The Top 25: 10-6

Chisoxfn

The Top 25: 10-6

By FutureSox.com Staff

April 10, 2005

We are continuing our countdown of the White Sox top 25 prospects. Spring Training has finished and the major league season has begun. The start of the mnior league season lies two days ahead, so keep an eye on the guys on the list as well as some of the sleepers FutureSox.com will discuss later on in the year...MORE

Hard to say simply because I'm not the biggest Mike Morse fan. He'd probably rate ahead of the 3 headed monster (Lopez, Gonzo, Valido) but I'm not much of a fan of Morse to be honest. He's just got a funky swing and I don't think it will work.

Plus I don't really think of him lasting at SS. Of course he's better offensively than any of the 3 or at least he was last season. I'd have him probably at #9 which is where Lopez is now with Pedro taking a slide.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
The more I look at our list the more I realize that it's absolutely ridiculous that Munoz is in the top 10. Oh well.

You never were much of a fan of his were ya Dan. :P :lol:

Personally I don't think Munoz will make it as a starter, but I still think Munoz belongs there. If you take away his one start in Chicago, the guy would still rank quite highly in most prospect lists. The guy was absolutely amazing in Birmingham last year, pitched well out of the pen in Chicago and had a little blip in the radar.

Personally I'm pissed at how the whole 5th starter situation was handled last year. On a sidenote, I also think the Sox did a disservice to Munoz by telling him not to throw his curveball as much and they had him stressing the slider.

Munoz still has a shot to be a good reliever, top 10, I don't know, but I think its one of those things where if you look aside at the beating he took against Montreal, that he still deserves to be rated pretty highly.

I've long said the guy that kills me to see on that list is Kris Honel. Personally I don't think he should make any prospect list until he proves he can pitch again. On the whole though, everytime I look at the list the better of a job I think it really was. I mean I look at BA's top 30 and there are a lot of disagreements.

I think as a whole we did an accurate job, but I'm sure thats up for debate. Its really tough, especially when different people have different guys they really like. Still total blast and to me best way to learn more is just to see how a bevy of people feel about different guys.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 12:03 AM)
The more I look at our list the more I realize that it's absolutely ridiculous that Munoz is in the top 10. Oh well.

I'd have to agree there.

Munoz is still intriguing because of his curveball, but I wouldn't consider him to be top 10.

As long as we have Cotts and Marte, I'd consider him pretty much stuck as AAA fodder unless we trade him because I definitely don't see him ever starting for us again.

One thing on his side is his relative youth, he is only 22, but I don't know if he ever makes a big impact with this organization.

That start against Montreal really soured a lot of people on Munoz. He was the next great prospect around here before that start. I'm sure that start knocked his confidence for a loop. Hopefully, after an offseason, he can regather himself and get back on track.

Like Aboz said he is still intriguing because of what he has shown in the past and the supposedly great curveball. However, the odds of him making an impact with this team are minimal. And he would be a middle reliever anyway. Not to say they aren't important, but middle relievers in the minors just aren't top 10 material.

And YAS, I had the same thinking as you to a certain extent that his confidence was shot after getting shelled by the Expos. Getting rocked in Charlotte last year wasn't that big of a deal because of that. However, I'm keeping him on a short leash as any sort of a prospect. Also, in 2 outings out of the pen so far he has pitched 4 innings. He has given up 4 runs, 8 hits and 2 walks. Yuck.

To be honest, Munoz probably belongs right where Diaz is because both are similar. I still see more upside in Munoz but both have had up and down sucess and are a little battered about. Of course Munoz is still just 22 and that curve is wicked.

Like Dan says though, if he struggles in Charlotte he's pretty much into the midst of the Adkins/Diaz/Walker which is being a back of the end reliever at best, imo.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
Like Dan says though, if he struggles in Charlotte he's pretty much into the midst of the Adkins/Diaz/Walker which is being a back of the end reliever at best, imo.

If he struggles in Charlotte he will never make it to the Majors again as opposed to Adkins and Diaz who have both shown success in Charlotte. I haven't given up on Diaz. BTW, in your other players to watch writeup with guys like Owens and Jenks you should talk about Diaz now that he is starting in the minors. We had him as a non-prospect because of his time in the bigs last year. If we had him on the list he would be ahead of Munoz, that's for damn sure.

Anyone think that Morse's suspension last year might have something to do with steroids? It might not be but I wouldn't be surprised. Just pure conjecture, but he was suspended the same time as Ulacia who has had those mutterings swirl around him.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
Anyone think that Morse's suspension last year might have something to do with steroids? It might not be but I wouldn't be surprised. Just pure conjecture, but he was suspended the same time as Ulacia who has had those mutterings swirl around him.

I thought the roid suspensions were made public?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)
I thought the roid suspensions were made public?

Before this year usually the minor league steroid suspensions were kept within but that obviously changed with the 38 minor leaguers that were made a public a week or so ago.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)

There was some speculation on that possiblity rather recently, iirc.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)
All I remember is Morse, Ulacia and someone else were suspended for 'violating team rules'.

McNichol of the Barons was the other guy you are thinking of. He had a great year last year for them.