Razor Shines on his players at AA

beck72

http://www.al.com/barons/birminghamnews/in...65333176060.xml

New-look team high on potential

Thursday, April 07, 2005

DOUG SEGREST

News staff writer

Razor Shines looks down the 2005 Birmingham Barons roster and sees it loaded with prospects.

Abundant prospects mean great potential. But in the world of the Southern League, potential doesn't always equal good results.

"We're young," Shines said. "We'll have seven people on the field who've never played higher than Single-A. But I tell you what, opposing teams better tighten their cleats when they play us."

The 47-year-old Shines returns for his second season with the Double-A Barons. Last year, the Texan led the club to a 73-66 record, the second-half Western Division title and a team-best fifth straight postseason.

That came after boldly predicting the Barons would be a cinch to return to the playoffs.

The new-look Barons open the season tonight in Jacksonville against the Suns, a Los Angeles Dodgers farm team. The first pitch is set for 6:05 p.m. CDT.

While Shines avoids any hype for his team, he's quick to praise his personnel. What the Barons lack in Double-A experience, they make up for in promise:

Pitcher Jim Bullard - "He's going to get the ball opening night," Shines said. "He could've easily been our best pitcher last year." Bullard went 8-4 as a part-time starter last year.

"Truth is, he should be in (Triple-A) Charlotte," Shines said of Bullard.

Pitcher Kris Honel - The right-hander pitched only six innings before shutting down the 2004 season with arm trouble. Now, "he's good as it gets," Shines said.

Pitcher Corwin Malone - The former UAB football signee and Thomasville native hasn't pitched in two years and is coming back from Tommy John surgery. "I'm telling you right now, this guy is back - and he's the real deal," the manager said.

Pitcher Sean Tracey - "This guy is explosive. He gets the baseball in his hand and fears no one."

Third baseman Josh Fields -The former Oklahoma State quarterback was Chicago's first-round pick last summer. "He's single and he's got a lot of money. He's an outstanding baseball talent, as well. He has the chance to be really good," Shines said.

First baseman Casey Rogowski - "I'm going to put the pressure on him right now. He's going to carry the load offensively. He's going to have the kind of year you haven't seen here in a long time."

Outfielder Jerry Owens - The speedster stole 30 bases in Savannah last year. "They say two-thirds of the world is covered by water. Jerry Owens covers the other third."

Outfielder Ryan Sweeney - "A lot of people believe he has what it takes to be a Major League superstar," Shines said.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 05:20 AM)
http://www.al.com/barons/birminghamnews/in...65333176060.xml

Pitcher Kris Honel - The right-hander pitched only six innings before shutting down the 2004 season with arm trouble. Now, "he's good as it gets," Shines said.

Funny he should use a quote that resembles of one of the most overrated movies of the last 10 years.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
Lol Gene.  On a sidenote, Razor is quite the guy.  Definately keeps his players loose.

Razor is a great manager and never says anything bad about his players that was why last year when we had inferior talent we still won 73 games and the 2nd half title. Good guy

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)
Lol Gene.  On a sidenote, Razor is quite the guy.  Definately keeps his players loose.

Not so Jason. Razor was as hard lined as I have seen in a Minor League manager last year. The players knew what to expect and if they strayed he let them know it. When he said jump, they said how high. His players played hard on him, but he was for more strict in terms of rules/discipline than most other minor league managers. At times last year, he seemed to have them wound pretty tight. especially early in the year.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Razor Shines @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 06:20 AM)
Pitcher Jim Bullard - "He's going to get the ball opening night," Shines said. "He could've easily been our best pitcher last year." Bullard went 8-4 as a part-time starter last year.

"Truth is, he should be in (Triple-A) Charlotte," Shines said of Bullard.

Even though he posts here, I would have to agree. Bullard has been in AA too long.

QUOTE(knightni @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 01:41 AM)
Even though he posts here, I would have to agree. Bullard has been in AA too long.

I believe sox's fault, I am not sure what they seen from Philips over Bull. Those two spots should have been switched. That is a mistake

Edited by BHAMBARONS

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 02:39 AM)
Not so Jason.  Razor was as hard lined as I have seen in a Minor League manager last year.  The players knew what to expect and if they strayed he let them know it.  When he said jump, they said how high.  His players played hard on him, but he was for more strict in terms of rules/discipline than most other minor league managers.  At times last year, he seemed to have them wound pretty tight. especially early in the year.

Are you saying this a good thing or bad thing??????

C

QUOTE(minorsfan @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 12:33 AM)
Are you saying this a good thing or bad thing??????

C

just stating a fact...... not passing any judgement at all.....

It was a different style than what I was used to seeing, but it worked, so who am I to judge?