Twins and White Not a Factor in the Central?

Pasqua's Mailman

The Tigers will be a sub .500 team this season. But thats it! They have improved, but they absolutley have NO starting pitching depth. It will be a 3 team race all the way to the finish. Twins vs Sox vs Tribe. The Twins always get off to slow starts, and when Sabathia comes back Cleveland will even be even more dangerous. IMO 90 wins will take it. Divisional play will be extremely important and right now the Sox are looking awesome vs divisional rivals. The Tigers have been a thorn in the Sox side for the past 2 seasons, well enough is enough and its time for a change. Sorry Young I think those 3 opening day homers when to your head. I hope the Sox continue to get no respect. I want to sneek up on teams.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 06:16 PM)
i know, but i'm just saying to not get too cocky... its still very early

Oh trust me, I'm not cocky at all, the twins still scare the crap out of me, I just don't think the Tigers or the Indians will be there at the end of the year.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 09:03 PM)
Not with their AAA-quality pitching. :lol:

Idonno the Royals pitching staff isnt as bad as you make it out to be.. Hernandez and Greinkie are both good pitchers, Anderson and Lima are both avg. pitchers would be our number 5's but they can pitch a good one here or there... dont know their last pitcher.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)
Idonno the Royals pitching staff isnt as bad as you make it out to be..  Hernandez and Greinkie are both good pitchers,  Anderson and Lima are both avg. pitchers would be our number 5's but they can pitch a good one here or there... dont know their last pitcher.

Bautista is their last pitcher. He's the cousin of Pedro and Ramon Martinez. He had a really good outing last week in his first game giving up only 1 run in 8 Innings. Wood is also starting I think. I don't know if both Anderson and Lima are in the starting rotation.

Idonno the Royals pitching staff isnt as bad as you make it out to be..  Hernandez and Greinkie are both good pitchers,  Anderson and Lima are both avg. pitchers would be our number 5's but they can pitch a good one here or there... dont know their last pitcher.

Lima and Anderson wouldn't crack the rotation of the sox. I agree though Hernandez and Greinke are both solid pitchers and bautista ain't bad either. I don't see Runylves(sp?) making it through the whole season and it'll be interesting to see the growing pains of Greinke and Bautista. KC is an improved team because their starting pitching is definitely better, however they're still finishing in the cellar by plenty of games.

well yeah no arguing that, but this is a big learning year for them.... Berroa, Dejesus, Buck, Teahan... whose their 2B Gotay?? All those are young guys and with a year under their belt will be much improved next year... I just wonder if they will be able to unload Mike Sweeney this year.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 07:37 PM)
well yeah no arguing that, but this is a big learning year for them.... Berroa, Dejesus, Buck, Teahan... whose their 2B Gotay??  All those are young guys and with a year under their belt will be much improved next year... I just wonder if they will be able to unload Mike Sweeney this year.

Ya, Gotay is their 2nd baseman, I personally think he's going to be a good player, he didn't really put up great numbers in the minor leagues but he's got a short and quick swing and a live bat. I think he's going to be a good player but that's jmo.

Detroit may try to talk the talk, but they ain't going to be able to walk the walk. The back end of their rotation is weak, outfield defense is horrid, and they just ain't there yet. But knowing Mike Illitch, he'll give $10 - 12 million a season to Jeff Weaver, A.J Burnett or Brad Penny this off-season coming.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)
I think the royals are the other team thats gonna be right there at the end.

Dimitri Young is still high off his three home run game he is going to end the year at about a 268 average and detroit is going to finish 19 games under .500 because maggs is going to be out forever with his flu or whatever and their starting pitching era is going to be over 5.50

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
Not with their AAA-quality pitching. :lol:

A prime example. They just got slammed by Seattle today. Those guys are the biggest running gag in the AL and the morons on TV who claim to know something about baseball always predict them going places,,,,,until about May 1st,,,,,,,,,then they are forgotten about.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
A prime example.  They just got slammed by Seattle today.  Those guys are the biggest running gag in the AL and the morons on TV who claim to know something about baseball always predict them going places,,,,,until about May 1st,,,,,,,,,then they are forgotten about.

