Homeland security money not being spent.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...a40729_2005apr9

This is rediculous. We're supposedly under constant threat from terrorism yet one of the cities that was actually attacked has only spent 17% of the money available to it for anti-terror measures and the national average isin't much better checking in at 44%. I guess state officials are really taking this issue seriously.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

Figures a government worker would criticize other government workers for not spending every last dime of our tax dollars.

What a concept. A government worker or agency not spending every last dime and actually being responsible like private industry? Eliminating waste. Maybe we budgeted too much money?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 05:00 PM)
Figures a government worker would criticize other government workers for not spending every last dime of our tax dollars.

What a concept. A government worker or agency not spending every last dime and actually being responsible like private industry? Eliminating waste. Maybe we budgeted too much money?

I bring this up because I remember several articles in the papers and a couple of threads on here about how the govt was short changing the states money to fund security requirements.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 12:29 AM)
I bring this up because I remember several articles in the papers and a couple of threads on here about how the govt was short changing the states money to fund security requirements.

I kid, because I care™

It is interesting that they either waste money or are irresponsible and don't spend it. ;)

Or perhaps we figured out that in a free and open society, we basically have to trust people and take the bad with the good.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 12:29 AM)

In some cases the funding doesn't show up. (In particular money earmarked for first responders, port and airport security systems (a now Federal program)) In other cases money is thrown at projects without plans. It's a little more complicated than one thing or the other usually.