Do the Bulls really need Eddy next year?

I know this is kind of a wild thought, but the Bulls are 5-1 without the guy going down the playoff stretch. Their only loss was to the top team in the East Miami. Could Eddy's money be better spent on a couple of players, such as a scoring PF and a defensive SG?

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 01:28 AM)
They DO need a center, who can post up and score, so in no Eddie, who is out there they can sign?

So it's worth signing Curry just because he can score, despite the fact he doesn't play defense, can't rebound and could balloon his weight when he signs a long - term deal like so many other centers have done?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
So it's worth signing Curry just because he can score, despite the fact he doesn't play defense, can't rebound and could balloon his weight when he signs a long - term deal like so many other centers have done?

I didn't say that. I said they need a center. Lots of NBA players are not worth what they signed. Hell, most atheletes in general are not worth what they are paid, but that is a whole different discussion. Lots of NDa players are only good at scoring. Some are only good at defense. They still make the team better. Is Eddie one of those? I don't know, that's why I asked who would be out there. Are the Bulls gonna start Othella Harrington next year? While I love what he has contributed this year, put him in the starting roll, he will be toast.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 01:37 AM)
I didn't say that.  I said they need a center. Lots of NBA players are not worth what they signed.  Hell, most atheletes in general are not worth what they are paid, but that is a whole different discussion.  Lots of NDa players are only good at scoring.  Some are only good at defense.  They still make the team better.  Is Eddie one of those? I don't know, that's why I asked who would be out there.  Are the Bulls gonna start Othella Harrington next year?  While I love what he has contributed this year, put him in the starting roll, he will be toast.

I suggested Dalembert. He's easily got double - double potential every night, even though most of his points will come from dunks, put - backs etc.

They could always trade Curry for a pick and try to draft Bogut, the European dude Ankruslivicus? or Chris Taft.

And they could always try to make a sign and trade deal like they did with JC. All I'm saying is that Curry's not worth a max contract at all, and the Bulls would be wise to check all of their options to upgrade this team. You sign Marshall and Dalembert, and this team not only gets deeper, it greatly improves on rebounding and defense.

Yes, they need Curry. The Bulls wins have been coming against crap ass teams. Put them in against a good team in this situation and they are toast, ie the asswhooping they took to Miami (which was made worse with Othella not there, but neither was Shaq).

The Bulls need someone.. They dont have a player on their roster IMO that will ever AVG 20+ PPG

Until they get a scorer they are gonna be hanging around the middle of the pack 4-5 seeds for playoffs and never going to title games..

of course, just what I think on the situation

Actually I am thinking a sign and trade deal might be perfect. They obviously have a great defensive front court, now they need a guard who can defend, and someone who can score from the front court. Actually the sign and trade involved Abdur Rahim might work.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
Actually I am thinking a sign and trade deal might be perfect.  They obviously have a great defensive front court, now they need a guard who can defend, and someone who can score from the front court.  Actually the sign and trade involved Abdur Rahim might work.

Abdur Rahim has NEVER been on a good team.... brining him here would be a mistake.

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
The Bulls need someone.. They dont have a player on their roster IMO that will ever AVG 20+ PPG

Until they get a scorer they are gonna be hanging around the middle of the pack 4-5 seeds for playoffs and never going to title games..

of course, just what I think on the situation

You could be right but the Bulls have the 3rd best record in the East and this is after an 0-9 start where a ton of young guys were thrown on the road to start their careers.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
Abdur Rahim has NEVER been on a good team.... brining him here would be a mistake.

Which is the cause and which is the effect? Is it just SAR is always brought into bad teams, or teams fall apart because of him?

Tru, I Don't know how you could say the Bulls don't have a guy that could avg 20 points a game in his career. Gordon averages like 15 a game in limited minutes and if he was on some crappy team getting 35 minutes a night he would be scoring 20 plus. I'm not saying he should be getting those type of minutes either, because the Bulls would be absolutely terrible if Gordon was getting those type of minutes.

Gordon would be getting double doubles...20 points and 10 turnover nights while being a turnstyle defensively.

And Eddy is as pure of a scorer as it gets. He still has a s***load to work on but this has been by far his best season and he's in great shape, worked hard. Skiles even seems to be liking him and he's about as explosive as it gets. He needs to improve defensively (but he's made strides in that department this year) and definately needs to at least get his rebounding to where he pulls down 7 or 8 a game. However in terms of scoring, he's more then capable of 20 points per.

Even Skiles said last night after the win that it's been tough not being able to go to Eddy and having him open everyone else up. He's super important. 2nd best young center behind Yao. He does play defense and he's at least boxing out for others on the team to get the rebounds. We have Tyson to be the really big defensive presence for us and Eddy is going to be our really big offensive presence. Also, EC has made some really big plays defensively, down the stretch for us this year(e.g. Curry blocking Rashard Lewis in Seattle to seal the deal).

