?  Nothing.

His average was higher than Joe's....not that there were signs that he would hit almost 50 homeruns....but your know, steroids. :bang

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)

Since when has Crede ever hit (or even danced with) .290 in his career thus far?

Lucky for him he plays third, a tough to fill position and will get a couple dozen more chances than a right fielder. I think he's a couple lucky hits in a hitting streak away from being a solid everyday mlb player. I just have a feeling if he ever got on a couple week run, he'd be ok for a long time.

Any thought that maybe he's too nice?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Lucky for him he plays third, a tough to fill position and will get a couple dozen more chances than a right fielder. I think he's a couple lucky hits in a hitting streak away from being a solid everyday mlb player. I just have a feeling if he ever got on a couple week run, he'd be ok for a long time.

He doesn't seem to have a killer instinct...he seems real passive...

No, but I do have thoughts that he's just not that good. His swing reminds me of this thought everytime I see it.

Edited by Jabroni