The "Joe Crede Support Group"

beck72

I'm one of those people who think Joe could post numbers like .270/.320/.465, with 20 HR's and 70 rbi's. Seeing how he's had to make some adjustments in his swing [pretty significant ones at that], and still boasted some good power numbers since late 2002 without those changes, if he works out the kinks he should be a very solid major league player.

I know Joe Crede hasn't lived up to the hype [which, given his awards and numbers in the minors, maybe deserved at the time]. But count me among those who want to see this kid do well, especially as others start up the "dump Joe" chants. Whether Joe gets his act together this season, who knows. If he doesn't improve on his 2004 year, the sox should probably look for help at 3B. I just know Joe seems like a guy who should get more support than I've seen. He's a quiet professional who works hard, doesn't let his struggles at the plate affect his defense, and has the skills to help this team win a lot of games in 2005.

With that said, count me as the first member of the "Joe Crede Support Group". Meetings are on an "as needed" basis [probably after an 0-4 day with 3 k's and an error in the field, or multiple "Crede sucks" threads]. And members should refrain from saying "I told you so" to non-members if Joe has a break out year. So who's with me?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beck72 @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 12:30 PM)
I'm one of those people who think Joe could post numbers like .270/.320/.465, with 20 HR's and 70 rbi's. Seeing how he's had to make some adjustments in his swing [pretty significant ones at that], and still boasted some good power numbers since late 2002 without those changes, if he works out the kinks he should be a very solid major league player.

I know Joe Crede hasn't lived up to the hype [which, given his awards and numbers in the minors, maybe deserved at the time]. But count me among those who want to see this kid do well, especially as others start up the "dump Joe" chants. Whether Joe gets his act together this season, who knows. If he doesn't improve on his 2004 year, the sox should probably look for help at 3B. I just know Joe seems like a guy who should get more support than I've seen. He's a quiet professional who works hard, doesn't let his struggles at the plate affect his defense, and has the skills to help this team win a lot of games in 2005.

With that said, count me as the first member of the "Joe Crede Support Group". Meetings are on an "as needed" basis [probably after an 0-4 day with 3 k's and an error in the field, or multiple "Crede sucks" threads]. And members should refrain from saying "I told you so" to non-members if Joe has a break out year. So who's with me?

I want to see him succeed...no doubt. I just looks more and more unlikely. I'll join, what the hell. Do I get a pin to wear?

Im not gonna sign on because I think the reason we drafted Fields was because of the unsureness about Crede.. but I will still pull for him to do good because he is our starting 3B

but ide rather wait for Feilds

QUOTE(beck72 @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
Probably true. Yet the sox had little depth at 3b.

Yeah thats true too, but Fields isnt too far off from the ML's from what its looking like, we wouldnt be in a bad situation if Crede starts producing and Fields is ready.. We could get something in a trade possibly..

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
while you are at it, include Jon Rauch, Joe Borchard, and Danny Wright into your "never will be a good player" fan club.

A "support group" is different than a "fan club"----but the Crede "group" is a little tongue in cheek. Feel free to start your own club or group though.

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)
Yeah thats true too, but Fields isnt too far off from the ML's from what its looking like, we wouldnt be in a bad situation if Crede starts producing and Fields is ready.. We could get something in a trade possibly..

Any Sox players in the organization doing well is a positive.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 11:43 AM)
A "support group" is different than a "fan club"----but the Crede "group" is a little tongue in cheek. Feel free to start your own club or group though.

Dont need to. Crede will not be on the roster next year. He doesnt produce, he has an ass of an agent, and Fields will be ready. The team is better off with Ozuna playing third this season anyway.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
  The team is better off with Ozuna playing third this season anyway.

That's true considering he is 30 years old and has so much major league experience

Joe is a good defensive 3B and has good power. He will be gone when he becomes a FA because of Boras.

I'm in

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(ptatc @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
That's true considering he is 30 years old and has so much major league experience

Joe is a good defensive 3B and has good power. He will be gone when he becomes a FA because of Boras.

I'm in

What good is major league experience when you dont produce, just like Joe. Power is nothing when you can make contact with the ball in the first place, and his defense has started to lack as well. Ozuna was always touted as a great prospect as well, and he makes good contact, plays good defense and is speedy on the base paths. I think he is a better option at this point. And when Joe is gone after the season, that is one less hole in our lineup

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
What good is major league experience when you dont produce, just like Joe.  Power is nothing when you can make contact with the ball in the first place, and his defense has started to lack as well.  Ozuna was always touted as a great prospect as well, and he makes good contact, plays good defense and is speedy on the base paths.  I think he is a better option at this point.  And when Joe is gone after the season, that is one less hole in our lineup

Does the lineup need more contact with no power potential (Ozuna) or more power with potential for contact (Crede) right now? A question for the ages.

Basically you know what you have in Ozuna, a utility player who may get hot. The jury is out on Crede. Leave him in for one more year then get an upgrade if needed.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
I support any Sox player even though at times I too get frustrated with Crede.

Anyone who joins an anti-group against a particular player but does not suggest a viable alternative is not a real fan of the team imo.

what anti group are you speaking of?

QUOTE(ptatc @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
Does the lineup need more contact with no power potential (Ozuna) or more power with potential for contact (Crede) right now? A question for the ages.

Basically you know what you have in Ozuna, a utility player who may get hot. The jury is out on Crede. Leave him in for one more year then get an upgrade if needed.

Being that this is his 5th pro season, I think Ozuna is prime for a breakout. When he was traded for Edgar Renteria, someone thought he was going to turn out. I am one of those supporters. Not to be biased, but I am always in the frame of mind of not wanting to keep around a player who is going to leave the team anyway, and is basically not even playing for a contract.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
The team is better off with Ozuna playing third this season anyway.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
Being that this is his 5th pro season, I think Ozuna is prime for a breakout.

How long has Crede been at the big league level?

This is his sixth season, yet, you are willing to give Pablo Ozuna a starting job in his fifth because he "is prime for a breakout."

Gimme a break. :headshake