First Week Thoughts?

soxman352000

What are some of the likes and dislikes from this first week? What do think the team has to improve upon, and what do you think has been successful. My Likes: Pods causing Havic on the base pads at the metrodome. The great starts by all of our pitchers (Yes even Garland's was OK) The job Hermanson did out of the pen and the bunting and sac flys have been a welcome change. My dislikes: Marte has still been a little off, shingo had that bad game, but ws able to get the Pilsbury Doughboy swinging on Saturday. Crede didn't have a first good week, but that can improve. What do you guys think? :bringit

Edited by soxman352000

well my likes are we a top the divison iguchi having the best average on the team everett continue to hit the ball well after spring training and all are starters had qaulity starts.

Dislikes are rowand crede and uribe starting off slow. shingos blown save and having viz basically giving up runs for the team cause we had no other help but overall i am happy with week one

Edited by Spod=Ratings

I like what I see. For me Thursday is a huge outing for Jose, we all know he has the capabilities of shutting a team down on any given night but with him it's consistancy. The games I saw him in ST I thought he looked excellent because he was featuring his fastball a bunch which he didn't do last year, if he keeps on doing that he might just have a huge year for the sox this year. Overall, I love this team, I love the starters, I the love the pen and I love the rebuilt offense, this is going to be a fun year.

6 games, 4 wins, 2 series won..

Even the simplest math will show you that if you win every series, you win 100+ games. Will we win every series? no, but 2 out of every 3 in general shuld be enough to satisfy any fan.

Likes: Iguchi - catching on fast, playing solid D at 2nd, and starting to see the pitches very well

Pods - doing his thing on the basepaths early and often. If we get a .270-.275 average outta him, we are good IMO, cause he will be on base enough to do his thing.

Starting Pitching - Up until today, 5 starts, 5 QUALITY starts. Garland can give me 6 IP and 3 ER every 5th day and I'm ecstatic.

Dislikes: - Unfounded grief from Sox "fans" about every minute thing in a loss. "Crede shouldnt have tried to do his job!" "Shingo sucks! He blew a save omg!" "Why did Ozzie use all our pitchers so early, now we are screwed!" Yeah, 162 games folks, there are gonna be 60 losses, there are gonna be 60 wins. Those other 42 games are teh ones that matter.

Rowand, Crede slow Offensive starts - Every year, Crede starts in a funk. Its like clockwork by now, we should expect it. Just always hope that this is the year it doesnt happen. Luckily, he will be fine and can always rely on his defense to get him by. Rowand, I didnt see that coming. He was absolutely scalding the ball in ST. Think ST lasted too long for him.

All I'm saying is hang tight guys, its gonna be a fun season! Just don't get too bent over losses, cause guess what....EVERY team has them!! I know, its hard to believe.

:gosox1:

I could go into specifics, but there is one big generality that makes me feel all warm inside right now, and that is all of the runs we are stealing this year. We are bunting, taking extra bases, stealing, putting pressure on the defense etc, and it is paying off so far.

Likes: Iguchi: The only starter to not strike out against Santana last night. Leading the team with a .389 average. Good defense, it can improve though.

Everett: Too bad we can't have ten guys in the lineup when Frank comes back. This guy's been great the first week and had a great series against Minnesota.

El Duque: If he keeps pitching like he did against the Twins, KW is a genius!

Dislikes: Crede, Rowand, Uribe: Only because their averages are low. But Crede's defense has been subpar.

But when we're 4-2 with 2 series wins, there's really not much else to complain about.

:gosox1:

still worried about this team... 5 wins 2 losses

BUT

we scored 27 while giving up 26 runs... thats cutting it pretty close... we need to get this offense moving if we're going to keep up with Detroit and Cleveland

Starting pitching has been great, and the bullpen's been ok so far, Ozzie knows which guys he shouldn't overwork e.g Vizcaino who hasn't pitched in 4 games now.

The offense seems to be getting a bit better, but definitely needs to improve, mainly the top 5 are doing a pretty good job, and the lower half of the order needs to step up. But that'll come.