Gun at Bush's head: Art or threat

YASNY

I dont get art either, but how anyone calls something they don't get, "stupid" is, well, pretty stupid IMHO. I don't get nuclear physics either, but I sure ain't calling it stupid.

What I'm much more concerned with is the fact that Secret Service was sent to "investigate" a f***ing college art fair. And the reference to the other kid who was "questioned" after making anti-war drawings. This is America, and you should have the right to draw anything you want without fear of government interference.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 07:14 AM)
I dont get art either, but how anyone calls something they don't get, "stupid" is, well, pretty stupid IMHO.  I don't get nuclear physics either, but I sure ain't calling it stupid.

What I'm much more concerned with is the fact that Secret Service was sent to "investigate" a f***ing college art fair.  And the reference to the other kid who was "questioned" after making anti-war drawings.  This is America, and you should have the right to draw anything you want without fear of government interference.

Just like the kids who draw pictures of wiping out their classmates...Dam I just wish people wouldn't interfere with peoples freedoms.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 07:14 AM)
I dont get art either, but how anyone calls something they don't get, "stupid" is, well, pretty stupid IMHO.  I don't get nuclear physics either, but I sure ain't calling it stupid.

What I'm much more concerned with is the fact that Secret Service was sent to "investigate" a f***ing college art fair.  And the reference to the other kid who was "questioned" after making anti-war drawings.  This is America, and you should have the right to draw anything you want without fear of government interference.

Threatening the life of the President is a federal crime. I'm not sure that this "art" falls under the "threat" category, but they certainly do have the right to investigate it.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 08:17 AM)
Threatening the life of the President is a federal crime.  I'm not sure that this "art" falls under the "threat" category, but they certainly do have the right to investigate it.

Painting a picture of the President with a gun to his head is no more a threat on the President's life than a Mariano Rivera effigy doll hanging in Fenway Park is a threat to his.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 07:21 AM)
Painting a picture of the President with a gun to his head is no more a threat on the President's life than a Mariano Rivera effigy doll hanging in Fenway Park is a threat to his.

Of course, there are no federal laws protecting Mariano Rivera.

Right or wrong, the government takes ANYTHING that could be PERCEIVED as a threat to the President very seriously and investigates it. Make an off-handed comment about wanting to kill the President in a public place and you very well may get a visit from the Secret Service. It's happened numerous times before, and one of these people later hijakced a plane at BWI, planning to fly it into the White House back in the early '70s. After that incident, the asassinations of Lincoln and JFK, and the attempted asassination of Reagan, the Secret Service doesn't mess around.

Edited by TheBigHurt35

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 07:17 AM)
Just like the kids who draw pictures of wiping out their classmates...Dam I just wish people wouldn't interfere with peoples freedoms.

Yeah, how dare they? :headshake

Some things you just don't do and expect people to just pass it over. One is ANY kind of threat against a President, and the other is just saying "bomb" on a plane. I for one am glad that some forms of our "freedom" are questioned and are investigated.

Oh yeah, and it is crap.

Edited by Kid Gleason

The Secret Service also investigated a kid with a bumper sticker that said "King George -- Off With His Head" playing on satire and my personal favorite -- investigating a high school talent show because the band played a cover of the Dylan song "Masters of War" which some students said had a threat to the President in it [its difficult for it to have an anti-Bush message when the song was written way before he took office]

And CC, there is a difference. The author of this piece of work is over 18 and therefore an adult has fully protected rights in the Constitution. However, minors have different Constitutional rights when they enter the schoolhouse. There are different regulations to meet in schools to have a 4th Amendment viable search, etc. So your statement is a misnomer since a minor's freedoms can be curtailed in the school.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
I also don't think it's either, but I know it's certainly not art. So if I had to pick one, I'd pick threat.

Idiotic statment. You have no authority to deem what is or isn't art. You can have your own opinion, but that's not what you're saying in the above post.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)
Idiotic statment.  You have no authority to deem what is or isn't art.  You can have your own opinion, but that's not what you're saying in the above post.

Call it an idiotic statement if you want. You know who I was supporting so it shouldn't surprise you. That is my opinion and that's not art to me. If you think pointing a gun at the president's head is art, then be my guest.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
Call it an idiotic statement if you want. You know who I was supporting so it shouldn't surprise you. That is my opinion and that's not art to me. If you think pointing a gun at the president's head is art, then be my guest.

Even if you don't think it is "art" which is a wholly subjective term, he's still got the right to produce it if he is so inclined. But at least nobody tried destroying this guy's piece unlike last year with an Israeli ambassador taking out a piece called "Snow White and the Madness of Truth" -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_White_an...adness_of_Truth has the story of the piece, author and what the author's message is. A photo of the piece is below.

feilerinstallation.jpg

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)

I don't care whether anyone thinks it's art or not. You were not stating an opinion when you say--"I know it's certainly not art" and that is what I called an idiotic statement. Not your opinion.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 10:40 AM)
What's been lost in this discussion is that fact that it's only an investigation.  The artist's right to free speech/expression has not been violated.

Nothings lost.. right on track, IMO. YAS asked "art or threat" not even questioning rights.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 10:40 AM)
What's been lost in this discussion is that fact that it's only an investigation.  The artist's right to free speech/expression has not been violated.

I have a big problem with artwork being investigated by federal authorities. It creates a chilling effect towards the exercise of free expression. And those who believe in democracy and American ideals that we hold dear ought to have a problem with it too.

QUOTE(winodj @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 04:16 PM)
I have a big problem with artwork being investigated by federal authorities. It creates a chilling effect towards the exercise of free expression. And those who believe in democracy and American ideals that we hold dear ought to have a problem with it too.

You need to stop getting your panties in a bunch. Here is the correct take on this.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeper/cst-nws-roep18.html