Our starting pitching

This is what we should be talking about, against 2 excellent hitting clubs, Buehrle-no runs, Garcia-3 runs, Contreras-1 run, Hernandez-1 run=5 runs combined in 4 starts, about 26 innings pitched. Is there a hotter starting pitching staff yet this year? Lets hope Garland can keep it going, and that I didn't jinx us.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
This is what we should be talking about, against 2 excellent hitting clubs, Buehrle-no runs, Garcia-3 runs, Contreras-1 run, Hernandez-1 run=5 runs combined in 4 starts, about 26 innings pitched. Is there a hotter starting pitching staff yet this year? Lets hope Garland can keep it going, and that I didn't jinx us.

if they're excellent hitting clubs.....what are the Angels, Red Sox, and Yankees? :bang

QUOTE(3E8 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 11:43 AM)
Yeah, and one run was balked in.

It was a great move by Ozzie to flip flop Contreras and El Duque. Contreras owns crappy teams - a bunch of his wins for us last year were against KC. Contreras probably would have crapped his pants against the twins last night.

In a way, it was a big game for the sox on friday - I had written it off as a loss after Donger's implosion on Thursday - and here comes our highly touted "big game" pitcher El Duque and he was awesome.

Let's at least wait for our second time through the rotation before we begin to forumlate judgement on it. Plus, I'd like to see a few "bad starts" out of these guys, to see what we really have, you know?

That said, this rotation looks a lot more like the rotation I thought it would be than the one I saw in spring training. This looks like a very solid team overall and I'm impressed with the array of talent that Kenny Williams added in the offseason. I think that considering budget restrictions, the Sox may have quietly had the best offseason in baseball. I think as long as we get improvement from 3B (power OR average would be good) and Shingo doesn't fall apart like I'm afraid he will, then I think we have a better chance at a division crown than we've had, before even 2000.

Just to rain on everyones parade. I love the way the staff has been pitching thus far as well, but I'm gonna remain cautions until this becomes a trend and not just a first week thing.

Hell, remember last year. First two months or so this staff was one of the very best in baseball. Then Scho gets hurt, and the rotation pretty much fell completely apart.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
Just to rain on everyones parade.  I love the way the staff has been pitching thus far as well, but I'm gonna remain cautions until this becomes a trend and not just a first week thing.

Hell, remember last year.  First two months or so this staff was one of the very best in baseball.  Then Scho gets hurt, and the rotation pretty much fell completely apart.

But this year we have Bmac as insurance. I guess we just can't have two guys go down.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
But this year we have Bmac as insurance.  I guess we just can't have two guys go down.

And the bullpen is waaaay better than what he started, and ended, the season with. I can't tell you how many games that pen will give us as compared to the last few years.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
And the bullpen is waaaay better than what he started, and ended, the season with.  I can't tell you how many games that pen will give us as compared to the last few years.

I'll tell ya, it's real nice to have guys like Diaz and Adkins and Walker and Baj down at AAA. Most years, two out of three of those above guys would actually be on the team, which isn't what a championship calibur club should have. I really think Baj can help us next year, but he'll be a real big key to this club if one of our relievers goes down...

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)

Very impressive start for this staff...LEts see it keep going. I don't think I'll ever trust Contreras. If he f***s up bad enough...here comes Brandon.