Man Date

Soxy

Men, how often do you go out to dinner/movies/whatever with only one other male friend?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Men, how often do you go out to dinner/movies/whatever with only one other male friend?

• Once a week
    • Two or three times a month
    • Once a month or less
    • Never, that would be awkward
    • I'm a lady/Or I just like to vote

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)
That's a slap in the face man, I wouldn't stoop to that. I can't believe you. Haha but anyways we've watched NFL playoff games and the NCAA tournament recently. So I'm assuming that's ok.

I'm just bustin' your balls.

Do you meet other people while you're out, or do you get a nice quiet table in the corner with the dim lighting?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
I'm just bustin' your balls.

Do you meet other people while you're out, or do you get a nice quiet table in the corner with the dim lighting?

It's usually checkin out hot girls, or trying to find some for that matter.

It's just so odd for me to think that men wouldn't want to go to dinner and/or a movie with a male friend.

Is it so much less awkward for men to go to dinner or a movie or whatever with a platonic female friend?

Although, my favorite male "rule" is the leaving a seat between two men (that are friends and seeing the same movie) in the theatre. Never understood that...

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
Is it so much less awkward for men to go to dinner or a movie or whatever with a platonic female friend?

Although, my favorite male "rule" is the leaving a seat between two men (that are friends and seeing the same movie) in the theatre. Never understood that...

I never go with a "platonic female friend" as when you get married, many of those that I hung out with suddenly vanished. Just one of those things that happened, and I really can't say I miss any of them.

As for the seat inbetween rule, that one always confused me. I always wondered if the person thought I was going to grab them during the movie, or if they had an uncontrollable urge to do so themselves and this was the only way to remedy it.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 04:03 PM)

That used to crack my friend and myself up whenever we would see that when we would go to the show.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 09:03 PM)
It's just so odd for me to think that men wouldn't want to go to dinner and/or a movie with a male friend.

1. No such thing as the platonic female friend. That might be true for the woman, but believe me, given the chance, a guy would nail every one of those 'platonic' friends. When you're out together, everyone assumes your a couple, which is ok with us.

2. It's about how it looks. Two guys side by side at the movies, in the dark, c'mon.

I don't do "dinner" with my male friends...

I have no problem with movies, but I rarely go to movies so...

I would say that I sit and eat dinner with a single male friend of mine at least once a week, but it's almost always in a bar setting. That makes it feel diferent -- More manly. It would be weird if we went to Baker's Square or something like that.

Going out with a friend=hanging out.

C'mon, I hope some of you homophobic guys are overexaggerating...

Even though it's mostly as a group, as has been stated, sometimes I will go out with just one guy to go grab something to eat...

How else are you gonna split those 10 taco specials or 2-for-1 pizzas?

I also had another friend I'd go to the dollar theater with like twice a month before when I was at FSU. I mean, it's not like you're not allowed to hit on girls when you go out with one friend....Sometimes those opportnuties just come up, and you have more confidence with a partner in crime...

Nobody else has a wing-man?

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 10:33 PM)
Going out with a friend=hanging out.

C'mon, I hope some of you homophobic guys are overexaggerating...

Even though it's mostly as a group, as has been stated, sometimes I will go out with just one guy to go grab something to eat...

How else are you gonna split those 10 taco specials or 2-for-1 pizzas?

I also had another friend I'd go to the dollar theater with like twice a month before when I was at FSU. I mean, it's not like you're not allowed to hit on girls when you go out with one friend....Sometimes those opportnuties just come up, and you have more confidence with a partner in crime...

Nobody else has a wing-man?

I'm the farthest thing from homophobic, but I still don't do it. Like I said, it depends on where you're having dinner. If you're grabbing a burger and fries at a fast food joint or bar, that's one thing. If it looks like you picked something trendy or popular and special, made reservations, dressed up etc, then c'mon.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 05:24 AM)
Myself and most of my male friends are married now, but I used to go to lunch every Tuesday and Thursday with one of my male co-workers for about two or three years straight.

Nah, that is not even close to being a man date. If you work together, of course you sometimes eat together. Man date would be like in the evening, maybe even a weekend evening, I'll pick you up, I made reservations type of deal.

Mostly guys just do the sports bar thing. I have gone to a quick dinner with another guy, but it's usually like Fridays or something like that when it's a non-business setting.

guys need the other diversion of gambling, alcohol or sports, because if you ever actually listened to two guy friends talk ... not very deep. That's why guy relationships usually last a long time .... no getting hurt when no conversation goes below the surface.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 08:01 AM)
Nah, that is not even close to being a man date. If you work together, of course you sometimes eat together. Man date would be like in the evening, maybe even a weekend evening, I'll pick you up, I made reservations type of deal.

Well, if that's the definition, then no. I'd go out to a bar with one other male friend sometimes in college or grad school, but that's abou tit. I would never even think to set up a "date" with another man, even if it's obviously platonic to both parties. My male friends are drinking and sports-watching. :D

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)
Mostly guys just do the sports bar thing. I have gone to a quick dinner with another guy, but it's usually like Fridays or something like that when it's a non-business setting.

guys need the other diversion of gambling, alcohol or sports, because if you ever actually listened to two guy friends talk ... not very deep. That's why guy relationships usually last a long time .... no getting hurt when no conversation goes below the surface.

Yep, 90% of the time the conversation is about sports or women, so a sports bar is perfect. If you don't have those 2 things around, the conversation gets pretty slow.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
As for the seat inbetween rule, that one always confused me. I always wondered if the person thought I was going to grab them during the movie, or if they had an uncontrollable urge to do so themselves and this was the only way to remedy it.

Elbow room. :D Plus, you get full use of the cup holders on either side of you...

The same thing happens at the urinals in the bathroom.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
Elbow room.  :D Plus, you get full use of the cup holders on either side of you...

The same thing happens at the urinals in the bathroom.

Good point. And you always look straight ahead and stare at the wall. LOL