Ozzie Guillen and his tinkering

sox-r-us

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
We could have been 6-1 or 7-0 without the tinkering  :D

Maybe so, but it's more important early in a season for a manager to learn what the members of his team can and cannot do. I'll trade 2 or 3 early losses if it saves us 5 or 6 down the road.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 09:57 PM)
Are you somehow suggesting you are not happy with the Sox being in first place?

I am suggesting Ozzie needs to learn when to bench his players

Not when you are playing against the division rivals in a division as crowded as ours with a day off the next day

QUOTE(Wedge @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 09:57 PM)
Maybe so, but it's more important early in a season for a manager to learn what the members of his team can and cannot do.  I'll trade 2 or 3 early losses if it saves us 5 or 6 down the road.

Nothing wrong with that except that with the way the schedule is right now, I rather have our A team firing against the division....AGAIN ESPECIALLY WITH AN OFF DAY TOMORROW

If he benches someone against the BJs, Devil Rays, Mariners etc, I have no qualms....I do have issues when he does it against the Twinkies and Injuns....two teams that are our bigggest threat to the division (Don't tell Dmitri Young I said that though :bang )

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 09:57 PM)
Are you somehow suggesting you are not happy with the Sox being in first place?

Are you somehow suggesting that we should not look at improving any of our decision making? We must have won the WS for the last 5 years then.....

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 05:08 PM)
I am suggesting Ozzie needs to learn when to bench his players

Not when you are playing against the division rivals in a division as crowded as ours with a day off the next day

The indians are in our division but our rival? If you say so. Two days off in a row for a catcher and shortstop is even better. Then they both may be able to go 5-7 games if needed... at least five.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 10:11 PM)
The indians are in our division but our rival? If you say so.  Two days off in a row for a catcher and shortstop is even better. Then they both may be able to go 5-7 games if needed... at least five.

qwerty

Do you consider the Injuns as a threat to win the division? I do....especially with the pitching of Millwood as seen by all twice now

When Sabathia gets back, this division will be a 3 team race unless there are some major injuries. In fact I would not be shocked at all if it comes down to between us and the Indians with Twinkies out of it by all star game (given they have Morneau and Mauer batting in the 4th and 3rd spot respectively)

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 05:13 PM)
qwerty

Do you consider the Injuns as a threat to win the division? I do....especially with the pitching of Millwood as seen by all twice now

When Sabathia gets back, this division will be a 3 team race unless there are some major injuries. In fact I would not be shocked at all if it comes down to between us and the Indians with Twinkies out of it by all star game (given they have Morneau and Mauer batting in the 4th and 3rd spot respectively)

Indians are not a threat this year. Their hitting is overated and i am not going by the first week of the season. I said it in the off-season. There pitching is meh. No way in hell millwood keeps this up. I do like their bullpen even though no one agree with me.

They will finish in third this year. Might have a shot at first in a year or two.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)
Are you somehow suggesting that we should not look at improving any of our decision making? We must have won the WS for the last 5 years then.....

You know what, Ozzie's the manager and he played many years in the bigs, I think he knows a little more then you about baseball. We all disagree with him at times and all want to play manager at times, hell I disagreed with putting Damaso in to start the 9th, I wanted shingo in there but it worked. The sox are 5 and 2 right now, so he's obviously doing something right, managers are going to make mistakes and ozzie's no different but not everything he does has to be critiqued.

Ok I will let it go now. I guess pointing out something that I believe to be a mistake is not allowed here.

I would like us to kick the division rivals hard early to set up a lead we can maintain despite when we do go in a slump (which will happen...happens to every team).

Ozzie is responsible for the one loss with his BP tinkering.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
Those three Jacks sure were his fault. :rolly

It was his fault that he did not remove Shingo after the 2nd jack. But wait, he did not have anyone to go to in the pen. But wait, that was because he had 3 relievers go through one inning despite all 3 looking good.....ding ding ding....yes, that was Ozzie's fault. Yes Shingo blew it, but his manager did him no favors by having someone behind him in case he had an off day. That is what managers do....they manage for the worst case situation. Ozzie failed miserably at it.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
Those three Jacks sure were his fault. :rolly

Exactly. When you manage a game to the point where you have your closer in with 2 outs and a 2 run lead and no men on, you expect him to get the job done and to win. That loss was on Shingo, not on Ozzie.

Ok I will let it go now. I guess pointing out something that I believe to be a mistake is not allowed here.

That's just not true.

When you start a thread like this, and the topic is subject to debate because it's based on opinion, you should expect that people will present an opposing viewpoint. That's all.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)
It was his fault that he did not remove Shingo after the 2nd jack. But wait, he did not have anyone to go to in the pen. But wait, that was because he had 3 relievers go through one inning despite all 3 looking good.....ding ding ding....yes, that was Ozzie's fault. Yes Shingo blew it, but his manager did him no favors by having someone behind him in case he had an off day. That is what managers do....they manage for the worst case situation. Ozzie failed miserably at it.

Hindsight is 20-20. This thread sucks major donkey.