And that's a White Sox winner!!!

greasywheels121

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
If he's healthy, there's no doubt in my mind he's an awesome number three...

No fricken doubt the only worry with el duque is his health, if he's out there he's going to be a damn good pitcher. Man, just awesome baseball tonight, I love watching a game like that. Great pitching, got the 2 bombs, manufactured a run with scott's steal and carl's hit, absolutely beautiful game.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

He's the enemy: When A.J. Pierzynski started at catcher for Minnesota from 2001 to 2003, teammates Doug Mientkiewicz and Torii Hunter used to joke that Pierzynski would one day end up playing for the White Sox. It seemed like a strange prophecy at the time, with the South Siders serving as the Twins' main rival.

But there was Pierzynski, receiving more cheers than he did jeers from the sold out crowd at the Metrodome, when he was announced as the White Sox starting catcher during pregame introductions.

"It came true," said Pierzynski of the long-ago prediction that he would end up with the White Sox, as he talked to a group of Minnesota media before Friday's home opener for the Twins. "It was a little weird when I first got here and walked into SoxFest and saw all the White Sox stuff.

"For so many years, I was taught to not like those [White Sox] colors. But I'm used to it, and it's a good fit. I think I look good in black."

Pierzynski was traded to the San Francisco Giants following the 2003 season, making room for Minor League catching phenom Joe Mauer, who was in the Minnesota starting lineup Friday. He signed with the White Sox as a free agent during the past offseason.

On Friday afternoon, Pierzynski took a ride to where he used to live in Minnesota and stopped at one of his favorite restaurants. But as Pierzynski said Thursday in Chicago, he didn't expect his return engagement to be especially emotional.

"It's one of those things that's inevitable," Pierzynski said. "I have a lot of friends over there. I was talking to them before. I said, 'Hey, good luck. May the best team win, and after that, let's go have a beer.'"

:headbang

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 11:48 PM)
Guillen did today what he should have done yesterday:  let hermanson pitch the 9th.

I disagree about that but it's time to move on anyways. I will say I hope the next time their is a save opportunity that Ozzie doesn't even hesitate and goes right to shingo to let shingo know that ozzie has confidence in him

I agree. It's past time to move on. I was listening to the Score on the way into work and someone called in complaining about Ozzie using 3 pitchers in that inning. This was AFTER we had won tonights game. :headshake

It was great to see Konerko solve Lohse. Unfortunately, Murphy's Law's being draped all over Joe Crede. I really do feel for the poor soul.

At times, Duque flat-out dominated this game. He's a big-game kind of pitcher, due to his experience with the Yankees, and can realy help the rest of this pitching rotation with said experience.

Me likey! Wins are yummie!!!

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 11:58 PM)
That make 4 quality starts in for 4 games.  As far as starting pitching goes, so far so good.

:cheers

Here's hoping Garland can get out there tomorrow and guy out another strong outing.

If he's not ready though I do like the idea of switching him and Burhle.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
That make 4 quality starts in for 4 games.  As far as starting pitching goes, so far so good.

That's really going to be the difference in determining whether the Sox are on the golf course in October or actually playing baseball still.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 12:27 AM)
That's really going to be the difference in determining whether the Sox are on the golf course in October or actually playing baseball still.

Or in Jermaine's case, hunting bucks :lol:

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 10:54 PM)
Ok so we now know that Duque and Contreras can produce.  That;s a really good sign and should go a little ways toward calming our concerns about em.

Honestly, we don't know s*** about Contreras yet, except that he is Cuban, he has nasty stuff, and he pitches for the Sox.

I still envision him to be inconsistent as hell...but if he can turn it around, that would be sweet.

Great win though anyways...I love it. Get to Radke early tomorrow, and hope Jon can hold down the fort. :gosox1:

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 01:27 AM)

I like our chances. health over the season will play a big role. But the starting staff is solid, top to bottom, and the bullpen is strong which should keep the starters from wearing down at the end of the year. Theoretically, this pitching staff is set up for the long haul (the season) and the short haul (playoffs).

"So much for Ozzie [Guillen's] speed ball," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said of his Chicago counterpart. "They're hitting home runs already on us."

Is it just me or are we still heavily reliant on the HR. I know Hawk and DJ keep talking about small ball non-stop but we have 3 wins and 2 of them were because of HR's...(and pitching but talking hitting wise).

Idonno I like Pods stolen bases and no one seems to be really swinging for the fences with the exception of Dye's HR but he hit it so cant complain. Just wanted to say we still seem like a HR reliant team to me.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 01:45 AM)
"So much for Ozzie [Guillen's] speed ball," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said of his Chicago counterpart. "They're hitting home runs already on us."

Is it just me or are we still heavily reliant on the HR.  I know Hawk and DJ keep talking about small ball non-stop but we have 3 wins and 2 of them were because of HR's...(and pitching but talking hitting wise).

Idonno I like Pods stolen bases and no one seems to be really swinging for the fences with the exception of Dye's HR but he hit it so cant complain.  Just wanted to say we still seem like a HR reliant team to me.

Why does everyone think we ever planned on abandoning HR's? We have 6 guys that can hit 20+ HR's. What we did was add pieces that are capable of manufacturing runs in Pods and Iguchi, worked with some of our holdovers in ST on that aspect of the game and increasing our depth of quality pitching. The ability to play small ball is an asset, but that doesn't mean we aren't going to have adaquate power.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 06:51 AM)
Why does everyone think we ever planned on abandoning HR's?  We have 6 guys that can hit 20+ HR's. What we did was add pieces that are capable of manufacturing runs in Pods and Iguchi, worked with some of our holdovers in ST on that aspect of the game and increasing our depth of quality pitching.  The ability to play small ball is an asset, but that doesn't mean we aren't going to have adaquate power.

Did i say that we couldnt hit the HR... im just saying this team wasnt supposed to rely on the HR like last year and so far it has with 2 wins coming from HR's and the 3rd we only scored 1 run so...

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 12:45 AM)

Is it just me or are we still heavily reliant on the HR.  I know Hawk and DJ keep talking about small ball non-stop but we have 3 wins and 2 of them were because of HR's...(and pitching but talking hitting wise).

Idonno I like Pods stolen bases and no one seems to be really swinging for the fences with the exception of Dye's HR but he hit it so cant complain.  Just wanted to say we still seem like a HR reliant team to me.

We don't have to rely on the homerun though. Some games we're going to win games with it and when we dont we have the pieces to win games by playing small ball and that's how ozzie and kenny wanted this team built. It's a balanced offense so they can beat you in different ways.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
Did i say that we couldnt hit the HR... im just saying this team wasnt supposed to rely on the HR like last year and so far it has with 2 wins coming from HR's and the 3rd we only scored 1 run so...

I'm sorry. I wasn't tergeting you, per se. It's just the whole small ball thing. Ww aren't going back to the '59 Sox type of game. We've been focused all offseason on adding the ability to manufacture runs, which KW has apparently done. But it's so much more than that. It's pitching and defense as much as speed and contact. Perhaps even more so. Look at Jermaine Dye. He's a very solid defensive right fielder. He's also a smart baseball player. He's not the type that will carry a team, but his all around ability to play the game, and not just "Thump" will certainly help carry the load. That's what this is about, more than small ball, is getting baseball players that know how to play the game of baseball in all facets.