Official Twinkies Suck Thread

chimpy2121

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
No.

Do you see how well mauer has hit with men in scoring position? Sure he has low rbi totals but whenever he has been given the chance to drive runs in he does it. Mauer is a sick defensive catcher and will only get better. I have always thought pierz was one of the better defenders in baseball but no one seemed to believe me. He was ''bad at blocking balls in the dirt''. My ass.

Mauer>>> pierz and i really like pierz.

Mauer has has will always hover around .300 ( much like pierz has throughout most of his career. The big difference is mauer sees alot more pitches and walk at a much better pace... wouldn't be surprised to see him post a .400 obp in a year or two. Mauer is also one of the faster catchers in the league... not gonna steal you many bases but you have alot more options with mauer than pierzynski... such as a hit and run with mauer being the runner.

I wouyld give mauer the defensive edge too but i am not sure how long he will last at the position.

Mauer offensively, especially power wise, seeing as how AJ has never hit more than 11 HRs in any given season and I could see Mauer hitting 25+ HRs regularly for the rest of his career, is better than AJ. Mauer probably will put up a huge OBP for his career seeing how he already has a great eye. Avg wise they'll probably be the same, around .300.

Mauer Defensively is probably a little better than AJ right now. AJ and Mauer are both excellent defenders, AJ especially is brilliant when it comes to blocking the ball in the dirt. IMO Mauer's arm is superior to AJs. When you look at CS% for AJ you have to remember it is sqewed due to who he catches for, seeing how 3/5 of his SPs suck at holding runners at first. But still AJ has never had the strongest arm. Mauer on the other hand has an absolute cannon.

The reason I think AJ is a tiny bit better than Mauer as of right now is in calling a game. AJ has always been known as a great game caller and this year just exemplifies it. He is f***ing brilliant when it comes to this, Mauer on the other hand is still learning and it will take a while before he can learn to call a game to the extent that AJ can, if he even has to seeing how he could be a 3rd baseman soon. AJ makes your pitching staff better, plain and simple. If f***ing El Duque would stop shaking him off he would be pitching a whole hell of a lot better too.

I've seen about 2/3 of the Twin's games this year on my Extra Innings package and have fallen in love with the way that Mauer plays the game.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A.J. calling games is one of the big reasons our staff has been so good this year. Just bringing him in to do that has paid for his deal easily.

If Mauer stays healthy, there's no reason he can't be a hall of famer at catcher. He's been Baseball America's #1 prospect in America for 2 years in a row for a reason. He was the #1 draft pick, over guys named Prior and Teixiera for a reason.

This year, I'd still prefer A.J, because he's far more experienced, he can call a good game, and he's going wild now that he's hitting in the Cell instead of bouncing balls off of the baggie in Minnesota (Hopefully his average will recover at some point).

In the future...if Joe Mauer is healthy, he'll be by far the better choice. But as with all prospects...the big question is his health. Mauer to A.J. can very easily be A.J. to Ben Davis.

And besides, aren't the Twins due for some poor luck with someone from their minor leagues?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 01:02 AM)
In the future...if Joe Mauer is healthy, he'll be by far the better choice.  But as with all prospects...the big question is his health.  Mauer to A.J. can very easily be A.J. to Ben Davis.

That seems like a poor comparison to me?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 11:37 PM)
They weren't stupid in letting AJ go. They had Joe Mauer who in my book looks like he will become a damn good player. It was time for AJ to go, Mauer was ready. The Giants are the dumbasses for picking Tomko over AJ.

I know they had Mauer, and I know his potential is far greater than A.J.'s, but how do you let a damn good player (even though you have what most feel is a better replacement) like A.J. go to your main division rival, even if he went somewhere else when you first released him? That's like saying the Braves would let Chipper Jones walk to the Phillies because they have Andy Marte.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 03:09 AM)
I know they had Mauer, and I know his potential is far greater than A.J.'s, but how do you let a damn good player (even though you have what most feel is a better replacement) like A.J. go to your main division rival, even if he went somewhere else when you first released him? That's like saying the Braves would let Chipper Jones walk to the Phillies because they have Andy Marte.

No, its like saying the Braves let Chipper go to the Royals, only to see him non-waivered and then picked up by Philly.

Nothing you can do about it. And they don't care, they got their closer for atleast probably another year, and I want to say they got Bonser in the trade too. San Francisco let AJ go after one year.

I'd say the Twins have to be feeling pretty good about it, actually, considering how much more value they are getting out of it rather than the Giants. There is nothing you can do about him coming to the Sox.

It's like saying the Indians shouldn't have traded Colon to the Expos because he then came to the Sox the next year. With the package they got, they would have been dumb to turn it down.

They had the chance to bring him back. Therefore, let me modify my comparison. It'd be like the Braves sending Jones to the Royals because they have Marte, who then release him a year later, and then letting him go to the Phillies. Still dumb to let a big rival have such a good player.

Why aren't you guys letting me rip on the Twins? It'd be like me defending the Patriots. Those teams can both kiss my ass!

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 03:19 AM)
They had the chance to bring him back. Therefore, let me modify my comparison. It'd be like the Braves sending Jones to the Royals because they have Marte, who then release him a year later, and then letting him go to the Phillies. Still dumb to let a big rival have such a good player.

Why aren't you guys letting me rip on the Twins? It'd be like me defending the Patriots. Those teams can both kiss my ass!

Because the Twins didn't do anything stupid. They traded AJ because they had Mauer. Once AJ was gone, he wasn't part of the Twins plans. They didn't need a catcher so they didn't attempt to sign AJ when SF released him.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 06:19 PM)

Right now Joe Nathan is way more valuable to the Minnesota Twins than A.J Pierzynski, plus they 2 got very nice prospects out of the deal as well. Sounds like they did pretty well to me, as Terry Ryan always does.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 03:19 AM)

What would the point of bringing him back be? They had a better catcher in Mauer and a better backup in Redmond.

And I hate the Dolphins, but I will acknowledge a good move they make. I hate the Cubs, but realize that Mark Prior is the best pitcher in Chicago. You cant just rip on people to rip on them