Piniero pushed up against Sox

Not sure what the original schedule was but with Meche a little sore, we get Joel on Friday. He's a great talent but has kind of had Kip Wells disease lately with injuries and ineffectiveness thanks to a lack of consistent health. What does this mean? In 01, Joel went 7 innings with only 1 ER, but in 03 and 04 he went 6 iinings-3er, and 7 innings-6 er respectively. Hopefully we continue the recent trend. I'd imagine that Pineiro is limited to at most 5 innings.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
Brian and I will be at saturday's game.  Just look for the guy in a Mariners jersey fighting with a chick in a Konerko jersey. ;)

I'll be there Saturday as well, you guys know who is supposed to go for the Ms? I figure its Buehrle for the Sox. (I will most likely be in my Sox Pride shirt with the 1983 Sox hat)

edit: It looks like it will be Gil Meche for the M's via their website.

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
I will be there friday as well.  Battle of the Underachievers -- Joel Piniero vs. Jon Garland. :lol:

Piniero is not an under achiever, far from it. Try he has had some injuries that f***ed him up. Whenhe gets going again he will be very good. Not sure if we will ever see garland get going period.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 04:56 PM)
Piniero's ERA has increased over a 4-year span starting in 2001.

:huh:

He has a career 3.66 era is better than anyone of our staff i believe. Exclude last year because he was only bad due to injuries and then they shut him down for the rest of the year for health reasons. He is far from an underachiever... he is more like one of the best young pitchers in baseball. He would easily be out number two starter if not our possibly our number one.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)
Buehrle & Garcia>Piniero IMO

Garcia has pitched in the same park pineiro has almost his entire career and has worse numbers almost all the way around. Only thing garcia really beats him in is innings pitched. I would also take buehrle over pineiro but if buehrle considering the numbers he has put up while pitching half of his games at this park.

Garcia has pitched in the same park pineiro has almost his entire career and has worse numbers almost all the way around. Only thing garcia really beats him in is innings pitched. I would also take buehrle over pineiro but if buehrle considering the numbers he has put up while pitching half of his games at this park.

So you would take a pitcher with injury problems over a workhorse like Freddy? Ridiculous.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 06:51 PM)
No offense, but you're sounding like a Cub fan with this "when he's healthy" s***.  Give me results over potential.

If he was in our rotation who do you think would be higher garcia or pineiro? I know who i would put. Fact is through out pinero's career he has been a better pitcher than garcia. Now i am not saying i do not like garcia just saying who i would rather have.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)
If he was in our rotation who do you think would be higher garcia or pineiro? I know who i would put. Fact is through out pinero's career he has been a better pitcher than garcia. Now i am not saying i do not like garcia just saying who i would rather have.

I honestly haven't seen Pinero pitch enough, but as he has pitched more innings each year, his WHIP and ERA increased. I'd put him as our number 3, but I can't see him being above Garcia.

He wouldn't even be in our rotation. He would probably be on the DL...

Joel Piñeiro

15-day DL as of Mar 27, 2005 (Sore right shoulder)

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
He wouldn't even be in our rotation.  He would probably be on the DL...

Joel Piñeiro

Not what i am saying. I know he is on the dl.

Fact is he has been a better pitcher thus far. Now will that hold up? I nor anyone else knows what will happen.

Edited by qwerty

Either way, Piniero would be an awesome pickup for the Sox to look at if Contreras or Garland has a real piss poor season. That what Kenny seems to do well, buy low -- I don't think he sells high enough, but whatever. I remember Piniero having wickid stuff.

Then again, I don't know where the room is in our rotation. I believe we still have Garland's rights till 2006 or 2007, with Contreras and Hernandez each locked up through next year. Plus, McCarthy will get a shot next year. I'd bet that one of Contreras/Garland ends up in Texas by 2006, but that's just a hunch.

Oh, yeah, speaking of rotations -- how about Buehrle/Garcia/Japanese-24-year-old-who-throws-the-gyro-ball/Mac/Hernandez? That's be nice... :)