What is wrong with Joe Crede?

BridgeportHeather

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BridgeportHeather @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
Since when has Crede ever hit (or even danced with) .290 in his career thus far?

That was also before a very clear 3 year decline in his numbers. Also I don't think Beltre was a 2 time minor league MVP at AA and AAA. Add those two together, and I don't think it is unreasonable not to expect .334 48 HR 121 RBI from a guy who had never hit over .290 23Hr 85 RBI in ANY year, in any one category. Would anyone have ever guessed the Beltre, after being in the majors longer than Crede, would ever approach those numbers? Giving up on him right now is too soon.

It also makes no sense to bench Crede for a guy with 111 career at bats over a 5 year span because he had a hot spring. Crede might lose his job to Fields in a year or two, but isn't going to be to Ozuna right now.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)
That was also before a very clear 3 year decline in his numbers.  Also I don't think Beltre was a 2 time minor league MVP at AA and AAA.  Add those two together, and I don't think it is unreasonable not to expect .334 48 HR 121 RBI from a guy who had never hit over .290 23Hr 85 RBI in ANY year, in any one category.  Would anyone have ever guessed the Beltre, after being in the majors longer than Crede, would ever approach those numbers?  Giving up on him right now is too soon.

It also makes no sense to bench Crede for a guy with 111 career at bats over a 5 year span because he had a hot spring.  Crede might lose his job to Fields in a year or two, but isn't going to be to Ozuna right now.

Crede didn't even deserve one of the MVP's he got :huh

At Sox fest, that jag Ed Famer hosted the forum with the players and their wives.

Rowand said that no one sleeps more than Crede, until Farmer said that Jon Garland sleeps more. Interestingly, if I had to guess which two players would sleep the most on the team, it would have been Crede and Garland.

They just have that lazt, passive air about themselves. Whether that relates to the field is another thing, but it sure comes across that way.

It's early in the year and I hope Joe can hit .260 - .270 with a little power and solid D. I once had such high hopes for the guy. He doesn't seem to be the type that can make a minor change in his swing, let alone a major one. He definitely needs more speed and less loop in his bat. He can still crush a pitch in his particular zone of liking. In the minors he could feast on the inferior pitching. In the ML, pitchers will be more likely to find you out and exploit your shortcomings. That's the story with Joe. Still, I hope he can salvage his career. He seems like a decent guy.

Edited by Yossarian

Stranger things have happened than Joe Crede having a good year... Look at the first 5 years of Beltre's career in the majors, what about them said 48 hrs and 121 rbi? Nothing.

The thing about Beltre is over those five years he would show his potential with a great month after a slump. He also would get big hits to keep ralleys going, so The Dodgers hung in there with him because you could just feel that he was going to break through and become a great hitter. You felt as if you were watching him learn to be great. I don't get that feeling with Crede.

With the Sox current payroll, we are going to have a couple Crede's on the team. Middle to low production, middle to no pay. I think it is a good sign over all that he's our biggest concern.

If Fields can move up the ladder quickly enough, we could have a nice power-hitting 3rd baseman making nothing.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 05:43 PM)
Crede would get a job with another team just because of his glove and pop in his bat but the drafting of Josh Fields obviously shows what kind of faith the Sox have in him.  It's quite obvious that Joe is the weakest link.

Teams never draft because of a need on the major league team. They draft the best overall player.

Kenny felt Fields was the best overall player, so he drafted him -- not because of Crede.

Third Base will be a big problem next season Fields is still 2 seasons away he has a lot to do just to become succesfull at AA so hopefully Joe can have a decent season and either resign him to a one year deal for next year or sign a fill in player for next season.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
Teams never draft because of a need on the major league team.  They draft the best overall player.

Kenny felt Fields was the best overall player, so he drafted him -- not because of Crede.

Agreed. Plus we have Kenny "trade 'em all" Williams at the big league level. MLB draft picks are like buying lottery tickets. Just buy a lot of them and hope someone pans out.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 06:36 PM)
Agreed. Plus we have Kenny "trade 'em all" Williams at the big league level. MLB draft picks are like buying lottery tickets. Just buy a lot of them and hope someone pans out.

Yes, it's silly to think that they drafted Fields just because Crede sucked. I think Baseball America or Prospectus rated him as the best power hitter in the draft, and when you have a chance to grab him at #15 -- the best power potential in the draft -- you do it.

I also agree with SS2k, Ozuna's a backup. I can't believe people are talking about putting him in there instead of Crede.

Teams never draft because of a need on the major league team.  They draft the best overall player.

That's not entirely true. Money is also a factor. The Twins drafted Joe Mauer because Mark Prior wanted a huge signing bonus.

Of all the sports baseball is the hardest to draft and the one that looks at their big league roster the least.

Basketball the player has to fit and probably will play now.

Football, need comes into play, the top players drafted will probably be playing in a season or two.

Hockey we can talk about when it becomes a sport, not a negotiation.

I would not be surprised if the CWS & LAD don't swing a trade soon.

Nakamura for Crede. Naka is not happy w LAD decisions & the WSox were

interested in him this off-season. Likewise the LAD have always been interested in Crede.

If you need another example of why maybe we should believe in a player's stuff more than there numbers look no further than J Weaver. He just had a great 6-0 start vs SFG. If Weaver can do it so to can Contreras & maybe even Crede. Tap into that great talent & show it on the field.

I would not be surprised if the CWS & LAD don't swing a trade soon.

Nakamura for Crede.  Naka is not happy w LAD decisions & the WSox were

interested in him this off-season.  Likewise the LAD have always been interested in Crede.

The Dodgers would have to throw in a prospect but if Nakamura's defense was any good, I would probably make that deal.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 06:29 PM)

well sometimes teams draft RP's for need because if your a RP.... example Chad Cordero for the nationals.... but your right about position players and SP's.