Please don't tell Posnanski that the Royals suck.

He will cry.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
Ya, Gotay is their 2nd baseman, I personally think he's going to be a good player, he didn't really put up great numbers in the minor leagues but he's got a short and quick swing and a live bat.  I think he's going to be a good player but that's jmo.

He looked amazing on Sunday in Anaheim. Had 4 hits one of them a BIG TIME Bomb. Colon was shaking his head wondering who the hell he was, lol.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 09:19 PM)
I should go back and find my "Who's afraid of the big bad Royals?" thread from last season.

LOL!

Maybe you should make a thread - "Who's afraid of the big bad s***-talking Tigers?"

Cuz I am not scared of the Royals, and I am not even close to being scared of the Tigers either

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
Please don't tell Posnanski that the Royals suck.

He will cry.

Wite,

Posnaski does know they suck. He was having so much trouble finding positive things to write about that he actually solicited column ideas over at BTF. He actually printed a few of them. And had one entire column devoted to the ideas he recieved.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 09:34 PM)
Wite,

Posnaski does know they suck.  He was having so much trouble finding positive things to write about that he actually solicited column ideas over at BTF.  He actually printed a few of them.  And had one entire column devoted to the ideas he recieved.

Damn. There goes that fun right down the f***in' drain :angry:

Um, no, they're WORSE than I make them out to be. Outside of Greinke, they suck BIG TIME. Did you even look at their numbers? Over half of that staff had an ERA of 5.35 or higher last year. Lima was decent last year, but is inconsistent as hell (and has reverted to his sucky ways by starting this year 0-2 with a 10.80 ERA). Anderson is comparable to Garland (who is barely good enough to be the #5 on the Sox), but was absolutely terrible last year. Run-Elvys Hernandez is probably their best pitcher, but is never healthy. Jeremy Affeldt has pitched well as a starter in the past, but was constantly sidelined with finger blisters and moved to the closer role (where he hasn't been doing particularly well). Greinke is good enough to pitch in our rotation, but the rest are either inconsistent, excessively injury-prone, or just plain blow.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 11:12 PM)
Um, no, they're WORSE than I make them out to be.  Outside of Greinke, they suck BIG TIME.  Did you even look at their numbers?  Over half of that staff had an ERA of 5.35 or higher last year.  Lima was decent last year, but is inconsistent as hell (and has reverted to his sucky ways by starting this year 0-2 with a 10.80 ERA).  Anderson is comparable to Garland (who is barely good enough to be the #5 on the Sox), but was absolutely terrible last year.  Run-Elvys Hernandez is probably their best pitcher, but is never healthy.  Jeremy Affeldt has pitched well as a starter in the past, but was constantly sidelined with finger blisters and moved to the closer role (where he hasn't been doing particularly well).  Greinke is good enough to pitch in our rotation, but the rest are either inconsistent, excessively injury-prone, or just plain blow.

Lima pitching in the weak hitting NL West(for the most part), and also pitching at Chavez Ravine also probably helped a little too.

They're atleast a year away from being even considered contenders, and that's if everything plays out well.

I know Hernandez was injured last time but does that make him a huge injury risk... I agree the only two that would make our starting staff is Greinkie and Hernandez but like been said earlier that cabrera dude is a good prospect and than maybe i wouldnt want Lima but Anderson could be a solid 5.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 11:33 PM)
I know Hernandez was injured last time but does that make him a huge injury risk...

That depends what you mean by "last time."

2003: 16 starts

2004: 0 starts

Yeah, I'd say that he's an injury risk. :rolly

I agree the only two that would make our starting staff is Greinkie and Hernandez but like been said earlier that cabrera dude is a good prospect and than maybe i wouldnt want Lima but Anderson could be a solid 5.

Prospects don't mean crap until they actually do something in the majors. Anderson might be a decent #5 on some teams, but not for us. He was horrible last year and has never put up better-than-Garland numbers in the AL.

Edited by TheBigHurt35