For all the loss in Power

Texsox

Like I've been posting since day one of all these changes, the Sox still have a 200 HR club. They haven't lost all this power, they've lost some, but they are still one of the better long ball offenses in all of baseball and they will once again rank amongst the top in runs scored.

BOOK IT.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
Only one stat matters. Win.

:)

I disagree. It's important to not confuse success with excellence. Any team can beat the odds and win a few games and be successful. The important thing is to look at the stats so far and see where we need to improve. We're not going to win 4 out of 5 games for the rest of the season playing the way we have. That OBP needs to go up. I'd rather address that problem while we're winning than to hit a losing streak to address it.

QUOTE(MoreCowbell @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 07:24 PM)
I disagree.  It's important to not confuse success with excellence.  Any team can beat the odds and win a few games and be successful.  The important thing is to look at the stats so far and see where we need to improve.  We're not going to win 4 out of 5 games for the rest of the season playing the way we have.  That OBP needs to go up.  I'd rather address that problem while we're winning than to hit a losing streak to address it.

Yes, let's get worried because we have such a large sample size.

QUOTE(MoreCowbell @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
I disagree.  It's important to not confuse success with excellence.  Any team can beat the odds and win a few games and be successful.  The important thing is to look at the stats so far and see where we need to improve.  We're not going to win 4 out of 5 games for the rest of the season playing the way we have.  That OBP needs to go up.  I'd rather address that problem while we're winning than to hit a losing streak to address it.

I agree to an extent. Our OBP should be higher and hopefully will be once Frank returns. On the other hand, quality starting pitching is just as (and arguably, more) important as OBP. And we've seen quality starts from all five of our guys thus far.

This season more so than others has caused me to look even deeper into the numbers. (As if you thought that wasn't possible :D).

For the pitchers I'm looking at how they perform as they run up their pitch counts. Some interesting numbers there they told me a lot about our pen.

For the hitters I'm looking at numbers that related to men getting on base

but don't show up in the stats. Like FC's. I noticed as well that Pod's has had 14 SH (bunts & squeeze plays) over the past 2 yrs & Lee's had 0.

These are the little stats that don't show up on the big board unless they result in a R or an RBI but certainly can decide the difference between a win & loss. Take last night's game.

The WSox won 8-5 but 2R were scored on a Pods FC & Pods scoring w/out a hit or a runner reaching. The Score was 5-3 at the time. There was 1 out at the time. If Pods generates an out that doesn't advance the runners it's a completely different ball game. Maybe Koney doesn't hit the HR later. Maybe the game goes into extra innings tied 5-5 & maybe the WSox lose it.

This is the element of small ball that Ozzie talked about & witnessed with Pierre in FL. Last night it counted. It may have been the difference between winning & losing.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)
Yes, let's get worried because we have such a large sample size.

Yeah, but we don't have a whole lot of OBP guys in our lineup. Iguchi could be one, but Thomas is the only guy in our lineup who's going to get on at a great clip. Everett, Konerko, and Rowand should all be up there in the .350's, but after that, I really don't know...

I'm cautiously optimistic, but that stat needs to be higher if we want to win consistently...

QUOTE(El Piervizdyeguchansodnik @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
WHy are people freaking out over OBP after 5 games when we faced a couple nasty pitchers??

That OBP will go down more today cause we're up against Santana.

I'm not freaking out over a small sample size, I'm just making the statement that if this team wants to the playoffs, that that OBP has to improve. That's just a fact. Don't take me the wrong way, I like this team's make-up a lot and I think it has a lot of potential. Even without Frank, I foresee our OBP improving. If it doesn't... we could have some issues.

QUOTE(MoreCowbell @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)
I'm not freaking out over a small sample size, I'm just making the statement that if this team wants to the playoffs, that that OBP has to improve.  That's just a fact.  Don't take me the wrong way, I like this team's make-up a lot and I think it has a lot of potential.  Even without Frank, I foresee our OBP improving.  If it doesn't... we could have some issues.

Well, I think that last sentence is true for just about every team in baseball right now. It is way too early to tell what is going to happen. I really hope we do have a solid OBP team though just as I am sure you do.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 03:28 PM)
Yeah, but we don't have a whole lot of OBP guys in our lineup.  Iguchi could be one, but Thomas is the only guy in our lineup who's going to get on at a great clip.  Everett, Konerko, and Rowand should all be up there in the .350's, but after that, I really don't know...

I'm cautiously optimistic, but that stat needs to be higher if we want to win consistently...

You worry way too much about OBP.

Two out of the last three years the White Sox had a higher team OBP than the Twins. The Twins got into the playoffs with a team OBP of .332 both those years. That mark pales in comparison to the .350-.360 team OBP that the Yankees and Red Sox have been posting.

Our starting rotation and bullpen this year will go a long way in helping us make up for what may be a loss in team OBP. I still think we will land in the .330-.340 range, which is typical for us.