How would you react?

Queen Prawn

This happened to Brian last night:

Say your friend was getting married in about a month (was supposed to be your wedding day, but I digress). You get a call from one of the groomsmen asking if you have gotten your tux yet.

Ok? Doesn't sound like a biggie, right? Well here is the issue. The groom (ie friend) never directly asked him. He told several friends that he wanted Brian to stand up to the wedding, but whenever Brian would call him to find out what the f was going on, he wouldn't answer the phone or return the call. So Brian gave up and said f*** it. Also, we never received an invite and last we heard they were questioning about whether to get married or not.

The sad thing is that Brian and this friend used to be best friends and the three of us would often go to the drag strip. Brian and him went to the bone yard and worked on their cars together all the time. Since he got engaged, I have seen come over to the house once and Brian went to his house a few times to help him out - they bought a house that needed work. Apparently he and his fiance were over here on a Saturday when I was out and about and since then we haven't heard from or seen him since.

Brian says if "friend" stops by and asks him to stand up he will. If he phones (which he hasn't and I have my doubts), Brian plans to say no thanks.

Oh and one other thing to give you an idea about this person - "friend" was supposed to be a best man to one of his friend's weddings and backed out the night before.

These guys are acting like girls.

Guy way of doing this.

Brian picks up the phone and calls his friend.

Hey bud, do you need me in a tux or what?

"Oh man, I'm sorry, I already got everybody, you know did most of this."

"Hey not a problem, you got a seat for us at the reception, or do I have to take QP out to dinner?"

"Of course we got a invite for you. was worried you wouldn't want to come, if you weren't in the wedding."

"You think I'd pass up a free meal and drinks, it's a cheap date, don't forget I'm getting married, you should see the %^$% tiara she just bought (roll eyes) I can't wait for this s*** to be over."*

Did you see the new Dodge . . .

*He actually is excited about the wedding and tiara, but will not show it in front of other guys. He's actually thinking Barbie Princess and GI Joe. But that's another story and y'all ain't married yet. :D

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 08:30 AM)
Like I said, Brian has tried calling at least a dozen times since January and no answer or return call.  It just pisses me off because they used to be best friends.

use to be is the key word. Any chance the friend is embarrased and expecting Brian to be pissed??

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 08:36 AM)
use to be is the key word. Any chance the friend is embarrased and expecting Brian to be pissed??

I don't think so. I can't think of why he would be. But then again, I don't think like a guy. Brian got the impression that his friend's FI doesn't like him (Brian) very much and thinks that is what is behind all this BS. I told Brian that I don't like another friend of his, but I don't stop him from being friends with him, I just choose not to hang out when he is around or if I am around I am polite and keep my mouth shut and rant later :D .

Since Brian has tried to call a bunch of times, I say he should forget about standing up at all.

If asked, he should say thanks but no thanks.

A month beforehand is not enough time, IMO.

If there's no invitation, then I wouldn't call to invite myself. To me, THAT is a girly thing to do.

You guys should go out on a nice date that night if you weren't invited.

Sounds like you're not going to have much of a relationship with his friend after they're married anyway, so why put out that much of an effort just to attend their wedding?

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 09:00 AM)
Since Brian has tried to call a bunch of times, I say he should forget about standing up at all.

If asked, he should say thanks but no thanks.

A month beforehand is not enough time, IMO.

If there's no invitation, then I wouldn't call to invite myself. To me, THAT is a girly thing to do.

You guys should go out on a nice date that night if you weren't invited.

Sounds like you're not going to have much of a relationship with his friend after they're married anyway, so why put out that much of an effort just to attend their wedding?

That's my opinion on the whole matter. I don't think Brian really wants to go at this point anyhow. Sad thing was that up until about a month or two ago, Brian had wanted to ask this friend to stand up. Not he isn't even sure he wants to invite him.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 09:22 AM)
That's my opinion on the whole matter.  I don't think Brian really wants to go at this point anyhow.  Sad thing was that up until about a month or two ago, Brian had wanted to ask this friend to stand up.  Not he isn't even sure he wants to invite him.

See it keeps spiraling. Leave a message with all the info, all the questions. Don't guess what the other person is thinking and feeling. It takes a long time to make an old friend.™

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 08:32 AM)
See it keeps spiraling. Leave a message with all the info, all the questions. Don't guess what the other person is thinking and feeling. It takes a long time to make an old friend.™

Yeah, but also true is this:

Old Friend + New Wife With An Agenda = HE GAWN!™

It sounds to me like Brian has made attempts, and for whatever reason...(coughcoughfianceecoughcough), this friend is dusting him. If the friend was a stand-up guy, he'd have already searched Brian out by now to explain what's going on. To have not even sent an invitation by now is VERY telling.

Time to file this friend away, I'm afraid.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
Yeah, but also true is this:

Old Friend + New Wife With An Agenda = HE GAWN!™

It sounds to me like Brian has made attempts, and for whatever reason...(coughcoughfianceecoughcough), this friend is dusting him. If the friend was a stand-up guy, he'd have already searched Brian out by now to explain what's going on. To have not even sent an invitation by now is VERY telling.

Time to file this friend away, I'm afraid.

good points one and all. Plus we know what a mean husse Queen is, maybe the new wife is worried that Queen just has too much magnetism for her honey.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)
good points one and all. Plus we know what a mean husse Queen is, maybe the new wife is worried that Queen just has too much magnetism for her honey.

YES, a hockey-crazed woman is a VERY strong lure.....even if she does like the Carolina Hurricanes...... :ph34r: :lol:

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
YES, a hockey-crazed woman is a VERY strong lure.....even if she does like the Carolina Hurricanes...... :ph34r:  :lol:

The new wife is figuring without a hockey season, there could be some holding, high sticking, hooking, game misconduct, dare I say spearing, going on. :D

And then there is the whole NASCAR action with cars that have the back seats taken out for more room :rolly

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 07:09 AM)
Oh and one other thing to give you an idea about this person - "friend" was supposed to be a best man to one of his friend's weddings and backed out the night before.

WTF?! I'll bet that the groom doesn't speak to said "friend" anymore. I sure as hell wouldn't.

Brian would do himself a favor by associating with people who understand the concept of friendship. Hanging around immature, self-absorbed deadbeats is bad for one's health.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
Brian would do himself a favor by associating with people who understand the concept of friendship.  Hanging around immature, self-absorbed deadbeats is bad for one's health.

The "friend" called yesterday while I was babysitting and talked to Brian for about 2 hrs. The last thing Brian told him was the next guy he was asking to stand up to go that person's house instead of calling. Brian hasn't decided whether to stand up or not yet. I think he wants to back out, but doesn't know what to say - so that means he likely will be.