Excel Help

Gene Honda Civic

There's gotta be somebody around here with better knowledge of Excel than me. -- The only time I've ever really had to use it was '97 for a EE class that was mostly on, get this, FORTRAN.

So anyway, I've got a large table of data (26x175)... How do I pin the column headings so that when I scroll down to the bottom of the data, the headings stay fixed at the top of my screen?

I didn't know how to even begin to phrase this question to get the right answer through the Micro$oft help or other websites.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
There's gotta be somebody around here with better knowledge of Excel than me.  -- The only time I've ever really had to use it was '97 for a EE class that was mostly on, get this, FORTRAN.

So anyway, I've got a large table of data (26x175)... How do I pin the column headings so that when I scroll down to the bottom of the data, the headings stay fixed at the top of my screen?

I didn't know how to even begin to phrase this question to get the right answer through the Micro$oft help or other websites.

Ahh yes good ol Excel. Something like Lock Column Headings, under one of the toolbars somewhere IIRC.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 01:00 AM)
There's gotta be somebody around here with better knowledge of Excel than me.  -- The only time I've ever really had to use it was '97 for a EE class that was mostly on, get this, FORTRAN.

Select the left most cell in the first row below the headings. From the tool bar select Window > Freeze Panes.

Ta da.

If you choose, you can select a column to the right, it will freeze both columns and rows. Undo is Window > Unfreeze Panes

QUOTE(TLAK @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 09:31 PM)
Select the left most cell in the first row below the headings.  From the tool bar select Window > Freeze Panes.

Ta da.

If you choose, you can select a column to the right, it will freeze both columns and rows.  Undo is Window > Unfreeze Panes

I knew it was something like that. Almost 2 years ago, I did an IT course on Excel on a lot of that stuff with macros etc.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 06:31 AM)
Select the left most cell in the first row below the headings.  From the tool bar select Window > Freeze Panes.

Ta da.

If you choose, you can select a column to the right, it will freeze both columns and rows.  Undo is Window > Unfreeze Panes

What he said.

Excel is your friend, learn to love it! ;) (I practically live in a spreadsheet all day at my job.)

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 07:37 AM)
What he said.

Excel is your friend, learn to love it! ;)  (I practically live in a spreadsheet all day at my job.)

Me too. I'm self taught. Learning is fun! :D

Steff,

I understand that you're trying to look intellectually superior here. I'm not idiot. Of course I used the "help" feature. The problem being, you have to know correct wording to get the desired results. I didn't know that it was called "freeze panes" and without those keywords, help is f***ing useless.

Thanks for your "help" though.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
Steff,

I understand that you're trying to look intellectually superior here.  I'm not idiot.  Of course I used the "help" feature.  The problem being, you have to know correct wording to get the desired results.  I didn't know that it was called "freeze panes" and without those keywords, help is f***ing useless.

Thanks for your "help" though.

Actually no I wasn't. Your post implied, to me, you didn't know there was a tab within Excel but went to a microsoft website to obtain help. Excuse me as the last thing I want to do is try to look intellectually anything around here... :rolly

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 02:05 PM)
Actually no I wasn't. Your post implied, to me, you didn't know there was a tab within Excel but went to a microsoft website to obtain help. Excuse me as the last thing I want to do is try to look intellectually anything around here...  :rolly

You both are all screwed up. Look at the original post, Steff. That's what we was :huh about. You must've missed that.

QUOTE(mreye @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
You both are all screwed up. Look at the original post, Steff. That's what we was  :huh  about. You must've missed that.

I saw it, but I misinterpreted it as it looks to me like he went to a microsoft help page versus using the excel help. No big deal..

Other than him thinking I was calling him an idiot.. :headshake