Two things:

1)Curry can't be sign and traded for a draft pick because a)earliest that you can sign a player after the season is over, is July 15th. The draft is in June. b)having an under the table deal(tell a team to draft a certain player to be traded to you later for a RFA) is illegal.

2)Shareef Abdur Rahim is a free agent. Bulls can't trade for a FA unless it's a sign and trade. Curry is going to command 9-11 million a year, if you like it or not. That means Portland would have to sign and trade SAR for that and EC>SAR.

When Skiles has come around saying that the Bulls need Curry to get back out there, then you know he's needed on this team. He was going on his hottest streak too right before he has his complications. Keep Curry and let this team grow together. The Bulls will be able to sign everyone in their young core and there is no reason not to anymore. Also remember, the Bulls have been playing crap teams, and the only good team they faced was Miami and we got our asses handed back to us on a silver platter. We would've lost that with or without O.

I do think the right sign and trade could be quite intriguing. The Bulls would need to be getting a legit, in their prime player in return though. A good defensive shooting guard or a good 3 plus they would have to be able to get a good low post scorer that could defend the bigger centers. Chandler can defend many centers, but they would need some type of wide body force for guys like Shaq.

If they could get Dalembert and then add a good SG/SF and maybe a scoring big man off the bench, fantastic, but I don't find that possible.

I'm talking about getting a Dalembert and Donyell somehow and whoever you get in the trade. Obviously thats pretty much impossible. However, I do think there is good odds Donyell could be a Bull.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
Even Skiles said last night after the win that it's been tough not being able to go to Eddy and having him open everyone else up. He's super important. 2nd best young center behind Yao. He does play defense and he's at least boxing out for others on the team to get the rebounds. We have Tyson to be the really big defensive presence for us and Eddy is going to be our really big offensive presence. Also, EC has made some really big plays defensively, down the stretch for us this year(e.g. Curry blocking Rashard Lewis in Seattle to seal the deal).

Two things:

1)Curry can't be sign and traded for a draft pick because a)earliest that you can sign a player after the season is over, is July 15th. The draft is in June. b)having an under the table deal(tell a team to draft a certain player to be traded to you later for a RFA) is illegal.

2)Shareef Abdur Rahim is a free agent. Bulls can't trade for a FA unless it's a sign and trade. Curry is going to command 9-11 million a year, if you like it or not. That means Portland would have to sign and trade SAR for that and EC>SAR.

When Skiles has come around saying that the Bulls need Curry to get back out there, then you know he's needed on this team. He was going on his hottest streak too right before he has his complications. Keep Curry and let this team grow together. The Bulls will be able to sign everyone in their young core and there is no reason not to anymore. Also remember, the Bulls have been playing crap teams, and the only good team they faced was Miami and we got our asses handed back to us on a silver platter. We would've lost that with or without O.

Great Post. Also in terms of Curry I've lately been in shock almost to read all the nice things Skiles has been saying about him and talking about how much they miss him. I do think next year you'll see Curry and Chandler starting along side each other with Donyell or Simmons on the roster as well. I just hope they can keep Othella around.

I think some of you are overating Dalembert.... he is solid defensively and everything but him and Chandler are practically the same type of player so i dont think he would be a great fit... if we dont resign Eddy we should really go after Rahim and im not saying we shouldnt resign Eddy but thats if we cant.

I agree that they are the same player. Like I say, if they sign Dalembert I wouldn't have a problem because I like his potential, but they better add someone like Donyell as well so they can have a scorer for a big man too.

I think there a lot of things the Bulls can do, none of them involve getting rid of Eddy though. As long as they don't have any concerns with his heart over the offseason, he's going to get a good size contract. I've seen too many quotes lately talking about how important he is to the club.

Him and Chandler are like the perfect compliment, especially as Chandler continues to grow into a total machine defensively.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
Tru, I Don't know how you could say the Bulls don't have a guy that could avg 20 points a game in his career.  Gordon averages like 15 a game in limited minutes and if he was on some crappy team getting 35 minutes a night he would be scoring 20 plus.  I'm not saying he should be getting those type of minutes either, because the Bulls would be absolutely terrible if Gordon was getting those type of minutes.

Gordon would be getting double doubles...20 points and 10 turnover nights while being a turnstyle defensively. 

And Eddy is as pure of a scorer as it gets.  He still has a s***load to work on but this has been by far his best season and he's in great shape, worked hard.  Skiles even seems to be liking him and he's about as explosive as it gets.  He needs to improve defensively (but he's made strides in that department this year) and definately needs to at least get his rebounding to where he pulls down 7 or 8 a game.  However in terms of scoring, he's more then capable of 20 points per.

I dont know, I just dont think any of them on the roster right now would be true scoring threats..